Fantasy Racing 2020 - This year, FREE.

Charlie Spencer

Road courses and short tracks.
The season is four weeks out. The Daytona 500 is coming at us like Martin Truex going for stage points. It's time to start talking about fantasy games for the 2020 season. (@pjmolo already has the Bold Predictions game. @Greg and @TexasRaceLady, get it in gear!)

I've offered this league before, but in the past we had to charge dues. This year, we're able to run it for free. Here's the short version:
  • Drivers are sorted into five groups based on current points standings.
  • Each week, pick one driver from each group for a team of five drivers.
  • The deadline for making your picks is when the TV broadcast starts.
  • You get the points earned by your drivers, including stage and finishing points.
  • You can only pick a driver nine times during the 36-race season.
  • Teams are cleared after each race; you pick a new team every week.
  • Drivers groups are resorted after each race, based on the latest points standings.
  • The player with the most points at the end of the season is the winner.
The web application we use provides live scoring during the race, with unofficial results as soon as the race is over. It also keeps track for you on how many times you've used each driver. Everyone plays everyone else each week; there are no pairings, individual match-ups, byes, elimination rounds, or playoffs.

If you're interested or have questions, you can reply to me here. If you already know you want to play, send me a peer message (click my avatar, then click 'Start a Conversation') and Include this information:
  • your name,
  • e-mail address (don't post your e-mail address here!),
  • team name,
  • a password (I can make one up if you'd prefer)
I'll reply to you with my private e-mail address and then add your team to the FanStar web site. After I set up, you'll receive an invitation from FanStar via e-mail to the address you provided.

Regardless of what games you play, I hope everyone has a great season.

Last edited:
How are the driver rankings going to be handled for the 500?
Rankings for the first three races (D500, Las Vegas 1, California) are based on final 2019 rankings. Rookies and others who did not run for Cup points last year will be in the fifth tier. If necessary, the groups will be adjusted to compensate for 2019 drivers who don't have a 2020 ride, and for one-off drivers who only run the D500.
  • For example, Daniel Hemric finished 2019 in 25th place. If he had a ride, he'd be in the fourth tier. Because he doesn't, 29th place finisher Cory LaJoie will be moved up from the fifth tier to start the season in the fourth tier.
  • Another example: Paul Menard is entered for the D500 but is not scheduled after that. His 19th place finish last year puts him in the third group, but for Daytona only. After that, he'll be dropped and Matt DiBenedetto will move up to fill that hole for Las Vegas. Since that leaves another opening in the fourth group, Quinn Houff will move from group 5 to 4. If Menard comes back after the third race, he'll be put in a group based on his 2020 points, not 2019.
After the third race, the groups will be resorted weekly based on current points. Why three races? Two reasons. One is back before the charter system, NASCAR used to use to guarantee entry for the first three races based on the previous season's owner points, so that's the number we've stuck with. Two is that the driver standings change so much in the first three races that it's difficult to get them sorted out correctly each week. By the fourth race, they've stabilized somewhat.

If anyone wants to read the full rules, go here, click the blue box in the upper left, and scroll down to Rules. Ignore the stuff about your first-born male child and your tax refunds; that just standard legal requirements. :D

http://fanstarsports.com/nascar/switchracing/

Last edited:
Thank's Charlie for doing this league and making it available here.
I am getting my league information and loose ends together and I will post the thread this week.

Charlie, I hope you have great particpation and a great season with this league.

I may think about doing it I usually peter out on fantasy part way through so I'll have to think about it.

I'm tied up in a networking class this week. I may get a chance to reply on a weeknight but it probably won't be until Saturday.

Has an entry list been released yet? I want to have all the part-time drivers included before I open the flood gates.

when can we set teams?
The driver groups are set for Daytona now, thanks to @Joker.

You can change your team as often as you wish. Teams are locked in at the scheduled TV start time. Be aware that the final group contains all drivers entered for Daytona, and that three of those drivers aren't going to make the field. If you enter your team before the qualifying races Thursday, check to be sure all of your drivers will start the race.

The driver groups are set for Daytona now, thanks to @Joker.

You can change your team as often as you wish. Teams are locked in at the scheduled TV start time. Be aware that the final group contains all drivers entered for Daytona, and that three of those drivers aren't going to make the field. If you enter your team before the qualifying races Thursday, check to be sure all of your drivers will start the race.

I'll hold off until final practice, lol.

Nope. I usually start soliciting for new players and touch base with old ones during the Rolex, then send out details during the Clash.

Alright cool, cause I knew you PM you set it up once we got more peeps, and I just never heard anything since and was thinking I was missing something.

Alright cool, cause I knew you PM you set it up once we got more peeps, and I just never heard anything since and was thinking I was missing something.
Have you received any e-mails from me or Fanstar yet? I've had replies from the other new players in my e-mail by not from you. If you haven't had anything yet, would you go back to the PM to me and check the e-mail address you gave me?

Thanks!

There is an IOS app, but on my phone anyway its hard to read and navigate.

@Charlie Spencer Bell is gone again. What's it got against Bell?
Nemechek too, The first time, I thought somehow I'd missed moving them into the group. There's definitely something going on with these two.

I've put them back AGAIN and e-mail Fanstar tech support. I've also e-mailed everyone else in the league so they know what's going on. If you have any problems, let me know. I apologize for how this looks. We've used this site for four years and never had a problem like this.

Also, you should have my personal e-mail address by now. That's better way to reach me than this. Sometimes when I record a race (like I'm doing with today's Xfinity), I may avoid this forum so I don't get any spoilers.

Nemechek too, The first time, I thought somehow I'd missed moving them into the group. There's definitely something going on with these two.

I've put them back AGAIN and e-mail Fanstar tech support. I've also e-mailed everyone else in the league so they know what's going on. If you have any problems, let me know. I apologize for how this looks. We've used this site for four years and never had a problem like this.

Also, you should have my personal e-mail address by now. That's better way to reach me than this. Sometimes when I record a race (like I'm doing with today's Xfinity), I may avoid this forum so I don't get any spoilers.

No problems man. It ain't your fault. Appreciate you spending your time for us.

Last second switch to Hamlin saved my ass here too :cool:

Way too early to worry. It's a LONG season. Let's see how you're doing after Labor Day when you start using up drivers. ;) Evans City is notorious for fading late. DJ Hooker is our Harvick - 'Where did he come from?'

Oof.

I need to remind myself to change my lineup... Third week in a row with my group from Daytona...

Back
Top Bottom