F1 2022 News/Misc.

I'm ok with Juri getting a second chance, because he was just clowning around and didn't mean to hurt anyone. It was stupid kids just having a little fun and not the same thing as saying "This guy is a ******"

Piquet has spent decades being an assclown, but nothing is going to happen to him anyway. He can explain it away as misinterpretation, but he has talked smack for a lot of years. He's the perfect match for Horner, Marko and Jos.

I think I will root for the Mercedes team this weekend at the drivers home track.
They could use a good strong weekend.

Here is a current sim lap of Silverstone:

Interestingly, Ourand and Stern reported that Amazon attempted to outbid ESPN for the rights, but Liberty opted (likely wisely) to renew with ESPN.
Good choice, $10-25M more won’t do much for F1 and it would neuter most of their TV momentum in the States. The NFL can afford to take that leap with Amazon.

Now if Lewis can win the race, wouldn't that be a hot poker in the butt for Piquet?

Watch. I'm telling you now. You're going to see something special out of Lewis this weekend. All bets are off if that Mercedes sled is porposing again.

Lewis could bring his absolute best ever performance... and if that Mercedes pace is the same. He'll finish 5th

Lewis could bring his absolute best ever performance... and if that Mercedes pace is the same. He'll finish 5th
I think Mercedes' season started in Canada. They seem to have the propoising figured out and they are reasonably competitive. They just need to find a little speed. I'm sure their sim is getting a workout this week!

I think Mercedes' season started in Canada. They seem to have the propoising figured out and they are reasonably competitive. They just need to find a little speed. I'm sure their sim is getting a workout this week!
They need to find a lot of speed. Despite restarting 3rd and with fresher tires then Verstappen.... Verstappen and Sainz lost Mercedes very quickly.

They need to find a lot of speed. Despite restarting 3rd and with fresher tires then Verstappen.... Verstappen and Sainz lost Mercedes very quickly.
The porpoising was killing them and leading down the wrong set up path every time. Now that they (maybe) have a grip on that, they can work the set up to find the speed.

The last thing I am going to do is give up on Hamilton or Mercedes. The championship is probably lost, but at least maybe they can get in there and play spoiler. Rejoice that we are finally getting to see a Hamilton who is no longer sleepwalking through to another championship. The best Hamilton is the one who has to fight like hell, and that's what we are seeing now. If he even gets a within a sniff of a win, we're going to see something really special.

The porpoising was killing them and leading down the wrong set up path every time. Now that they (maybe) have a grip on that, they can work the set up to find the speed.

The last thing I am going to do is give up on Hamilton or Mercedes. The championship is probably lost, but at least maybe they can get in there and play spoiler. Rejoice that we are finally getting to see a Hamilton who is no longer sleepwalking through to another championship. The best Hamilton is the one who has to fight like hell, and that's what we are seeing now. If he even gets a within a sniff of a win, we're going to see something really special.
If Lewis finds the podium I'll say that it was a special drive, especially if no mechanical or weird issues happen to RB or Ferrari. But I'll bet you that he finishes 5th at best.

If Lewis finds the podium I'll say that it was a special drive, especially if no mechanical or weird issues happen to RB or Ferrari. But I'll bet you that he finishes 5th at best.
I'm just hoping we get another manufacture in the fight. The championship is probably out, but Mercedes can certainly mess things up for Red Bull and Ferrari if they get to the front.

I love the new cars (except the porpoising), but F1 just doesn't seem right without Hamilton in the fight. At least he's getting closer.

Not having Hamilton in the fight doesn't bother me so much because it's something different. Watching Russell doing so well is enjoyable and I just keep waiting for Hamilton to suddenly be in the mix again. Gotta be tough for him in the meantime but when he made the podium in the last race it shows he's still got it.

Not having Hamilton in the fight doesn't bother me so much because it's something different.

I like it when Hamilton is in a fight. That's when we can really see how great he is.

Watching Russell doing so well is enjoyable and I just keep waiting for Hamilton to suddenly be in the mix again. Gotta be tough for him in the meantime but when he made the podium in the last race it shows he's still got it.
Well, the car not only sucks, but it beats the snot out of it's drivers. Now that they seem to have a handle on the bouncing maybe they can find some speed. Unfortunately, they have already spotted everyone a half a season.

