F1 Silly Season news, rumors, and other clag

S

SuperTex14

I wasn't aware that Alonso was in play for Webber's seat; I can see Fred and Vettel having issues getting along.

Watching "Senna" (again), and the fight for the championship between teammates Ayrton and Prost was compelling. Actually watching it this time, Senna comes off as a spoiled prick, and I don't really think any current drivers are like that. Although Seb comes close at times! The drama would be entertaining, and maybe a driver from a different team altogether could swoop in and steal the championship.

From Sky Sports interview with Christian Horner following last weekend's Grand Prix of Hungary:

Could a driver like Kimi Raikkonen work alongside Sebastian Vettel?
CH: "I think the situation that we are in is that we want the strongest team - we have won the World Championship for the last three years and we need to ensure we are in a position to fight for the World Championship in the future.
"There has not been any pressure that we must take a junior driver, it is a matter of fielding the best team. Of course, the junior drivers are under consideration but there is no pre-requisite it has to be a junior driver for next season. We want to put the strongest drivers in the car that we can."
How do you feel the dynamic of Vettel and Alonso would work together?
CH: "It would be interesting. At the end of the day we have to do what is right for the team and the pairing that we want to put together next year has to be right for the team.
"Last week there was speculation about Kimi and this week there is speculation about Fernando, but we have to make sure nothing wavers in our minds about putting together the right team package together for next year with the fastest drivers we can find who will work collectively well together and achieve the best results for the team."

http://www1.skysports.com/formula-1...n-gp-and-a-potential-move-for-fernando-alonso

Everything I read or heard recently was that it was between Kimi and Ricciardo, I guess that was premature. It's tough to see Kimi going there with all of the media responsibilities that comes with racing for RB.

Yeah, I thought it was between Kimi and Ricciardo too. I like Kimi, but if he's treated at Red Bull like Webber is, he's going to go nuts. They're a championship-caliber team and I'm sure they're offering dumptrucks of money but Kimi should stay away from them, in my humble opinion.

Kimi and Wunder Bub would be interesting to see paired together because it would intentionally be two teammates who are both the top rivals for the championship, like Senna and Prost in the oldern days.

I don't understand how the F1 team dynamics work with a primary driver and a secondary driver, especially when drivers change teams. It seems unnatural for a driver accept a secondary roll. I'm always offended when I see a driver clearly give up a position to a teammate. I don't think Red Bull designates a primary driver, they are probably the exception.

I don't understand how the F1 team dynamics work with a primary driver and a secondary driver, especially when drivers change teams. It seems unnatural for a driver accept a secondary roll. I'm always offended when I see a driver clearly give up a position to a teammate. I don't think Red Bull designates a primary driver, they are probably the exception.

A lot of drivers wouldn't do that. I remember reading somewhere that back in the day, Ferrari tried to hire AJ Foyt to be the secondary driver to Richie Ginther and he refused.

Vettel definitely is the primary driver at Red Bull. Not only is he the guy with the three championships, but he's the darling of Dietrich and Christian Horner. As much as I hate to admit it as a Webber fan, he is the better driver, too.

Hmmm, I thought it was Alonso in the running?
Kimi or him but would either of them be willing to play second fiddle......Alonso won't so maybe Kimi

Hmmm, I thought it was Alonso in the running?
Kimi or him but would either of them be willing to play second fiddle......Alonso won't so maybe Kimi
I don't think Kimi would either.

If Kimi goes to RBR, there will be no #2 driver until it plays out that way - in which case it could be Vettel. There is only a #2 now because Vettel has performed better than Webber. Unless you believe the conspiracy theories in which Webber is being sabotaged - even at the risk of hitting camera men with tyres. :owquitit:

I am thinking McLaren has no number one driver at least that was the case when Hamilton and Alonso had their epic power struggle when both were at McLaren.

