Favorite NASCAR team job except driver:

DanicaFreak

2021 Big Gator winner <Green Monster>
Mine is the tire changers.

They fly around the car....no care that other cars hit them on occasion, and yeah the cars might not be coming down pit road full song like the old days but its still FAST....

My dream job would have been to work as an engine assembler. I also REALLY enjoyed being the last guy to go over the car top to bottom before it was inspected and pushed onto the starting line. Of the pit stop jobs, tire changing is likely the most fun, but my poor old knees just couldn't take it. I DID do it during some practice drills. I also took a stab at being a gas man (in the garage area only) and despite my size, found it VERY difficult to do. I carried tires and catch canned during races, but I fell in love with being the jack man. Like most of the pit stop jobs, there is a LOT more than meets the eye to do it well.

Mine is the tire changers.

They fly around the car....no care that other cars hit them on occasion, and yeah the cars might not be coming down pit road full song like the old days but its still FAST....

Yup, NASCAR Tire Changers -- it doesn't get more down to earth blue-collar than that mission in the Pits.

Moving tires, hitting lug nuts with precision, yanking body panels, etc -- all while dealing with heat, flames, race cars... and the clock.

Yup, NASCAR Tire Changers -- it doesn't get more down to earth blue-collar than that mission in the Pits.

Moving tires, hitting lug nuts with precision, yanking body panels, etc -- all while dealing with heat, flames, race cars... and the clock.

I don't think the average race fan can totally appreciate just how damn hot those tires are when they come off the car, and the rims are even hotter. Those things will scorch you in a heartbeat. The heat goes right through your gloves.

I've sat and watched teams work in and around the cars for hours on practice days and have always thought every single one of them have the most amazing jobs in the world. They're all important in their own way and it's always cool seeing them year after year at the track.

I don't think the average race fan can totally appreciate just how damn hot those tires are when they come off the car, and the rims are even hotter. Those things will scorch you in a heartbeat. The heat goes right through your gloves.
Or the absolute rush you get when doing it

Crew Chief with Race Engineer close second.

Spotter 1st, crew chief 2nd, team cook or hauler driver 3rd.

Being an engineer seems like a high stress, low reward (I guess they get paid well but they don't get a lot of media attention etc) type of position compared to a crew chief.

Back
Top Bottom