F1 2022 News/Misc.

Crazy sanctioning fees ...

Ehhhh. There's a $25m sanctioning fee for COTA. Divide that by 300,000 tickets and you have to sell each ticket at $83 to break-even. They get more than that for attendance over the weekend and the average ticket price is at least 2 or 3 times $83.

I think most tracks that aren't paying the highest figures are making big money, JMO.

I think it is perfect for a race that is much closer to a landfill, warehouses, and a Wal-Mart than it is to anything anyone first thinks of when they hear “Miami”.
they can have a boat show there as the racing is going on. I'd wager 10 years from now, this race wont even be on the calendar. But I am excited that the US is somehow having 3 races in the next few years or so...... crazy.

I can see Piastri being on loan to Williams next year. Also, I'm not going to lie, Mick might not have a long of a leash as some think.
Agree with both of those for sure. I’m unsure of what happens in 2024 though, Ocon is signed through that season and Alonso is rumored to be near an extension through that year as well. If that happens then I could imagine some good seats opening up that year that may be intriguing to Oscar.

Everything old is new again.

Great article. Looks like we are repeating history 40 years later.

...the sidepods weren’t stiff enough

“Williams appreciated the loads involved and made the chassis rigid and simple.

This sounds exactly like the problem with Mercedes.

“After the 79, we found more downforce in the wind tunnel – a massive amount more. We took [the 80] to Brazil and had porpoising problems. “

To get the maximum downforce, you need an inlet, a flat section and then an exit. But if the centre of pressure is in front of the flat bit, it brings the nose down, which then chokes off the airflow, which brings the nose up again – so it starts porpoising.

“That’s when we learnt you can have too much of a good thing.”

I can see Piastri being on loan to Williams next year. Also, I'm not going to lie, Mick might not have a long of a leash as some think.
I don't know exactly how much money Latifi brings but he's been awful this year.
Mick won't remain in F1 solely because of his name. He needs to start scoring points.

Is it always this expensive to go to an F1 race? I wanted to take my wife to the Vegas race next year but don’t want to open up a second mortgage to do so. These are insane prices IMO

I think paddock tickets have always been very expensive, grandstand tickets cost way less.
Those are the prices for Miami this weekend which is said to be the most expensive race of 2022.
IMG_20220503_170525.png

I think paddock tickets have always been very expensive, grandstand tickets cost way less.
Those are the prices for Miami this weekend which is said to be the most expensive race of 2022.
View attachment 62943
Those prices still make my cheeks pucker. And they say NASCAR tickets are expensive

Monaco is probably the only ticket more expensive than Miami. Not sure Las Vegas will be more expensive, but it’ll be awfully expensive in its own right. Miami capped attendance at 85K and about 15K is for hospitality.

Is it always this expensive to go to an F1 race? I wanted to take my wife to the Vegas race next year but don’t want to open up a second mortgage to do so. These are insane prices IMO

I know I looked at Montreal and they started I think about $450

I'm pretty sure you can see more from the comfort of your living room anyway.

F1 is hot in American right now. They can ask whatever they want because it's the "in" thing. However, this is simply gouging. It's a supply and demand kind of thing, and since demand is so high, they just bend everybody over.

This is why I never worry about the popularity of any series. This is one of the things that popularity brings you. There are good things too, but it doesn't matter if you can't afford to go to the race.

I read that Formula One can support 24 cars. If Porsche and Audio come, that's 24, there's no room for Andretti. They aren't going to take Andretti over an auto manufacturer, so he's going to have to buy his way in.

I read that Formula One can support 24 cars. If Porsche and Audio come, that's 24, there's no room for Andretti. They aren't going to take Andretti over an auto manufacturer, so he's going to have to buy his way in.
I think it’s 26 but even still, Audi and Porsche don’t affect that number. Porsche will partner Red Bull (and I assume AlphaTauri) and Audi will partner with or buy out someone else. They tried McLaren, and have been reported to be looking at Williams/Aston/Sauber. So grid numbers won’t change there, value will go up and existing teams won’t have to give up some of their share.

The longer this goes on the less likely it seems. Quite frankly, looking to get the $200M anti-dilution fee waived seems like a bad look. It’s there for a reason and if they can’t or don’t want to pay it how does that help their case? It was already going to be insanely difficult trying to enter as a new entity entirely rather than buying a team and taking over their facilities. The Sauber deal that fell through last year was probably their best shot.

I feel like in a lot of ways Liberty Media is making many of the same mistakes NASCAR made in growing here in the US.

Market chasing, alienating the core fanbase, losing historical tracks, pricing fans out, oversaturation, chasing the casual fan who will abandon the sport at the cost of alienating the diehards

I feel like in a lot of ways Liberty Media is making many of the same mistakes NASCAR made in growing here in the US.

Market chasing, alienating the core fanbase, losing historical tracks, pricing fans out, oversaturation, chasing the casual fan who will abandon the sport at the cost of alienating the diehards
When you’re in a bubble the most important thing is to recognize and realize the reasons why. This will be a good long-term play for F1 if they manage it right. Not all of it is sustainable but that’s never the case anyways.

I have to agree. The parallels are uncanny. New flashy tracks that produce dull racing. A lack of any kind of consistency in the schedule. To me it seems F1 is chasing an American audience and is willing to piss off all the people across the pond to do so.

Isn't Monaco in doubt for the future? That's just awful... not the F1 world I want to live in.

Back
Top Bottom