Playing second fiddle will go against a driver's natural ego, but the guys are getting paid gozillions and they have the incentive to follow orders.
You just have to be better on the stopwatch during the race, or during qualifying. Speed is no respector of persons, if you are faster their going to tell your slower teammate to get out of the way when you catch up to him. They cant have their fastest piece being slowed down, by one of their own cars.

Being held accountable or controlled is just a curse of big money.

I think if teammate is much faster, as much as i dont like it, the slower teammate should make it fairly easy to pass.. but that is regardkless of who the number 1 is. Also when in the race it would happen. In Nascar, it doesnt reall work since the pasing isnt a diffcult and teammates are not usually a second faster.

Makes me happy as a Kimi fan.

Dietrich also sticks to his plan of using Toro Rosso as a talent breeding ground for the Red Bull first stringers team.

Hey guys I asked to have this thread renamed so we could keep all of our F1 driver/team musings together in one place, and the original title made it look like it was just Red Bull news. I started the original, and didn't see a need to have more with the same info, and hope you agree.

That said, how wild will it be to have Fred and Kimi 2.0 on the same team? Team orders, my ass!

Red Bull or McLaren probably are the closest but I'd bet a wooden nickle that Ferrari still has the largest organization.

It's official, Raikkonen is going back to Ferrari. Here's one of the articles with links to lots more news.
Interesting that there are several articles about how 'very happy' Kimi is about the whole thing.

Has anybody ever gone back to Ferrari for a second stint?

Wonder if Lotus is interested in Massa? He has a lot of experience, could be a good teammate for Grosjean.

I am skeptical as hell about Kimi going to Ferrari. I guess Ferrari doesn't care about a driver winning the championship as long as they win the constructors. Hopefully it doesn't bite them.

Did anyone else catch the rumors about Alonso and Lotus, after he dissed Ferrari by saying they've been "8 tenths" behind the last four years? Could've been Will, Lee, Steve and Hobbs stirring the pot, but they seem to have solid contacts in Europe. And perhaps Fernando sees the writing on the wall, having another world champ as a teammate?

Looks like no Kimi for the the rest of the season. Too bad, I heard lived up to his reputation around Austin last year.
ctu3YnL.jpg

It's an old injury that's bothered him for years. I suspect he's having surgery now rather than after the season due to the money situation and conflict of interest with Lotus.
and due to the fact that he can't drive lately?

Did anyone else catch the rumors about Alonso and Lotus, after he dissed Ferrari by saying they've been "8 tenths" behind the last four years? Could've been Will, Lee, Steve and Hobbs stirring the pot, but they seem to have solid contacts in Europe. And perhaps Fernando sees the writing on the wall, having another world champ as a teammate?
Funny. Prost blamed the car and Ferrari sacked his ass.

Formula Renault 3.5 champ Kevin Magnussen to replace Sergio Perez at McLaren next year.

Formula Renault 3.5 champ Kevin Magnussen to replace Sergio Perez at McLaren next year.
Sort of sorry to see this, but it isn't a huge surprise. We became fans when 'Checo' was driving for Sauber; he had an aggressive style, but drove smartly and had some good finishes. This year, he did okay in what would've been Hamilton's ride, which McLaren would probably admit hasn't been up to their expectations, finishing ahead of his world champ teammate a time or two. But he was too aggressive at the wrong times, dueling with Button in a couple of races, and taking Kimi out at Monaco didn't help.

As for Raikkonen, he's probably taking advantage of the situation a little bit and getting his medical stuff out of the way early so he can be ready for next season asap, same as Tony's doing with his leg. I think F1 starts in March, and he probably wants to get as much actual track time in the new car (as opposed to the simulator) as possible before taking on Red Bull.

Felipe Massa and Valtteri Bottas are confirmed for Williams, so that means Pastor Maldonado is out (and hopefully not to Lotus).

Force India might be Checo's best hope at this point.

I wonder if the Venezuelan scandal had any effect on Pastor Maldonado's future with Williams. What I read from CNN, Maldonado was the one athlete that the new regime in Venezuela wanted to keep funding their international career, but maybe not.

Back
Top Bottom