Fanatics Tent

This just isn't accurate. When Motorsports Authentics did the haulers, they produced something like 70-80 percent of all the merchandise. It was all the same designs, all the same selection, all the same quality. I've actually been to their offices and seen their operation. They had a couple graphic designers on staff, and all the designs were the same...different cars, different numbers, different sponsors, but same designs. You probably didn't know that because you only shopped at your favorite team/driver store. But it was all the same. (Also, they didn't make any money, and were going out of business, hence a huge reason for change...but that's just a minor issue I guess). The tracks (ISC & SMI) actually owned Motorsports Authentics. In terms of "Brian tapping into the souvenir dollars" he received a bigger % from Motorsports Authentics than he does with Fanatics, since there was a double dipping of both ownership & paying rent to tracks (not to mention NASCAR licensing, making it a triple dip).

Also, Fanatics allows teams and manufacturers to bring in their own vendors and create their own merch. THEY (Fanatics) only produce a portion of the merch for sale - drastically less than Motorsports Authentics. So, technically, under Fanatic's watch, teams/drivers/tracks can have a much wider array of merch than in the previous hauler years. Believe it or not, but there is much more variety now than with the Haulers. Items, designs, fabrics etc.
Allen I often read and value your opinions and insight.
As to the monetary figures.....if my opinion is incorrect, then I thank you for your information.
As to the rest..... I respectfully disagree. The last shirt I bought was the Wrangler tribute car at the Winston. It didn't seem to look like anything that anybody else was wearing. I still have a tote full of that stuff somewhere and they all seemed original at the time. Soooo many years ago. (sigh)
I still like the trailers better. JMO

Allen I often read and value your opinions and insight.
As to the monetary figures.....if my opinion is incorrect, then I thank you for your information.
As to the rest..... I respectfully disagree. The last shirt I bought was the Wrangler tribute car at the Winston. It didn't seem to look like anything that anybody else was wearing. I still have a tote full of that stuff somewhere and they all seemed original at the time. Soooo many years ago. (sigh)
I still like the trailers better. JMO
I don't know much about the haulers back in the day that you might be referring to...I can only speak about what they were up to the last 5 years or so that they were around. Perhaps they had a different arrangement back then. Because like I said, the last several years were all cookie cutter stuff. What you're describing reminds me of all the gypsy setups right outside the tracks. Maybe hauler sales were so bad the last few years because they started producing everything themselves, and in the process lost that lovin' feeling. I dunno...

I don't doubt one scintilla of what you said but it is all perception and if people's perception is that the haulers were better then they were.
I mean, yeah, I agree. But I can tell you this, they certainly weren't voting for haulers with their wallets!

I don't know much about the haulers back in the day that you might be referring to...I can only speak about what they were up to the last 5 years or so that they were around. Perhaps they had a different arrangement back then. Because like I said, the last several years were all cookie cutter stuff. What you're describing reminds me of all the gypsy setups right outside the tracks. Maybe hauler sales were so bad the last few years because they started producing everything themselves, and in the process lost that lovin' feeling. I dunno...
I guess I missed that era.
The haulers that I'm referring to were the real deal. Harry Gant signing autographs in the Skoal trailer. The Hooter's girls selling the AK merchandise.
If the quailty and selection are much better now, then the previous setup must have been horrible. I wouldn't want them to revert to a lesser system just for the sake of "trailers".

Last edited:
I like how junior takes up the same amount of space as the entire joe Gibbs race team takes up. Personally, as a junior fan, I like the tents, but I can see where other teams might be grumbling about having a smaller foot print, and fewer sales. After this year, fanatics is likely to see a 25% or more decrease in sales, and doesn't want to sit on millions of dollars worth of cheap plastic and sweat shop clothing.

Just another half thought out Brian scheme that never worked out.

I like how junior takes up the same amount of space as the entire joe Gibbs race team takes up. Personally, as a junior fan, I like the tents, but I can see where other teams might be grumbling about having a smaller foot print, and fewer sales. After this year, fanatics is likely to see a 25% or more decrease in sales, and doesn't want to sit on millions of dollars worth of cheap plastic and sweat shop clothing.

Just another half thought out Brian scheme that never worked out.

I'm guessing Nascar merch drops more like 40-50% without Junior. He's by far the biggest seller.

