Fanatics Tent

I have to admit that I enjoyed walking through the haulers, looking to see if there was something new, but I never bought much directly from them. All I can remember buying from a hauler was RC radio gear and that one time I bought ear muffs at Darlington. What I did like to buy from the track was at the track's stall. A track souvenir, something with the track name on it, usually in the form of a towel but in a few cases, a tee shirt. I don't think I would take the time to cruise the Fanatics tents.
For some reason unbeknownst to me I started buying event pins years ago at every race we went to. I still do and don't know why. Habit I guess. :idunno:

For some reason unbeknownst to me I started buying event pins years ago at every race we went to. I still do and don't know why. Habit I guess. :idunno:
If I had known about them, I would have too. It sounds like a nice thing to collect. I tried collecting the plastic drink cups that had the track's name of them, then they quit making them.

I do the same...it's usually the first thing I do as soon as I get out of my car. I probably have 60 at this point. It's funny seeing the differences year to year in the races I consistently go to. Sometimes it's a drastically different pin each year, while other times it's basically identical to the one from a year prior, other than a different date. All different prices, too, which I find odd for some reason.

I keep them all in an old moonshine jar. I imagine after I die my kids will will get them and think they're really cool. Then they'll leave them to my grandchildren who will probably eBay them.

That's a chuckle. Wonder what a matched pair, new 'n NOS, would bring on eBay.

No idea. I wore that thing until it fell apart. Most comfortable hat I've ever had. Definitely not going to get a Kurt hat to see if it's as comfortable; I can guarantee it would feel all wrong. ;)

They're back.

Sports retail company Fanatics will ditch its big superstore-like tent for many events and plans to start using merchandise haulers to sell driver shirts, hats and other souvenirs in fan activity areas outside of racetracks while increasing the number of mini-stores inside the spectator gates at upcoming NASCAR races.

Fanatics took over the NASCAR at-track retail business in 2015 and scrapped the merchandise haulers in favor of the tent, which it debuted in August 2015 and has continued to adjust in size and format over the last two years. The idea was to provide a better shopping experience where people could casually look through merchandise and feel the material of products in a climate-controlled atmosphere.

http://www.espn.com/racing/nascar/c...-revamping-how-sells-merchandise-nascar-races

Reactions: Pat
If you think that Furniture Row selection was small, just wait until they're one of 10 "other" teams (and 3 or 4 retired drivers) sharing a hauler! Trust me, if you're a Furniture Row/MTJ fan, you're praying they keep the tents...

Truth. The year Kurt was in the 78 it took me half an hour to figure out where the FRR gear was and it was in a trailer that was shared with several other drivers. Been a few years but I think the 9, 43, 78, and a couple others were all in one trailer.

I did enjoy the trailers but also understand how it's not sustainable particularly with attendance dropping. I do 90% of my race shopping online anyway so not too big a deal.

""We've got all this money and all this product invested [in the tent] and it's sitting outside the gates where there is nobody coming [while the race is happening]," Tannenbaum said. "All those people are inside and at some point walking around or doing something and there's a very poor product offering."

They didn't learn that from observing the old model before they took over? Once the race started, the old hauler area was deserted too. I recall at Rockingham seeing signs, "We'll be leaving for Phoenix when the race starts", getting the jump on the long haul since no one would be shopping anyway.

I have my preference, but overall souvenir shopping is a small part of my trip to the track. I don't see this affecting the amount I spend.

Seeing all the haulers its cool so thats one plus I like.

Crowds have never been an issue to me shopping but like a lot of folks on here I usually go to the track for the whole weekend so if I do any shopping it's Saturday morning or Friday afternoon when there are not a lot of people at the track.

They're haulers that carry merchandise, they aren't car haulers. I don't get the fuss or understand what's so cool about them. Again, I grew up with the haulers and it was strange to see them go, but imo they hit it out of the park with the Fanatics tent in terms of what I look for in a shopping experience. It's just like going to any retail store the way they have it currently.

Prepare for a severe drop in variety (and probably quantity) is all I have to say. Oh and waiting in line just to see an item up close - always awesome.

If I read it right they are planning on having both, it depends on which track they go to. So much for saving the teams money. now they have to have both trailers and tents.. trailers worked for years..so lets change it.

I've seen many people having their pictures taken while standing against the 'closed' side of the trailer.

This is one the the things that happen whenever they make changes. I know it is a little thing, but I bet not one of them thought about fans having less of an experience in a tent instead. The little things add up.

Personally, I couldn't care less if they have a tent or haulers. I buy my merch online instead of waiting until I'm at a track come race day.

I do like the small "gypsy" stands that sell older/rare stuff. Someone on here posted a pic of a sweet Ricky Rudd shirt from 1995 that they bought cheap at a race last year. That's the kind of stuff that interests me. The stuff in the tents is the exact same stuff you can find online for less money. YMMV.

I much prefer the tent for a few reasons. We usually pick up a track/event hat at each race we go. My wife and I are high level OCD when it comes to our hats. We'll go through every one to find the best. At the tent we can do that, at a trailer they hand you one and get you moving.

We also like to get a pin or magnet from each race which are kept in display cases at the trailers. No way I'm standing in line for 10 minutes to get up to the front and find out they don't have any. The third main reason is we like different drivers. With the tent we can go to each driver's "store" and stand in one line opposed to different lines for each driver at the trailers.

We were at Talladega this past weekend. The tent was half the size as last October and they had smaller satellite tents behind the grandstands. They also had two trailers behind the superstores.

