Finally the Daytona 500 Race Thread

Bigger rear wicker??????You talking about the shark fin on the trunk?
Yes. I know this was originally implemented to help stop the cars from getting air born when they start spinning. It changes the amount of side force on the left side of the car does it not? When they pull out to the outside of another car to pass this should change the side draft combined with the smaller spoiler. Wasn't the fin enlarged this year or am I wrong on that? Like I said just speculation on my part, I could be totally off base on this.

From Jayski.....

Update on jet dryer driver from Daytona 500 accident: Michigan International Speedway had three jet dryers and two employees at Daytona International Speedway assisting with Monday's Daytona 500. The jet dryer driven by Duane Barnes, 52, of Addison, Mich., was hit from behind by #42-Juan Pablo Montoya during a caution. Barnes was released from Halifax Medical Center after a precautionary evaluation by doctors late Monday night. He returned to the racetrack to watch the end of the race. Barnes has worked in the Maintenance Department at Michigan International Speedway for 24 years. He has frequently assisted other International Speedway Corporation-owned racetracks, driving jet dryers at those events. MIS supports other racetracks by sending staff and equipment to events. Barnes is surprised at the outpouring of well wishes, and thanks everyone for their concern. "I appreciate everyone for taking the time to write, call and ask how I am. I am OK and I am amazed at how many people have wished me well. I am also glad Juan Pablo Montoya is OK, and thank him for his concern," Barnes said

Also from Jayski, some update D500 stats.....

Race Fast Facts - Daytona:
#17-Matt Kenseth won the 54th Annual Daytona 500 , his 22nd victory in 437 NASCAR Sprint Cup Series races.

Kenseth is the ninth driver to win multiple Daytona 500s. His first Daytona 500 victory came in the rain-shortened 2009 event.

This is Roush Fenway Racing's 300th NASCAR national Series victory (126 wins in the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series; 124 in the NASCAR Nationwide Series; 50 in the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series).

Kenseth also won his Gatorade Duel at Daytona race. The last driver to win both a Duel and the Daytona 500 was Dale Earnhardt Jr. in 2004.

This is his second victory and 12th top-10 finish in 25 races at Daytona International Speedway.

#88-Dale Earnhardt Jr. (second) posted his 14th top-10 finish in 25 races at Daytona International Speedway.

#16-Greg Biffle (third) posted his fifth top-10 finish in 19 races at Daytona International Speedway.(NASCAR Statistics)

Boy, how those above stats could have changed had The Biff even attempted to pull out and pass! I mean, the guy could have at least made an effort. That's all I'm saying..... for now. ;)

Also from Jayski, some update D500 stats.....

Boy, how those above stats could have changed had The Biff even attempted to pull out and pass! I mean, the guy could have at least made an effort. That's all I'm saying..... for now. ;)

For sure. He could've wrecked he 3 of them when the #88 moved up on his rear quarter and Hamlin would be the Daytona 500 winner. Man, ole' Biff really would've taken some heat then. Vickers has felt the wrath, I believe, for causing Earnhardt to not win ;)

For sure. He could've wrecked he 3 of them when the #88 moved up on his rear quarter and Hamlin would be the Daytona 500 winner. Man, ole' Biff really would've taken some heat then. Vickers has felt the wrath, I believe, for causing Earnhardt to not win ;)
I wasn't even talking about an Earnhardt win, although that would have been nice. I don't think his outcome would have been any different than it was at best. I'd just think that if I were Biffle in that situation I would have at least tried to win the dang race. If I were a Biffle fan I'd be disappointed in my driver right now. It was obvious, again IMO, to not just me but also in the comments coming from the booth that he was just being a team player in that situation. I don't really care what was said afterwards, I'm only forming my opinion on what I saw on the track. I know there are those out there that believe the Biffle/Earnhardt combo were doing all they could to get by Kenseth. I think those people are only half right.

This just in on Daytona 500 Montoya incident.....

Earnhardt-Ganassi Racing confirms rear trailing arm in JPM's 42 broke on backstretch at Daytona 500, triggering accident.

