Erik Jones Appreciation Thread

Damn it! I was going to start this thread!!!!!! LOL. Nice job. Jones in the 20. Count on it.

I am not into personal driver stories, but it is impossible to ignore what this kid has been through. Lost in the NASCAR meat grinder is the fact that he lost his Dad. This guy handled all of that with such poise and grace. Huge stones. I am going to correct myself....He isn't a "kid," he is a man. Really enjoyed this win.

I said it in another thread, and I will say it here....Erik Jones is better than Chase Elliott.

Yep very good win. This guy knows how to wheel a ride and has shown flashes. He's tore up some equipment but when he starts reeling off wins that won't matter anymore.

(+1)step for Erik Jones

I’m glad the kid got a win at a place like darlington. I barely remember his Daytona win.

Damn it! I was going to start this thread!!!!!! LOL. Nice job. Jones in the 20. Count on it.

I am not into personal driver stories, but it is impossible to ignore what this kid has been through. Lost in the NASCAR meat grinder is the fact that he lost his Dad. This guy handled all of that with such poise and grace. Huge stones. I am going to correct myself....He isn't a "kid," he is a man. Really enjoyed this win.

I said it in another thread, and I will say it here....Erik Jones is better than Chase Elliott.
I think we've talked about this in PM Rev, but I agree that Jones is a better talent than Chase.

A buddy of mine and I were talking about this, predicted a breakout 6+ win season for him next year.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Only time I’ve ever been happy to see Kyle not win. He is my second favorite along with Kyle Larson. His driving style reminds me of Kenseth or Biffle

Disagree he's better than Chase, but he's certainly better than Blaney and the others.
I agree. Head to head in the same equipment I think that Chase would pull further ahead and stay ahead.

Chase drives for Hendrick motorsports and one of the winningest rides in the history of the sport. He also gets the top resources while Erik is competing directly against Kyle Busch, Hamlin, and truex for resources. Chase has 19 year old Byron, bowman, and past his prime Jimmie. Erik is also in his 3rd season, same year chase had his big jump in performance last year. Let's wait and see

Chase drives for Hendrick motorsports and one of the winningest rides in the history of the sport. He also gets the top resources while Erik is competing directly against Kyle Busch, Hamlin, and truex for resources. Chase has 19 year old Byron, bowman, and past his prime Jimmie. Erik is also in his 3rd season, same year chase had his big jump in performance last year. Let's wait and see
One of the winningest ride/numbers in the history of the sport.....except with completely different personnel.
Remember back when the 43 was a threat?
Would Chase be in the 9 based on merit if his last name wasn’t Elliott?
Probably not.

One of the winningest ride/numbers in the history of the sport.....except with completely different personnel.
Remember back when the 43 was a threat?
Would Chase be in the 9 based on merit if his last name wasn’t Elliott?
Probably not.

Imagine comparing the #1 ride at Hendrick motorsports to the petty 43 that has won one rain shortened race since 1999

Erik was excellent in Xfinity same as Larson, Blaney, Elliott. I've got all 4 of them on the same tier driving talent wise.

People forget Erik led 260 laps @ Bristol his Cup rookie year in the #77, only to finish 2nd to the boss man Kyle. That was a noticeable flash of talent.

Short on experience before, it is all starting to come together for him now.

So you're saying Chase gets more resources at Hendrick than Erik does at JGR? I'm calling BS on that one. Both teams are flush with cash. Erik gets the exact same equipment every week that Kyle, Hamlin amd Truex get. It's the same story with Chase and those other guys at Hendrick. It's too soon to pick one over the other maybe in another 3 years we look back and see who has done what in top notch equipment. It's worth noting that Hendrick has been a little off the past few years (they're havent been putting winning cars on the track) with Chase carrying the team while JGR and FRR were always up front. But I still wouldn't give him or Erik a nod one way or the other.

So you're saying Chase gets more resources at Hendrick than Erik does at JGR? I'm calling BS on that one. Both teams are flush with cash. Erik gets the exact same equipment every week that Kyle, Hamlin amd Truex get. It's the same story with Chase and those other guys at Hendrick. It's too soon to pick one over the other maybe in another 3 years we look back and see who has done what in top notch equipment. It's worth noting that Hendrick has been a little off the past few years (they're havent been putting winning cars on the track) with Chase carrying the team while JGR and FRR were always up front. But I still wouldn't give him or Erik a nod one way or the other.
Driver ability is always a factor.

Erik was excellent in Xfinity same as Larson, Blaney, Elliott. I've got all 4 of them on the same tier driving talent wise.

