F1: 70th Anniversary Grand Prix

This driver of the day thing cracks me up.

This gives me some hope for the rest of the season. I was afraid Mercedes would win all the races.
Perfect job by Max and RedBull.

If every tracks temps are heated to 130 degrees maybe. A lot went into this win by Red Bull.

They were not the quickest car but played a beautiful hand and got the win.

Mercedes got their asses handed to them today. Couldn’t work these tires at all. Thank you, Pirelli.

More like Bottas got smoked.

Guy pitted with Verstappen and he still let him get away.

Mercedes got smoked meaning both drivers.

They needed this.

Define it.

Not on raw speed. They had track temps and tire issues to deal with.

One-offs don’t count in my book.

Any time you make racing fake you screw it up. Requiring teams to use two different compounds is fake. Requiring them to use tires that are designed to have a performance drop off is fake.

People seem happy that Mercedes got beat, but it's fake. It's all down to tires and their manufactured degradation. In an open (not fake) competition no tire company would deliberately make tires engineered to crap out like this. No team would deliberately choose a compound that would perform as poorly as the softs did today.

It's the fake rules that cause all of this.

All this tire drama is getting to be incredibly boring. It's all tires all the time and no racing ever. It would be much better if you gave them a decent tire and just let them race for it. Trying to inject fake excitement with fake tires and fake overtakes with fake DRS is just...... fake. Formula One is Fake One.

Any time you make racing fake you screw it up. Requiring teams to use two different compounds is fake. Requiring them to use tires that are designed to have a performance drop off is fake.

People seem happy that Mercedes got beat, but it's fake. It's all down to tires and their manufactured degradation. In an open (not fake) competition no tire company would deliberately make tires engineered to crap out like this. No team would deliberately choose a compound that would perform as poorly as the softs did today.

All this tire drama is getting to be incredibly boring. It's all tires all the time and no racing ever. It would be much better if you gave them a decent tire and just let them race for it. Trying to inject fake excitement with fake tires and fake overtakes with fake DRS is just...... fake. Formula One is Fake One.

Throw in some fake stages and various other bells and whistles to make the mess unwatchable ........... Thank goodness for Moto-Gp

I disagree. Racers should be able to drive fast while managing tire wear.

I wouldn’t go as far as doc saying all is fake but you can’t manage tires that die in 5 laps which was happening to others, mainly Mercedes.

Im fine with the strategies. It saved this race.

Except the tire wear is not real. It's engineered into the tire to "spice up the show." If Pirelli wanted to they could make a fast tire that lasted half the race or even all of the race, and probably be just as fast.

The FIA specifically demanded that Pirelli made different compounds that wear at different rates and lose performance at different rates. Then they require the teams to run two compounds, even if they were better off using just one.

It's just fake. That's all.

I wouldn’t go as far as doc saying all is fake but you can’t manage tires that die in 5 laps which was happening to others, mainly Mercedes.

I just don't like the tire game because that's the story every week when the story really should be the racing.

Why would you engineer a tire to crap out in five laps? Or even 10, or 20? If you were racing against another tire company, you would engineer out every single weakness you could, not try to find more. From that standpoint, what we have now is not very honest.

Im fine with the strategies.

I'de rather see them race and work it out on the track. Strategy and pit stops just break up the wheel to wheel racing. Formula One used to not have pit stops and the actual wheel to wheel was much better. Now if you can't pass someone you just give up and go for the undercut. That just kills the racing.

Like I say, the farther away you get from straight up racing, the less straight up the racing becomes.

It’s embarrassing to be a Ferrari fan and especially embarrassed at how they are treating Vettel. I still can’t believe it didn’t work out, I thought when Vettel signed he was going to be the one to break Schumacher’s records not Hamilton at Mercedes. Boy was I dead wrong. Can’t wait for Vettel to get up and outta Ferrari. Then we’ll see how good the golden boy Leclerc really is when things start going wrong for them.
https://www.planetf1.com/news/sebastian-vettel-early-ferrari-exit/

Except the tire wear is not real. It's engineered into the tire to "spice up the show." If Pirelli wanted to they could make a fast tire that lasted half the race or even all of the race, and probably be just as fast.

The FIA specifically demanded that Pirelli made different compounds that wear at different rates and lose performance at different rates. Then they require the teams to run two compounds, even if they were better off using just one.

