F1 Malaysian Grand Prix Prerace Thread

S

SuperTex14

F1 feels the heat for the first time in the Malaysian Grand Prix at Sepang International Circuit in Kuala Lumpur.

Practice from Malaysia is on NBCSN tonight at 2:00am EDT, the scheduled time for Free Practice 2, so one would suppose they're going to recap FP1.

Interestingly, current NASCAR driver Juan Pablo Montoya holds the lap record at Sepang.

Raikkonen and Lotus used a bit of 'stategery' last week to pull off a dominating win, setting up their car to be easy on tires and staying out while the other teams pitted. Look for a different winner this week as the teams come to grips with their new setups. Hambone looked pretty good at Albert Park in his first race driving the works Mercedes, and with rain in the forecast this weekend, is my pick to stand on top of the podium.

It looks like coordinating this race with Indycars on Sunday will be a challenge. Setting up my DVR, I noticed that NBCSN will be showing a replay of the F1 race after the live Indycars broadcast. I don't trust the guys in St. Pete to keep the results a secret, especially if something big happens in Malaysia. Also, DW will be shouting boog... you-know-what in Fontana about then, so preplanning and preparation will be key.

Track stats and pretty pictures can be found at the links provided.http://motorsportstalk.nbcsports.com/2013/03/21/2013-malaysian-grand-prix-preview/

Loving the second race being the next week. Would love to see Mercedes/Hamilton perform miracles, but I believe I could settle for Kimi taking another one. Anyone but Red bull.

GP of Malaysia Qualifying - SPOILER ALERT!
(scroll down...)

Vettel takes his 37th pole (1 out of every 3 races he's competed in at this level), as the top teams play 'last man standing' on a drying track at Sepang. Ham was actually the last to complete a lap after the checkers came out, but will line up 4th after deciding not to pit and put on fresh intermediate rain tires.
http://motorsportstalk.nbcsports.co...-pole-in-wet-dry-qualifying-for-malaysian-gp/
http://www.formula1.com/news/

UPDATE: Raikkonen has been penalized 3 grid spots for blocking, and will be moved back from 7th to 10th.
http://motorsportstalk.nbcsports.com/2013/03/23/raikkonen-receives-grid-penalty-for-blocking/

Hey look, it's Bob Varsha!

Yeah. David Hobbs told the Milwaukee newspaper (he lives here in Milwaukee) that Varsha couldn't go with them to NBC because he was under contract with Fox/Speed, but he can fill in for Diffey? Kinda weird. Do't know if we're getting the whole story.

Anyway, looks like we'll be racing in the rain today!

Yeah. David Hobbs told the Milwaukee newspaper (he lives here in Milwaukee) that Varsha couldn't go with them to NBC because he was under contract with Fox/Speed, but he can fill in for Diffey? Kinda weird. Do't know if we're getting the whole story.

Anyway, looks like we'll be racing in the rain today!

What the hell is he going to do at FOX Sports 1? Sports car coverage? Maybe Varsha's on his way to NBCSN.

Wow. That scared me! I was kind of chilling in my chair and then that front wing exploded and I was like WOW HOLY *expletive*.

I'm not as negative on Ferrari as everybody else. I would have tried to wait until they need to pit for dry tires, too. In hindsight, it would have been the wrong decision, but honestly, I would have done the same thing too.

Oh boy. This is going to be close.

If this was a NASCAR race, Vettel and Webber would shove each other around in the paddock after the race.

What are the odds Maldonado has a ride next year at this rate? Two disappointing DNFs after two races.

Webber : "Team told me race was over & we turned engines down & go to end. Seb made his own decision and he will have protection as usual"

That's dirty pool by Vettel so Webber should know better next time.

Good for Vettel IMO. I hate team orders.

I don't know. I think Webber got screwed there. Like winner said, above, he'll know better next time. Though, I'm sure in Vettel's mind, he got screwed when Webber cut him off coming out of pit lane.

I'm a Hamilton fan but that was bunk. I don't care for team orders.

Webber : "Team told me race was over & we turned engines down & go to end. Seb made his own decision and he will have protection as usual"

And that's why Seb has all the hardware, cause he doesn't back down, don't blame him a bit. The race isn't over till the checkers fall, and Webber should at least know that by now.....mm. And what the hell was Ferrari and Alonso thinking???:confused:

541088_10200815095961705_972682211_n.jpg

Hamilton has a blonde moment. Damn near sprayed my coffee everywhere watching that pit crew frantically gesture to him that this wasn't his stop.

Back
Top Bottom