F1: 2024 Australian GP

Something we have not seen with the mile wide curbing on other tracks is drivers damaging their car, but there was a lot of that going on last night. The curb Albon hit was an unacceptable hazard. It was just too harsh, especially as low as they run these ground effect cars.

Sargeant will miss the race as Albon damaged the chassis of his car.

You wreck your own ****, you ride the bench. I hate this. Does Logan suck, and is he a lot less likely to get points than Alex? Yes. But he isn’t the one who tubbed a chassis. Whatever confidence he had left in the team is probably gone now. And it puts that much more pressure on Albon to score points this weekend.

Yeah hazards are supposed to happen when you leave the track. Guys are to used to racing in parking lots
You can't attack these kind of curbs like you can the flatter ones you see in the parking lot tracks. Albon said his car bottomed on the curb, so it was probably a combination of super low running cars and higher curbs.

Soooo Williams can't bring or afford an extra car? The fans are left with one less car in the race. But let's not let the Andretti team in F1.

Soooo Williams can't bring or afford an extra car? The fans are left with one less car in the race. But let's not let the Andretti team in F1.

That can't ever happen. He might want to hire an American driver.

Logan Sargeant exists just to say "See, this is why we should never allow another American driver in ever again!"

Essentially, Williams are stretched very thin resourcefully and developmentally…

"It's unacceptable in modern day Formula 1 not to have a spare chassis, but it is a reflection of how behind we were in the winter period and an illustration of why we need to go through significant change in order to get ourselves in a better position for the future," Vowles added.

Speaking to Motorsport.com before the decision was made, Vowles explained that not taking a third chassis was one of the risks the team had taken to push its development to the limit.

$135 million budgets and they don't carry a spare tub? This looks like shades of Andrea Modena.

Hamilton has hit the performance cliff or what’s going on? He’s looked as bad as I’ve seen him. The car being garbage as it is, it’s not all the car’s fault.

$135 million budgets and they don't carry a spare tub? This looks like shades of Andrea Modena.
Vowles made it sound as though it’s still not guaranteed they’ll even have the chassis rebuilt in time for Suzuka. Shows how far that team is behind really. The logistics of being away in the Pacific early on are rough, but that is baaaad.

Hamilton has hit the performance cliff or what’s going on? He’s looked as bad as I’ve seen him. The car being garbage as it is, it’s not all the car’s fault.
The car isn't complete garbage. At least t's good in FP1. Maybe it likes a green track. It seems to get worse as the weekend goes along.

I've driven a few racecars with snap oversteer and nothing will sap your confidence faster than that. It makes you terrified to lean on the car because you never know what it is going to do. In the worst cases, you can't feel it coming. Everything seems fine and then it tries to bite you in the ass. They have had this problem since the car first rolled out. They had that problem with the 13 and 14 too, so something is fundamentally wrong with how they are designing their GE cars.

Recently I read that Mercedes wind tunnel data doesn't correlate to what they are getting on the track. In the high speed corners they were getting a ton of downforce in the high speed corners when in the tunnel, but that is where in real life they are suffering the most. I don't think they are going to get anywhere until they get their tunnel straightened out.

He was within a tenth of Russell, just very tight at the bottom of the top 10 in Q2. Car looks bad though. Understeer in the quicker stuff and snap oversteer in the slower corners.

Williams can't even put two cars on the grid but Andretti isn't good enough?
They will likely use this as further proof as to why they shouldn’t admit Andretti - the smaller teams like Haas and Williams are already challenged in terms of resources, and increasing the field would further dilute the revenue stream and disproportionately affect them.

They will likely use this as further proof as to why they shouldn’t admit Andretti - the smaller teams like Haas and Williams are already challenged in terms of resources, and increasing the field would further dilute the revenue stream and disproportionately affect them.
"It's a big club and you ain't in it." George Carlin

Mercedes should delete themselves.

The car is flat out dangerous to drive. The minute you push it you’re into the wall.

Hamilton should really think about taking an 8 month vacation. Mercedes is an utter death trap not worth putting a finger on.

Russell gets in over his head too often when chasing. Jeez.

Glad he’s okay.

Turns out there could be more to it.

Alonso might be in deep **** if it turned out he braked Checked him.

Summoned to the stewards.

F1 needed this one badly.
Unfortunately he didn't get beat straight on speed but Carlos still dod a fantastic job coming back from surgery. Guy is on fire. The only driver to beat Ferrari in the last two years.
He'll be able to choose which team he drives for next year.
George's wreck looked worse than it was. He does seem a little mistake-prone though.

