F1 2021 News/Misc.

We'll get 4 races on RTL this year, the current plan is Imola, Barcelona, Monza and Interlagos are gonna be on free-TV.

Ahhh yes, the head games are starting already. Can't wait for more HAM/BOT/VER finishes:
EwXltWpXEAAF7kU

I was really impressed with Alphatauri this weekend. Along with McLaren, I thought they looked the best from what I was able to watch. I know that I shouldn't read too much into the lap times from testing as we don't know what fuel loads certain teams may be running, but I am really hoping that RB has closed the gap to Merc and we have a true fight this year. The midfield battle is going to be crazy as always, but F1 needs a true championship battle badly. Maybe this is finally the year.

I was really impressed with Alphatauri this weekend. Along with McLaren, I thought they looked the best from what I was able to watch. I know that I shouldn't read too much into the lap times from testing as we don't know what fuel loads certain teams may be running, but I am really hoping that RB has closed the gap to Merc and we have a true fight this year. The midfield battle is going to be crazy as always, but F1 needs a true championship battle badly. Maybe this is finally the year.
I didn’t see much beyond times, but just looking at those I do expect the midfield to be pretty wild again. I’m always supremely skeptical of Mercedes claiming they’re off the pace but with how Red Bull ended the season I wouldn’t be surprised if they’re more competitive to start off than last year. And even if Mercedes are on their back foot a little there’s no one else who’s better at bouncing back and making gains within a couple of weeks at the factory.

I didn’t see much beyond times, but just looking at those I do expect the midfield to be pretty wild again. I’m always supremely skeptical of Mercedes claiming they’re off the pace but with how Red Bull ended the season I wouldn’t be surprised if they’re more competitive to start off than last year. And even if Mercedes are on their back foot a little there’s no one else who’s better at bouncing back and making gains within a couple of weeks at the factory.

I agree with all of this. I've learned my lesson doubting Merc in the past, I won't make that mistake again. However, RB have arguably the best driver lineup on the grid, which isn't something they've had for the past couple of seasons and that will hopefully allow them to stay closer in the beginning of the year if the Merc's are really off the pace. Should be fun to watch.

Jeddah looks like a mix of Valencia, Singapore, with some of the narrowness of Monaco.

It's going to be a choo-choo train fest, I do not see many passing zones. Probably more passing zones here than rights for women, but here we are:

Looks like either a procession or a ****show with multiple red flags or safety cars.

Jeddah looks like a mix of Valencia, Singapore, with some of the narrowness of Monaco.

It's going to be a choo-choo train fest, I do not see many passing zones. Probably more passing zones here than rights for women, but here we are:

My favorite comment: "The first F1 race where the post race fireworks are launched from another country." 🤣

But seriously, that track is narrow. And for the love of everything holy, we don't need that many "corners".

My favorite comment: "The first F1 race where the post race fireworks are launched from another country." 🤣

But seriously, that track is narrow. And for the love of everything holy, we don't need that many "corners".
Hopefully no missiles have to be intercepted like during the Formula E event a few weeks ago...

Man if you want to run a drag race just run a drag race

*Begins screaming internally*

$500K a year and some paid internships to local kids is a bit of a joke, quite honestly. The locals hate the idea still but the commissioners can now pat themselves on the back for getting a rather paltry sum of money for the trouble.

Give it a few years and both this and COTA will be off the calendar, and we’ll be left with the U.S. GP at Indy (which I’m okay with).

$500K a year and some paid internships to local kids is a bit of a joke, quite honestly. The locals hate the idea still but the commissioners can now pat themselves on the back for getting a rather paltry sum of money for the trouble.

Give it a few years and both this and COTA will be off the calendar, and we’ll be left with the U.S. GP at Indy (which I’m okay with).
Caesars Palace or Detroit all over again, you think?

I hope it pans out well tbh, but my expectations depends on how the racing is. This could very well be the American "Monaco GP" on the calendar.

Caesars Palace or Detroit all over again, you think?

I hope it pans out well tbh, but my expectations depends on how the racing is. This could very well be the American "Monaco GP" on the calendar.
I definitely think it's good we get a shot at a second race in the U.S. but I'm always skeptical of one that is subject to local support so heavily. They didn't want it downtown and then they moved it to a neighborhood where it still isn't viewed entirely favorably. I don't think anything could be as bad as Caesars Palace, it might even be decent by the renderings. But I think it will hinge a lot on how the locals view it over time and how surprised fans are when they show up and they're not at South Beach but in a parking lot grandstand.

One of the articles this week said they're still looking at Indy and even Las Vegas (news to me?) as potential COTA replacements if it falls off so I think either way F1 will have a home in the U.S. for the foreseeable future.

Noob question...apologies I’m advance.

Why do they step on a scale right after the race? Is there a driver+car weight rule?

I think I have decided to capture the Monaco race in a couple weeks on dvr and
not view it till the morning of the indy 500. I will watch out for spoiler opportunities
during the week but I think I can do it. Just want a little nostalgia of them olden days!

Back
Top Bottom