My wife and I are high level OCD when it comes to our hats. We'll go through every one to find the best.
I'm relieved to know I'm not the only one like this. Hats fit me so crazy lol. What you said goes in line with my being "baby sat" comment. I hate having to wait on them to hand me stuff and feel bad if I continue to ask them to hand me things just for me to decide it's not to my liking.

This is one the the things that happen whenever they make changes. I know it is a little thing, but I bet not one of them thought about fans having less of an experience in a tent instead. The little things add up.
The souvenir trailers, and the amount of them was unique to NASCAR, it is a small part of the overall track experience , its just something that you can really experience by going to a race, its one of the many things that made NASCAR different.

I honestly can not comment on which I like better, I have not been to a race since the tents started being used, so I cant compare the two.

Anyone go to Charlotte this weekend that can provide some insight into and maybe some photos of the new version of the merchandise haulers?

@Johali?

Anyone go to Charlotte this weekend that can provide some insight into and maybe some photos of the new version of the merchandise haulers?

@Johali?

Just different team haulers set up outside the track with a monster hauler set up and new era tent .. I actually like the big fanatics tent .. I can just go get everything I need. Instead of going to hauler to hauler ...

@Johali?
There were not as many trailers but enough to do the job. We didn't bother with the tent. As expected we liked it a lot better than the tent. I didn't think to take pictures. I'll take some at Dover and post them.

I am not privy to the exact details of the sales then, but it was definately percieved that each team/driver was in charge of their own deal. I believe Sr., along with his friend and business parter(his name escapes me) from Sports Image, was one of the first to corner the souvenir/apparel market. If I'm not mistaken Dale gave credit to Teresa for the foresite of this arrangement.
Actually the smaller teams were well represented at the time. AK would be a good example. I think under the old model, the Truex and Bass Pro shops trailer would be a sure bet for success.
So I stand by my opinion about the NASCAR money grab. I just missed the decade in which it happened! LOL

It sounds to me like Kyle Larson wonders where his money is going also.

They had Trailers at Daytona last week and yes, Jr's trailer was 10 deep 10 wide at times in line at the trailer.

20170630_185422_resized.jpg

20170630_185429_resized.jpg

20170630_185426_resized.jpg

The best selections we found were at DAYTONA 2000 on A1A on the beach. I found a #20 Tide Tee shirt there and the wife found a long sleeve Tee of Larsons. Plus the place had a huge car model collection from way back when to now. Even if you do not buy anything it is worth the visit.

Daytona 2000 386-239-8334 43 S. Atlantic Ave. Daytona beach Fl.32118

20170706_090848_resized.jpg

20170706_091046_resized.jpg

Last edited:
I don't know how to do the whole tweet thing, but Larson said that he made more money in T-shirt sales the last week running a sprint car then he did all year in NASCAR. Where is the money going? I think we all have an idea

I don't know how to do the whole tweet thing, but Larson said that he made more money in T-shirt sales the last week running a sprint car then he did all year in NASCAR. Where is the money going? I think we all have an idea
Been numerous articles on this subject this week. Jayski probably has some links.

Following the money in NASCAR merchandise is a difficult path for drivers

http://nascar.nbcsports.com/2017/07...ar-merchandise-is-a-winding-path-for-drivers/

The part that really stands out.....

This is somewhat analogous to NASCAR’s 10-year contract for its trackside merchandise business with Fanatics that started in 2015. Under that deal, 75 percent of the revenue goes to Fanatics, which provides the infrastructure, marketing, staffing, transportation and security.

The rest of the revenue is split thusly: 15 percent to the track, nine percent to teams (which generally is divvied into thirds between the team, driver and sponsor) and one percent to NASCAR.

Reactions: Pat
I do not like the new haulers at all, every one of the concerns I mentioned in previous posts were validated. Fanatics also did not have their tent set up outside like they mentioned they would still do for Daytona, only a smaller one in the fanzone that mostly offered track merchandise. I asked one of the women working Chase's hauler what happened to them bringing the tent superstore to Daytona and she asked me "Do you like the tent better?" I politely just said there were a few things that I preferred about it even though I grew up with the haulers.

My gf who is new to the sport for just over a year now was appalled. She didn't see how anyone could prefer the current set up over the large tent.

I do not like the new haulers at all, every one of the concerns I mentioned in previous posts were validated. Fanatics also did not have their tent set up outside like they mentioned they would still do for Daytona, only a smaller one in the fanzone that mostly offered track merchandise. I asked one of the women working Chase's hauler what happened to them bringing the tent superstore to Daytona and she asked me "Do you like the tent better?" I politely just said there were a few things that I preferred about it even though I grew up with the haulers.

My gf who is new to the sport for just over a year now was appalled. She didn't see how anyone could prefer the current set up over the large tent.

I remember my ex being apalled at the way the girl with her shorts unbuttoned at Darlington was eating a hotdog.
I don't remember her having too much to say about the souvenir trailers

I too went to Daytona and enjoyed walking around looking at the merchandise at the haulers. If they had not brought the haulers and only had the Fanatics tent I would not have even set foot in it. Some people just like different things, nothing wrong with that.

I too went to Daytona and enjoyed walking around looking at the merchandise at the haulers. If they had not brought the haulers and only had the Fanatics tent I would not have even set foot in it. Some people just like different things, nothing wrong with that.
Had you tried the tent in the past?

Back
Top Bottom