I wouldn't want them to revert to a lesser system just for the sake of "trailers".
I feel like this would be the case, unless they drastically changed the arrangement. I think it would be awesome if every team basically brought their own hauler, made and sold their own stuff, dictated their own terms of merchandising etc (is this the way it used to be??). There would be such great variety and unique team vibes/branding/buzz etc (though you might lose the Furniture Rows of the world who aren't interested in merchandising one bit. Smaller budget teams as well). But at least under that model, there would be lots of competing businesses (in a way, it's what the three manufacturers do today. They all sell their own stuff from their own haulers, or at Pit Pass in the case of Toyota). I'm all for that kind of free enterprise. But the last several years of the haulers were basically a Motorsports Authentic super store laid out as an incredibly inconvenient shopping experience. The gypsies outside the property offered a way cooler variety of stuff. It feels like the old school racing vibe that you've been describing.

As for the Jr experience...he still took up the same amount of space during the hauler years. That guy had merch for sale outside every turn, as well as inside the track concessions. I don't feel like he's got more space since they went to a tent...I just think it's so much more obvious now.

I think it would be awesome if every team basically brought their own hauler, made and sold their own stuff, dictated their own terms of merchandising etc (is this the way it used to be??). There would be such great variety and unique team vibes/branding/buzz etc (though you might lose the Furniture Rows of the world who aren't interested in merchandising one bit. Smaller budget teams as well).

I don't know about other drivers, but as a Spencer fan his operation was something like that after the Camel/Winston years. There was still stuff made by the big companies at the time (Action, Racing Champions, Team Caliber, etc) that was in stores, but he also had his own brand of clothing and accesories that you could get through his site, shop, and fan club.

I don't know about other drivers, but as a Spencer fan his operation was something like that after the Camel/Winston years. There was still stuff made by the big companies at the time (Action, Racing Champions, Team Caliber, etc) that was in stores, but he also had his own brand of clothing and accesories that you could get through his site, shop, and fan club.
That sounds awesome. Like I said, if all the teams and drivers did all their own stuff, and brought all their own haulers, count me in. That sounds like a cool experience.

I feel like this would be the case, unless they drastically changed the arrangement. I think it would be awesome if every team basically brought their own hauler, made and sold their own stuff, dictated their own terms of merchandising etc (is this the way it used to be??). There would be such great variety and unique team vibes/branding/buzz etc (though you might lose the Furniture Rows of the world who aren't interested in merchandising one bit. Smaller budget teams as well). But at least under that model, there would be lots of competing businesses (in a way, it's what the three manufacturers do today. They all sell their own stuff from their own haulers, or at Pit Pass in the case of Toyota). I'm all for that kind of free enterprise. But the last several years of the haulers were basically a Motorsports Authentic super store laid out as an incredibly inconvenient shopping experience. The gypsies outside the property offered a way cooler variety of stuff. It feels like the old school racing vibe that you've been describing.

As for the Jr experience...he still took up the same amount of space during the hauler years. That guy had merch for sale outside every turn, as well as inside the track concessions. I don't feel like he's got more space since they went to a tent...I just think it's so much more obvious now.

I am not privy to the exact details of the sales then, but it was definately percieved that each team/driver was in charge of their own deal. I believe Sr., along with his friend and business parter(his name escapes me) from Sports Image, was one of the first to corner the souvenir/apparel market. If I'm not mistaken Dale gave credit to Teresa for the foresite of this arrangement.
Actually the smaller teams were well represented at the time. AK would be a good example. I think under the old model, the Truex and Bass Pro shops trailer would be a sure bet for success.
So I stand by my opinion about the NASCAR money grab. I just missed the decade in which it happened! LOL

I had the same issue here in Phoenix last year. I was looking for Chip Ganassi gear and everything was completely picked over and disorganized. Its tough to even find gear online for NASCAR unless you are a Jr fan.
Chip Ganassi gear is so hard to find, I used to be able to buy some cool hats when you could shop on the CGR website. It's a shame there isnt more Larson stuff, I had to buy his team's Coca Cola hat off Ebay.

This just isn't accurate. When Motorsports Authentics did the haulers, they produced something like 70-80 percent of all the merchandise. It was all the same designs, all the same selection, all the same quality. I've actually been to their offices and seen their operation. They had a couple graphic designers on staff, and all the designs were the same...different cars, different numbers, different sponsors, but same designs. You probably didn't know that because you only shopped at your favorite team/driver store. But it was all the same. (Also, they didn't make any money, and were going out of business, hence a huge reason for change...but that's just a minor issue I guess). The tracks (ISC & SMI) actually owned Motorsports Authentics. In terms of "Brian tapping into the souvenir dollars" he received a bigger % from Motorsports Authentics than he does with Fanatics, since there was a double dipping of both ownership & paying rent to tracks (not to mention NASCAR licensing, making it a triple dip).