Alonso has been given a 20-second penalty even though the stewards did not blame him for Russell's crash. This is laughable. No one has received a penalty of more than 10 seconds in like 5 years.

They absolutely did blame him for it. Read the document. Very detailed.

"Telemetry shows that Alonso lifted slightly more than 100m earlier than he ever had going into that corner during the race. He also braked very slightly at a point that he did not usually brake (although the amount of brake was so slight that it was not the main reason for his car slowing) and he downshifted at a point he never usually downshifted. He then upshifted again and accelerated to the corner before lifting again to make the corner.

Blamed squarely on him on multiple points.

Alonso doing Alonso things. Shocker

Oh and btw, his stuck throttle excuse went out the window entirely. He literally made up a car issue that wasn’t present.

I wanted to see Verstappen get beaten straight up, so the DNF was not very satisfying. Still, Carlos is my boy, so at least the result made me happy. I guess we can be happy we aren't going to get a Red Bull whitewash this year.

Sadly I closed my eyes on the first commercial and passed out, so I won't have much to say until I get a look at the race with my eyes open.

Oh and btw, his stuck throttle excuse went out the window entirely. He literally made up a car issue that wasn’t present.
"Potentially dangerous driving" isn't the same as causing a collision.
I don't think there's anything wrong about lifting early to carry more momentum through the corner.
He definitely didn't do it with the intention of taking George out. If he did the risk of both getting wrecked would be way too high.

For about two laps there was a real hope Carlos could actually beat the Red Bulls in a straight fight, but that disappeared in a cloud of smoke. I'm past wanting to see Red Bulls blow up. I wanted to see them get beat straight up, so while Carlos is my guy, that part was disappointing. At least this puts Carlos in a better bargaining position. He showed Lauda-like toughness all weekend, and really, through this whole appendix thing.

I also think Verstappen's retirement is not a cause for them to be concerned. It was an isolated failure of a normally reliable part, so I don't think a pattern will emerge from this. It was a freak retirement. That's what it's going to take this year to beat Max it seems.

Checo has to be disappointed. While he did score points, the #2s job is to win when the #1 can't, and that didn't happen. While it's only one race, Checo did fall apart when they needed him most, and that won't help his contract negotiations. There's plenty of time to recover, but you know Marko will point to this when he calls for Lawson or Albon to get that seat.

The whole Alonso thing doesn't make sense. He slowed so much the only possible advantage would have been to get in the way, which he did. The fact it was bad air that crashed Russel shows they need to close the loopholes that allowed the teams to get all that downforce and outwash back. The cars were racy as hell at the beginning of 2022 but drivers are saying the turbulence is now as bad as it's ever been, and they need to fix this for 25 or we're going to have more poor racing.

Right now, the top four can take the championship lead at the next race. None of us expects this to hold up, but at least it's going to take a few more races for Max to clinch.

The onboard is pretty damning. Though I think it’s phony that they said they didn’t take into account the severity of the crash into the penalty. If George had simply lost the nose and lost some ground I doubt it would’ve been called the same as it did with him landing on his lid.

Also vaults Yuki into P7, pretty important for the bottom half of the WCC.

Going experimental, like early 2022.

Sorry, but this whole "Defensive driving is never OK" stuff is antithetical to racing. Just demand that a slower car move over to faster cars for position. There: "Safe" and in line with what F1 probably wants to claim to be, which is less a motor race and test of driver skill and purely a branding exercise as to who's car is best with the driver being largely incidental. I'm not watching anymore anyhow, so I guess I wouldn't miss out on people getting their wet dream of piles of uncontested passing.

Sorry, but this whole "Defensive driving is never OK" stuff is antithetical to racing. Just demand that a slower car move over to faster cars for position. There: "Safe" and in line with what F1 probably wants to claim to be, which is less a motor race and test of driver skill and purely a branding exercise as to who's car is best with the driver being largely incidental. I'm not watching anymore anyhow, so I guess I wouldn't miss out on people getting their wet dream of piles of uncontested passing.
Point to pass on the straightway like a historic racing event...

Alonso is usually a great defender anyways, but for whatever reason in this instance he felt the need to hem and haw on the pedals and was almost 50 kmh slower at the same point on the track as the lap before. That’s above and beyond normal defense.

He has always been a politician and a bit dirty, this is the same guy who once brake tested a guy in FP1 after passing him on the front straight.

Back
Top Bottom