F1 2020 News/Misc.

FLRacingFan

Team Owner
Car launches begin this week:

OziE_qi8

So what's a launch? I Googled 'F1 car launches' but I only got a list of dates; no explanation. Are these individual team media days?

So what's a launch? I Googled 'F1 car launches' but I only got a list of dates; no explanation. Are these individual team media days?
Kind of. A big team media thing and they reveal their 2020 cars for the first time. A couple of teams have put out their 2020 liveries but on older cars. This is the first anyone sees of new-spec cars before preseason testing starts next week.

Mercedes new trick is a pretty cool one:

Now, notice as Hamilton pulls up on the wheel it changes the tow angle of the right front and changes the track width of the left-front. This is damn cool, I'll read up on the rules, but its totally legal because its manually operated and not automatically done. Craig Scarborough is a former engineer and has a diagram:

I'm not an engineer, but I have a feeling this will catch on for other disciplines.
@StandOnIt @aunty dive @FLRacingFan
I would like your guys input on this deal, I know it cannot be the first time this has been done.

Here is another gif in closer detail:

Mercedes new trick is a pretty cool one:

Now, notice as Hamilton pulls up on the wheel it changes the tow angle of the right front and changes the track width of the left-front. This is damn cool, I'll read up on the rules, but its totally legal because its manually operated and not automatically done. Craig Scarborough is a former engineer and has a diagram:

I'm not an engineer, but I have a feeling this will catch on for other disciplines.
@StandOnIt @aunty dive @FLRacingFan
I would like your guys input on this deal, I know it cannot be the first time this has been done.

Here is another gif in closer detail:

Looks like it was already banned in the 2021 draft regulations and Mercedes decided to take advantage of it this year while it was still open. Fascinating stuff. Will they actually run it in races? It’ll be interesting to see.

I wish I could drive an F1 car. I'm 6'3" so I may be too big for it.

I never cared for NASCAR or the like. They are always turning left, and going in circles. It is just not as exciting, but F1 is like the premium stuff. It is just almost impossible for any normal person to drive one.

A lap around Zandvoort with Tom Coronel.
The start-finish-straight will likely be the only spot where overtaking is possible and it looks like they've kept most of the gravel traps.

They will add SAFER barriers before the race.

I expect it’ll be insanely hard to pass. Even DTM makes that place look small and narrow a lot of the time. It’ll be crazy to see them at speed around there though, and the atmosphere should be awesome.

I expect it’ll be insanely hard to pass. Even DTM makes that place look small and narrow a lot of the time. It’ll be crazy to see them at speed around there though, and the atmosphere should be awesome.
DTM left Zandvoort after 2018. GT Masters usually puts on a great show, but they can obviously use bumpers.

I think it'll be a great race even though it's going to be terrible hard to pass.
The race has been sold out for months and the fans will go crazy if Max wins.

This coronavirus business might have a serious impact on this year's championship. Already losing a race to it and the virus is spreading to more countrie by the hour.

MotoGP for instance already canned their first two rounds. Ouch.

A lap around Zandvoort with Tom Coronel.
The start-finish-straight will likely be the only spot where overtaking is possible and it looks like they've kept most of the gravel traps.

They will add SAFER barriers before the race.

The entry into turns 3 and 4 look like they might be some good opportunities. It looks like a couple different lines can be run through that combination.

They might have to turn this year as an exhibition year. Run the races that you can but not for points.

RIP 2020 season. 100 deaths in italy today alone.

Beyond this, I really just don't know. Wouldn't surprise me if more races go the Bahrain route or a team or two can't make it and they just cancel races.

McLaren is withdrawing due to a member contracting the Coronavirus:

FIA made it clear they wanted all teams, but I wonder if the move forward or pull the plug now?

McLaren is withdrawing due to a member contracting the Coronavirus:

FIA made it clear they wanted all teams, but I wonder if the move forward or pull the plug now?

Until another team pulls out I feel they will try to move on. Hell if Lewis says he won’t race they might call it off

Guess the teams have time to come up with their own DAS system now.

Back
Top Bottom