Also, Fanatics allows teams and manufacturers to bring in their own vendors and create their own merch. THEY (Fanatics) only produce a portion of the merch for sale - drastically less than Motorsports Authentics. So, technically, under Fanatic's watch, teams/drivers/tracks can have a much wider array of merch than in the previous hauler years. Believe it or not, but there is much more variety now than with the Haulers. Items, designs, fabrics etc.
I feel like all the New Era hats are the same. When Chase Authentics had pit hats some of those designs were different by teams. Towards the end yes they were streamlined and seemed like the same but a Jr 8 DEI Pit hat was way different from a 24 Dupont Pit Hat. I feel like Fanatics/New Era have all the same hats, which is fine. I bought the Under Armour Hendrick Motorsports team hats.

Reactions: Pat
Why I think haulers are better than a tent.

1) The haulers were always cool to see, even when rolling down the highway. Tents, not so much.
2) Drivers often appeared at their hauler and many times it was more of an informal opportunity to talk to them. Don't see that at the tents.
3) The people that worked the haulers were the same at every race and often from year to year. Some I got to know and even one I still consider a friend.
4) Often you could find some "extra" race tickets at the haulers. Haven't found any at the tent yet.
5) They had TVs showing the weather, qualifying and practice. Spent some rainy times standing under their awning watching those TVs. Tents, no TVs
6) They didn't go through all your gear when you walked away. Those tent security folks pat you down like the TSA.

Once again its about the people and feeling connected. When I stop at the corner meat market for a cut of beef I am connected to the butcher behind the counter. When I stop at Walmart, I can't ever find the butcher to get my favorite cut trimmed. Trailers VS Tents...

You won't see that many p
Struggling to see how this is any different/better:

BrYoAUVCEAAzhXs.jpg:large

635609208201544018-XXX-BRICKRACE-94.JPG
These days..You won't see that many people at the racetrack, let alone buying merchandise

I am really surprised to hear about the lack of product availability for certain Nascar teams. I incorrectly assumed you could find Chris Buescher hats, shirts and die-cast cars on line with the understanding that he would not have as much merchandise for sale as Dale Jr. I guess it all comes down to supply and demand and if there is low demand for teams like Ganassi or Roush there will be limited product.

IDK if this has anything to do with it but with cars having so many different sponsors how do you know what to buy? It wouldn't be so hard for Jimmie Johnson, Denny Hamlin or Kyle Busch and in reality Kurt Busch or Clint Bowyer either as they are pretty well Hass Automation machines but I couldn't list the majority of the sponsors on the cars anymore. I saw a hideous looking green car with the #2 on it yesterday and can't remember who sponsored Stenhouse or any of the top 5.

Ain’t thinkin’ the sponsors are all that important to the faithful.

These generic “my driver” hats are being hawked on the SHR site. They’ve got tee shirts ‘n other stuff used to proclaim one’s allegiance to their idols-on-the-asphalt. JGR has stuff just like it.

Am kinda curious why CGR, with Whatizname, ain’t offering any Larson stuff now that he’s won a couple ‘n the bandwagoners are jumpin’ on.

hatsshr.jpg

Why I think haulers are better than a tent.

1) The haulers were always cool to see, even when rolling down the highway. Tents, not so much.
2) Drivers often appeared at their hauler and many times it was more of an informal opportunity to talk to them. Don't see that at the tents.
3) The people that worked the haulers were the same at every race and often from year to year. Some I got to know and even one I still consider a friend.
4) Often you could find some "extra" race tickets at the haulers. Haven't found any at the tent yet.
5) They had TVs showing the weather, qualifying and practice. Spent some rainy times standing under their awning watching those TVs. Tents, no TVs
6) They didn't go through all your gear when you walked away. Those tent security folks pat you down like the TSA.

Once again its about the people and feeling connected. When I stop at the corner meat market for a cut of beef I am connected to the butcher behind the counter. When I stop at Walmart, I can't ever find the butcher to get my favorite cut trimmed. Trailers VS Tents...
You and I are looking for different things from the experience. I just want to get my stuff as quickly and conveniently as possible.

I recall seeing driver appearance notices at the tent at Darlington and Charlotte last year. Maybe you missed seeing them?

I'm doing well to remember a new co-worker's name after the weekend. I'd never remember the name or face of someone I interacted with a couple of times a year while surrounded by fifty other people competing for his attention.

I admit it never occurred to me to ask about tickets at the haulers. By nature, I'm not a bargainer.

I'd rather spend rain delays in the car reading than watching the Waltrips interview yet another driver who's change into his civvies.

The haulers didn't have to go through your gear because they're the ones that handed it to you. To me, the convenience of being able to paw through the merchandise myself is well worth them looking in my bag on the way out.

Wal-mart every time, but then I don't buy beef.

