Electric slide downward

Important enough that changes would cause you to abandon the sport?

Yes, absolutely.

I stopped watching Indy Car and F1 because of it. Never watched or attended Busch races till they went from V-6 to V-8's.
Just me, the sound of a finely tuned, naturally aspirated 500 to 700HP V-8 engine at full song is like a symphony to me. :booya::punkrocke

Yes, absolutely.

I stopped watching Indy Car and F1 because of it. Never watched or attended Busch races till they went from V-6 to V-8's.
Just me, the sound of a finely tuned, naturally aspirated 500 to 700HP V-8 engine at full song is like a symphony to me. :booya::punkrocke
I 'Liked' this because you provided an explanation, even though I don't agree with it in the least.

Reactions: sdj

When the normally aspirated screamers left F-1 and the cars started sounding like a riding lawnmower .......... yes. But to be fair, the honcho for F-1 was very concerned about the poor sound of the cars as well during the transition to the turbo v-6. The Mercedes domination was another reason I quit F-1. I spend a great deal of my TV time watching pro cycling events, they are supposed to be quiet and I have limited time to watch any other programing. Moto-GP has kept me interested and I stick with NASCAR ... but barely

The hard part about IndyCar is the smell of the corn-based fuel they use.

But I've had much more fun at IndyCar races than NASCAR. Watching those cars fly through the streets of Baltimore is an experience I'll never forget. :wub:

Sorry I'm blanking on where to find this at the moment, but the most recent I read around the IMSA Petit Le Mans weekend was that NASCAR has taken over, or at least taken a more active role in, forming IMSA's new prototype regulations set to debut in 2022. The plan is reportedly to use IMSA as a test bed/developmental program with a ~50 HP KERS unit for two years with a similar system debuting in NASCAR in 2024.

FWIW, the F1 V8s with the KERS unit were probably some of the best-sounding race cars anywhere in recent memory.

Edit: Found it -
NASCAR likely to follow IMSA’s lead on hybrid tech
https://racer.com/2019/10/12/nascar-likely-to-follow-imsas-lead-on-hybrid-tech/

Yes, absolutely.

I almost always side with more horsepower crowd. But I watched a lot of great Busch races with those V6 engines.

The weakest link in a car in this part of the country is the battery. When the temperature goes down so does the efficiency of the battery. I understand it also goes down at higher temps too.

The weakest link in a car in this part of the country is the battery. When the temperature goes down so does the efficiency of the battery. I understand it also goes down at higher temps too.
I don't think that's going to be a problem for race cars.

I don't get the obsession with how the cars sound.
My first race was Bristol in 90. When Harry Grant took that first qualifying lap and I not only could hear that beautiful tune down the backstretch but FEEL it when he came through turns 3 and 4, I was in love. Hybrids may not kill that, but all electric, as some allude us going to, SUCKS.

So yeah, sound has something to add. For anyone worried about hearing, there are ear plugs. And they sound as awesome through those as well.

NASCAR will be recording V8 725 Hp acceleration to respond with the acceleration of the electric motors. Each car will have 12 speakers to blast the sound.

The Truck series ran their first couple of seasons with 5-minute competition cautions at the halfway point, restarting in the same order as before the stops.
My point was that it evolved beyond that as the series grew.

The bad side of the elimination of the Truck Race breaks, was, now the cost of having to have full time pit crews and way more people subsequently eliminated what the series was suppose to do, which is, allow small budget teams that want to compete and try and get ahead. Now it's big bucks to play in the truck series.

Don't get me wrong, The Truck series is my favorite out of the three top series at this point in time. With that being said, I would be fine with going back to the original format in Trucks. JMHO.

This is a photo of Black Tip Racings #00 out of Ft Myers, Florida at Homestead, in the early days. I helped some on this team at the time. When it changed they were GONE.

#00 Truck.jpg

Last edited:
If they go a hybrid system (which it looks like they are), that may be it for me as a fan. I agree the cars should be a tad quieter. But I don't want to hear anything with a whining noise. I might as well watch IndyCar or F1.

Saw Pockrass tweeted this out yesterday.

NASCAR plans as early as 2022 to have an electrification component that can store energy and then potentially can be used for a performance boost a la push to pass and/or to be used under caution and/or braking.

If think a push to pass button is where I draw the line in the sand and stop watching

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

NASCAR will be recording V8 725 Hp acceleration to respond with the acceleration of the electric motors. Each car will have 12 speakers to blast the sound.
Some gas powered cars already have something like that running through the sound system in the car (fortunately you can turn it off).

If think a push to pass button is where I draw the line in the sand and stop watching

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
You are not alone, going by comments Ive read elsewhere about this, it could drive away a lot of fans. NASCAR going hybird seems to be favorable , but not this P2P crap, its just one more gimmick, but , it fits with NASCARs top brass and their love for gimmicks.

It feels like they are trying to completely change NASCAR into a different series.

Indy uses P2P only on street and road courses. I can't see NASCAR owners incorporating a technology that radical for on only 1/12th of the schedule.

Back
Top Bottom