"While Hamilton wants to see more action taken, he says further incidents can be avoided by not asking for opinions on such topics from older figures who have no direct ties to the sport".
Love to to hear from Mario on this.

He isn't wrong, to be fair.

Mario and Lewis are in two completely different generations. Yes, Mario has been a lot of our ages, but does he really resonate and not from a prespective of driving. I love hearing older drivers talk, but at of the end of the day Lewis is who he is. Listening to older heads, in this case and the dicition being different than it was back then...

Piquet has been known to be a bellend, but adding that mess to the mix makes it even worse.

Instead of Lewis getting angry, he's just going to channel that into a great performance. I don't think we will want to miss this.

Nelson Piquet is a complete asshat, and so is Bernie Ecclestone... and they have both proven that yet again in these last few days. However, Lewis Hamilton is completely off base to make a blanket generalization that F1's older generation is all like that, simply by virtue of being older. That's ridiculous on its face.

Love you, Lewis, but c'mon man, you're way better than that....

Check cleared, so he can finish the season.
I don’t think Juri has much personal backing. Losing whatever Red Bull backing he had and being dropped from the academy was bad enough, I don’t think the guy’s whole career should be ruined for it. I think it’s a fair statement from Hitech that they’re giving him an opportunity to make amends both on the track and away from the track.

I just watched an extended clip from the same interview where he doubles down on the insults directed at LH and even goes on to say that former WC Keke Rosberg was “s**t”, “zero value”. He comes across as pretty bitter. Three world titles and still so bitter. A good race car driver in his day he might have been, but having looked the statistics up, he never had much of a dominant season - even in his title campaigns. He’s a little too far up his own ass. I see why he wasn’t and isn’t too popular.

Nelson talks so much s*** they may as well give him a Red Bull uniform and make it official.

I've been reflecting in recent months on the surge in F1's popularity in the U.S. There are parallels with that time in the mid-1990's when NASCAR suddenly became a white hot pop cultural phenomenon, with explosive "unearned growth" among folks who previously hadn't cared at all about any form of motorsports. It was a cultural fad that lasted about a decade before the hoards moved on to graze in another pasture, as fad fans always do.

Michael Andretti feels his bid to join the F1 circus could be a vehicle for F1 to "earn" staying power from some of the new fad fans...

I've been reflecting in recent months on the surge in F1's popularity in the U.S. There are parallels with that time in the mid-1990's when NASCAR suddenly became a white hot pop cultural phenomenon, with explosive "unearned growth" among folks who previously hadn't cared at all about any form of motorsports. It was a cultural fad that lasted about a decade before the hoards moved on to graze in another pasture, as fad fans always do.

Michael Andretti feels his bid to join the F1 circus could be a vehicle for F1 to "earn" staying power from some of the new fad fans...

I think there’s valid concerns from the teams regarding Andretti’s proposed entry. A lot of it hinges on an American team with an American driver driving interest in America even further, but I think that’s a lot more theory than anything else. It’s also quite possible we have an American who’s going up through the FIA feeder system (think Logan Sargeant) wind up on the grid in a couple of years. The anti-dilution fee will only be a one-time sum of $20M to each of the existing teams, so Andretti will be have to bring a stronger case that they can be value-additive in the long term despite reducing everyone else’s revenue share.

On the NASCAR side, there’s some of the same discussion developing…some big account tweeted they should open up to 38 or even 40 charters since JRM wants to expand into Cup. Hamlin got into a discussion with them about how they should need to get in like everybody else.

Documents suggest Porsche/Red Bull could be announced next week, with Porsche buying in to 50% of both the race team and Red Bull Powertrain Technology. Selling half of the team itself would be an unexpected move from Red Bull.

Rumors noted at the bottom that Audi are still working on securing 75% of Sauber.

I'm happy for him but will sure miss him. Sebastien has certainly been fun to watch.

I hope he doesn't retire completely. Would love to see him do Indianapolis, and some of the big sportscar races.

Not surprised about the announcement and I'm happy for him. Been a big fan for a long time and his interviews are always enjoyable as he has interesting things to say.

Legend of the sport. Shattered records, won two of the most dramatic championships ever, established a new team as a power and went on to win races with his childhood hero’s team. After his reign of terror on track he went on to become one of the most well-liked members of the paddock. I hope he gets some good results the rest of the season and enjoys his retirement back home.

Back
Top Bottom