Wouldn't it be great if tracks cordoned off a whole section of the stands for fans of certain drivers?
I like sitting with fans of other drivers, being able to yank their chains and have them razz me back, or switch to the driver of the guy next to me if Kenseth is taken out.

If you start down that path, the next thing you know there will whole Internet sites where the everybody on them all agree on the same political stance and won't even listen to a dissenting opinion. :D

Nothing they can do will get me to want them to keep the tents. Nothing.
Fair enough. But that doesn't change the fact that teams like Furniture Row, JTG, Petty, Front Row etc will have even less of a selection by going back to the haulers. For many of their fans, that's enough reason to not want a change.

I’ll bet it was a hoot bein’ next to a drunk Micheal Waltrip “fan.”

Ain’t thinkin’ the sponsors are all that important to the faithful.

These generic “my driver” hats are being hawked on the SHR site. They’ve got tee shirts ‘n other stuff used to proclaim one’s allegiance to their idols-on-the-asphalt. JGR has stuff just like it.

Am kinda curious why CGR, with Whatizname, ain’t offering any Larson stuff now that he’s won a couple ‘n the bandwagoners are jumpin’ on.

View attachment 26430

The irony is amazing. I used to have a Spencer hat that was almost identical to that KuB hat.

But amid declining merchandise sales linked in part to lower attendance this year, Fanatics is now looking at moving to more of a hybrid approach whereby it will tailor its efforts toward the intricacies of each track, which could include using everything from smaller tents to haulers and new brick-and-mortar stores in tracks. A key focus for Fanatics is getting more merchandise sold inside the actual track venue itself, as opposed to only having one large tent outside where fans can purchase merch. Some of the changes will be rolled out as soon as the next few weeks, but sources cautioned that the newest iterations may continue to be tweaked as time goes on. Despite lower overall sales, sources said that NASCAR has seen upticks in merchandise sales for some key up and coming drivers this year including Chase Elliott and Ryan Blaney. NASCAR and Fanatics declined comment.

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/...arketing-and-Sponsorship/NASCAR-Fanatics.aspx

Oh, and these days people are getting the rain updates on their phones with a NASCAR app.
"Most" people get rain updates...I don't have one of those fancy phones that can do that, I guess that makes me more than just an "old school fan". I would gladly talk to the folks at the trailer while I wait for the rain update...again my point is a personal connection means more.

A friend of mine met Austin Dillon in the tent the day of the Xfinity race in Daytona this past February. He was there signing some random items and placing them back on the shelves for some lucky future customers to buy not knowing they were signed.

I've seen this and heard of this happening quite often in the tent.

Struggling to see how this is any different/better:

BrYoAUVCEAAzhXs.jpg:large

635609208201544018-XXX-BRICKRACE-94.JPG
I swear NASCAR fans really just don't like change that's all it is lol.. how can this actually be any better??? It isn't it's just that NASCAR fans dont like any change

I liked the haulers during my "concussed" years as a McMurray fan.... no lines for me back in those days.

I guess I'm in the minority, I actually like the Fanatics setup. You can buy several different drivers' merchandise and pay for it all at once, not to mention you can handle the merchandise and not have to wait for the person working the hauler to pull something down or take it out of a glass case for you to see it.

doesnt matter to me I buy online when there are sales for stuff or on clearance I have no issue buy stuff from this year in the off season for next season I got my Truex stuff after he won for 20% off I wont pay full price its shocking what they charge!!!

Nothing they can do will get me to want them to keep the tents. Nothing.

My personal preference is the haulers because I could go to a team of my choice and look at everything they had up high on the wall and see the price and decide if it was something I wanted. I have no experience with the tents but in other applications I have not liked those sorts of things as they have reminded me of a cross between a flea market and a rummage sale.

I gather what they are saying is that at most tracks sales don't justify the resources used in hauling a huge tent around. It makes sense to me as at places like Richmond and NH you will have relatively small crowds and at the plate tracks you will have unusually large crowds. I am surprised they used the one size fits all model to begin with.

doesnt matter to me I buy online when there are sales for stuff or on clearance I have no issue buy stuff from this year in the off season for next season I got my Truex stuff after he won for 20% off I wont pay full price its shocking what they charge!!!

When it comes to items I can buy that support local business I do all I can to patronize them but in other cases I buy online as it is less hassle and costs less.

I have to admit that I enjoyed walking through the haulers, looking to see if there was something new, but I never bought much directly from them. All I can remember buying from a hauler was RC radio gear and that one time I bought ear muffs at Darlington. What I did like to buy from the track was at the track's stall. A track souvenir, something with the track name on it, usually in the form of a towel but in a few cases, a tee shirt. I don't think I would take the time to cruise the Fanatics tents.

Back
Top Bottom