People forget Erik led 260 laps @ Bristol his Cup rookie year in the #77, only to finish 2nd to the boss man Kyle. That was a noticeable flash of talent.

Truck champion for KBM

Been a fan of this kid since I saw him in Trucks. Just so much talent, Erik is a future Cup Champion. Multi time champ. Some said Erik reminds them of Kenseth that’s a good comparison. He reminds me of a cross between Davey Allison, Ernie Irvan and Kenseth. Good on short tracks and super speedways like Davey, has that lap by lap speed Ernie had and...learning not to drive above his equipment to bring it home like Matt

Last edited:
Now this is one forum trend I can get behind. Driver appreciation threads show what we like about each driver and how interesting their story was behind getting into NASCAR, and how they merit their place on the grid among the best stock car drivers in the world.

Erik proved the doubters wrong last night and won at the toughest track on the schedule. Hell, he has won at two of the most sought after places on the schedule that most can only dream of winning at. As time has gone on, he's gotten more and more experienced, and it is all starting to come together for him. Watch for him to start winning a bit more regularly a la Chase Elliott.

Been a fan of this kid since I saw him in Trucks. Just so much talent, Erik is a future Cup Champion. Multi time champ. Some said Erik reminds them of Kenseth that’s a good comparison. He reminds me of a cross between Davey Allison, Ernie Irvan and Kenseth. Good on short tracks and super speedways like Davey, has that lap by lap speed Ernie had and...learning not to drive above his equipment to bring it home like Matt
Matt was certainly one of the more patient drivers. He’d be lurking all race long and be there at the end.
He was a lot like Mark Martin.

This. Erik is the real deal. I thought he was the next all timer about 2 yrs ago tbh

Erik Jones is a good guy and an excellent driver... and he's learned from his early mistakes. I remember when he was a greenhorn teenager in KBM trucks. I've forgotten exactly which race, but Erik was in a position to win but he got beat... and then gave a petulant, whiny interview before stomping off like his veins had popped... exactly like his truck owner KDB does rather frequently.

The following Monday, the Race Hub guys led by Larry Mac ripped Jones a new ass for his boorish, petulant post race behavior. I mean, I can't remember Race Hub ever criticizing a driver that way before or since. And on Tuesday, they said Jones had requested to appear on the show. He totally owned his bad behavior, and offered a sincere apology. And he's never done that again AFAIK. So good on him for that.

"That Jones Boy" marched through the truck series and Xfinity series in impressive fashion. And in his 100th cup start, he posted his second victory, winning the freaking Southern 500 at Darlington... the Holy Grail of drivers' tracks. The future is bright, and he's only 23 years old.

Erik Jones is a good guy and an excellent driver... and he's learned from his early mistakes. I remember when he was a greenhorn teenager in KBM trucks. I've forgotten exactly which race, but Erik was in a position to win but he got beat... and then gave a petulant, whiny interview before stomping off like his veins had popped... exactly like his truck owner KDB does rather frequently.

The following Monday, the Race Hub guys led by Larry Mac ripped Jones a new ass for his boorish, petulant post race behavior. I mean, I can't remember Race Hub ever criticizing a driver that way before or since. And on Tuesday, they said Jones had requested to appear on the show. He totally owned his bad behavior, and offered a sincere apology. And he's never done that again AFAIK. So good on him for that.

"That Jones Boy" marched through the truck series and Xfinity series in impressive fashion. And in his 100th cup start, he posted his second victory, winning the freaking Southern 500 at Darlington... the Holy Grail of drivers' tracks. The future is bright, and he's only 23 years old.

Wait a minute he's only 23!? Holy ****. I thought he was older than that. So he's basically on Logano penske trajectory...

Well said.

As a long-time Kenseth fan, I swore I would never cheer for the 20 car again (I'm petty like that). But I will say that Jones has impressed the heck out of me the last few months.

I am wondering if that interview was at Martinsville. I think I recall it and was immediately turned off. It took a while for me to come around and like the kid.

Honestly have more respect for Jones than when he was in Trucks and Xfinty, as long as he becomes more like Truex rather than Busch and Hamlin personality wise.
I'd rather he becomes Jones like.

Gibbs better keep him around. Not just because he's good, but also because he's the only likeable driver in the JGR stable :D

Post of the year. Well said.
His "candid" start finish line interview seemed to shed some insight towards that. Maybe it's that I just haven't paid much attention to Erik Jones, the person. But him winning the race certainly grabbed my attention.

I may have found a new favorite driver after Jimmie retires tbh.

Back
Top Bottom