It's just fake. That's all.
Tire manufacturers make whatever they’re told as long as it’s within reason and safe. They could make rocks if they were told to but then we’d get something similar to NASCAR intermediate tracks where you can safely and easily run over a full fuel stint with one set of tires. If you could run flat without stopping where does the passing come in? Tire management is a key component of driver skill and car setup plays into it as well. If you can’t adapt the car for certain compounds or track conditions that’s on the team.

Define it.

Not on raw speed. They had track temps and tire issues to deal with.

One-offs don’t count in my book.
Doesn't matter, its not the first time Mercedes has had issues with a car eating up tires. A win is a win and it's a weakness of the car, with increased tire pressures and the how hot it was this weekend just completely ate up the tires.

It happens, but we will see if it was a one off or a possible trend in the future. No one knows, but Catalunya is another high wear circuit and temps are going to be high there. Let's see what happens because I'm genuinely curious about it.

It’s embarrassing to be a Ferrari fan and especially embarrassed at how they are treating Vettel. I still can’t believe it didn’t work out, I thought when Vettel signed he was going to be the one to break Schumacher’s records not Hamilton at Mercedes. Boy was I dead wrong. Can’t wait for Vettel to get up and outta Ferrari. Then we’ll see how good the golden boy Leclerc really is when things start going wrong for them.
https://www.planetf1.com/news/sebastian-vettel-early-ferrari-exit/
Pascal Wehrlein is free now.

Yea I don’t think he makes the season before they split. It seems...really contentious there. It doesn’t matter who LeClerc’s teammate will be anyways this year, they won’t beat Mercedes and Red Bull. Even even McLaren has passed them in speed.

The more I think about this young man... He really got hosed over by Mercedes.

Vettel is going to finish the season, but as Vettel has to show some improvement himself. That spin was all his fault, but the idiotic strategy Ferrari had in place to do a 10 lap stint on hard tires and then a 16 lap stint on mediums was extremely bizarre to say the least.

Neither the driver or strategist helped themselves.

The more I think about this young man... He really got hosed over by Mercedes.

Vettel is going to finish the season, but as Vettel has to show some improvement himself. That spin was all his fault, but the idiotic strategy Ferrari had in place to do a 10 lap stint on hard tires and then a 16 lap stint on mediums was extremely bizarre to say the least.

Neither the driver or strategist helped themselves.
Vettel has to be in his own head by this point, and maybe suffering from a slight lack of confidence

Vettel has to be in his own head by this point, and maybe suffering from a slight lack of confidence
The post race interview was Vettel throwing up his hands. He doesn't even know what is wrong or how to improve his car. Then Binotto's statement post race was no better, he has been a horrible TP this year with absolutely no sembelance of leadership. Instill some confidence in your driver, don't continue to burry the man.

Vettel needs to string together some good performances to get his head above water. As of right now though, he's pretty much checked out.

Yea I don’t think he makes the season before they split. It seems...really contentious there. It doesn’t matter who LeClerc’s teammate will be anyways this year, they won’t beat Mercedes and Red Bull. Even even McLaren has passed them in speed.
He screwed himself on the start but they still screwed up his strategy and he obviously was pissed about it. They pitted him for hards which he ran for 11 laps and then pit him on mediums for 20 laps to the finish. Wtf? All that was after he said he could’ve gone longer on the first stint too.

The post race interview was Vettel throwing up his hands. He doesn't even know what is wrong or how to improve his car. Then Binotto's statement post race was no better, he has been a horrible TP this year with absolutely no sembelance of leadership. Instill some confidence in your driver, don't continue to burry the man.

Vettel needs to string together some good performances to get his head above water. As of right now though, he's pretty much checked out.
You’re exactly right, seems he has checked out while they’ve given up on him. It’s crazy from both parties to see this happen to a 4 time World Champion

He screwed himself on the start but they still screwed up his strategy and he obviously was pissed about it. They pitted him for hards which he ran for 11 laps and then pit him on mediums for 20 laps to the finish. Wtf? All that was after he said he could’ve gone longer on the first stint too.
Yea their strategy was just bad yesterday, almost negligent when it comes to Vettel. I’m sad this is happening to him, he’s been my favorite since he was at Toro Rosso and after Schumacher retired the first time. I just don’t know where he goes from here.

Back
Top Bottom