F1 2022 News/Misc.

Legend of the sport. Shattered records, won two of the most dramatic championships ever, established a new team as a power and went on to win races with his childhood hero’s team. After his reign of terror on track he went on to become one of the most well-liked members of the paddock. I hope he gets some good results the rest of the season and enjoys his retirement back home.
I think it's hard to know just how good Sebastian Vettel actually was. I mean, I always liked the guy, and he certainly won a lot, but that Red Bull was just so much better than any other car during Vettle's dominant era. And Mark Webber was whipping his ass for a while as well. The Ferrari years were less than hoped for, and certainly there were reasons for this beyond the c0ckpit as well.

I guess where I wind up is this... Vettle was very, very good, but "Legend of the sport" is a bit charitable. Just my dos centavos.

I think it's hard to know just how good Sebastian Vettel actually was. I mean, I always liked the guy, and he certainly won a lot, but that Red Bull was just so much better than any other car during Vettle's dominant era. And Mark Webber was whipping his ass for a while as well. The Ferrari years were less than hoped for, and certainly there were reasons for this beyond the c0ckpit as well.

I guess where I wind up is this... Vettle was very, very good, but "Legend of the sport" is a bit charitable. Just my dos centavos.
It was, but that’s often the case in F1. We’re usually fortunate if there are two cars that are on equal footing for a season. Mercedes had the best car by far for the balance of the V6 turbo hybrid era, and Hamilton’s competition was either Rosberg for a few years or pretty much no one - maybe with a year or two of Ferrari in there before falling apart in the second half of each season. Senna had his fair share of McLarens that would dog walk the field, and so on. Abu Dhabi 2010 and Brazil 2012 were two of the best title finale performances ever as well - the latter of which he had a damaged car on a wet track.

I don’t think a guy with his numbers can’t not. E considered a legend, ultimately. He’s in the top three or four for titles, wins, podiums, poles. Some of that is inflated by longer schedules and better driver longevity. But if he isn’t a legend then there might only be two or three out there. His career kinda played out like Jeff Gordon, and I think everyone agrees he’s a legend.

Alonso to Aston confirmed.
I guess Piastri will get the second Alpine seat. There's a pretty big gap between Alpine and Aston right now, will be interesting to see if they can close it.
Glad Piastri gets a good seat without having to sit out more or go to Williams. Big prospect along the lines of Leclerc and Russell from several years back. Alpine probably risked losing him if they signed Alonso to another multi-year deal.

Alonso with Papa Stroll and young Stroll sound like a recipe for a ****show, but if there’s any silver lining they’ve gotten some major financing in the last year and are expanding their base with a new wind tunnel and simulator, among other things. Maybe there’s potential down the road.

This is the craziest silly season I can remember.

I don't think Alpine would be a bad move for Piastri. Sure beats Williams.

But if he says no to Alpine, he must have something better, right? Current speculation is McLaren, but they already have too many drivers.

Now it makes sense. Piastri left Alpine because they wanted to place him at Williams. McLaren would be a much better deal, that is, if there's a car actually available.

Now it makes sense. Piastri left Alpine because they wanted to place him at Williams. McLaren would be a much better deal, that is, if there's a car actually available.
Piastri was only going to be loaned to Williams when they didn’t have a seat for a him at home. Since Alonso left for Aston they have an open seat and are claiming Piastri for it.

However, the rumors are Alpine had to find a seat for him by July 31, and Alonso announced he was leaving and opening a seat on August 1.

Totally unrelated, this is what Alonso posted minutes after Piastri’s tweet…lol.

OK, it looks like the Piastri situation is settles.

Perhaps not.

RACER understands that while McLaren believes Alpine doesn’t have a contract with Piastri, the French constructor intends to submit documentation to the Contract Recognition Board (CRB) that claims otherwise, which could lead to a tribunal to decide which is valid. Despite rumors, there was no July 31 cut-off deadline involved in the dispute, and it revolves around other technicalities.

That's funny, IndyCar drivers are falling over themselves to get a test, and McLaren is going with an F2 driver.

That's funny, IndyCar drivers are falling over themselves to get a test, and McLaren is going with an F2 driver.
Not any F2 driver, a reserve driver who already won F3 and F2 in his first try in succession at age 19 and 20. Very rare that happens, and very much along the lines of how well regarded Leclerc and Russell were coming out of the feeder series. If Alpine have actually fumbled this it’s pretty devastating and a big coup for McLaren.

F1 test is a nice bonus incentive but I question how much of that was presented as an actual opportunity to get into F1 or inserted as a contractual maneuver (Palou?). Andretti and Brown are friends and business partners so the Herta test probably came out of that too, given Michael’s F1 team ambitions. Pato did seem seriously interested in F1 but sounds like he’s cooled off.

Lance Stroll had impressive stats in F3 ...
He remained with Prema Powerteam for a third consecutive year to compete in his second season of the Formula 3 European Championship. He won the first race at Circuit Paul Ricard before taking thirteen more race victories over the season, including five consecutive victories in the final five races. He claimed the title with four races to go and ended the season 187 points clear of nearest competitor Maximilian Günther.

Lance Stroll had impressive stats in F3 ...
He remained with Prema Powerteam for a third consecutive year to compete in his second season of the Formula 3 European Championship. He won the first race at Circuit Paul Ricard before taking thirteen more race victories over the season, including five consecutive victories in the final five races. He claimed the title with four races to go and ended the season 187 points clear of nearest competitor Maximilian Günther.
Stroll won regional FIA European F3 when that was still a thing, and in his second season with the best team in the series. Leclerc actually won GP3 the same year Stroll won Euro F3. And Lance skipped F2/GP2 entirely, where he probably would’ve been exposed more.

Australian outlet reports Ricciardo is initially seeking a $21M buyout from McLaren and holds the only rights to early termination.

Back
Top Bottom