Yes. I know this was originally implemented to help stop the cars from getting air born when they start spinning. It changes the amount of side force on the left side of the car does it not? When they pull out to the outside of another car to pass this should change the side draft combined with the smaller spoiler. Wasn't the fin enlarged this year or am I wrong on that? Like I said just speculation on my part, I could be totally off base on this.
No I'm with you on that thought.That's why I think they can't touch those cars on the left rear.That's the only difference between the left and right rear of the car.

When you said Bigger rear wicker I was thinking of the lip they put across the top of the rear spoiler.Which they don't have this year.

I just find it funny that Bif could pull up to the 17's rear bumper for every lap of the race except for the last one.:rolleyes:But hey that Ford Cheerleader from the West Coast is going thru alot of trouble to try and get us to believe it.

Believe what you want. I'm basing my opinion from the statements of the two guys that finished 2nd and 3rd, not a bunch of (sad) Chevy lovers on a chat forum.

Racing Forums: http://racing-forums.com/threads/bleacher-reports-video-break-down-of-biffles-failure-to-race.40829/

Bleacher Report: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...trayed-nascar-with-allegiance-to-matt-kenseth :

Biffle is not going to admit that is what he was doing. Here is Biffle, as quoted by David Caraviello of NASCAR.com:

Then we could have moved up beside him coming off the corner, and then Junior and I would have had to dice it out to the line. That's probably what I should have done, is just anchored down the brakes down the backstretch and put distance in between us.
[That's] the only way we probably would have got a run at him. But I thought for sure I didn't need to do that. Of course, Monday morning quarterback, I'd do it now, but I didn't think I needed to. I thought [Earnhardt would] shove me right up to his back bumper. He had all night. I had no doubt it would happen then.

I wasn't even talking about an Earnhardt win, although that would have been nice. I don't think his outcome would have been any different than it was at best. I'd just think that if I were Biffle in that situation I would have at least tried to win the dang race. If I were a Biffle fan I'd be disappointed in my driver right now. It was obvious, again IMO, to not just me but also in the comments coming from the booth that he was just being a team player in that situation. I don't really care what was said afterwards, I'm only forming my opinion on what I saw on the track. I know there are those out there that believe the Biffle/Earnhardt combo were doing all they could to get by Kenseth. I think those people are only half right.

IMO, it was a team thing and it's not the first time we've seen it and it wont be the last. I'm not sugesting it's you, but I also think one of the biggest issues here is the team - not the orders.

We've witnessed HMS steam roll 4 cars around the competition and the birds are singing and the sun is shining - it's all good. When a couple of Fords do it, then it's a different story.

Biffle did nothing wrong aside from strap into a Ford and not help Earnhardt win that race. Earnhardt isn't on his team - Kenseth is!

Again, DP, Im not saying that you feel any certain way but I do think it's a prevailing opinion.

So, for me it's now a dead horse and a done deal but I doubt we've heard the last of it for a while.

We all know Jack wanted the 17 to win .That's the only way he will get the rest of the sponsors he needs for that car to finish the year.It's easier to sell the Daytona 500 winner than the guy who came in 2nd.Cause we all know nobody remembers who comes in 2nd.

We all know Jack wanted the 17 to win .That's the only way he will get the rest of the sponsors he needs for that car to finish the year.It's easier to sell the Daytona 500 winner than the guy who came in 2nd.Cause we all know nobody remembers who comes in 2nd.

That's a GREAT point. When David was losing his sponsor last year, Matt bit the bullet and pushed him to a win that could have easily been his. Maybe Greg did the right thing for the company. I still don't understand how Matt let one go, and now I wonder about Biffle.

I beleive you have something there. What happened with Edwards anyway?

Yes, a good observation.

That's a GREAT point. When David was losing his sponsor last year, Matt bit the bullet and pushed him to a win that could have easily been his. Maybe Greg did the right thing for the company. I still don't understand how Matt let one go, and now I wonder about Biffle.

Yes, a good observation.

Thanks Ya'll and to think I didn't even sleep in a Holiday Inn Express last night to come up with that one.:bounce:

Matt Kenseth was on the KTLA Morning News set this morning. He was asked about a lot of things but he was NOT asked whether or not he thought his teammate was blocking for him!

Back
Top Bottom