Fixing Attendance

Are more people going to tune in from home to see a tightrope walker walk 3 feet off the ground with a safety net under him or walk between 2 skyscrapers with nothing but 38 floors and the ground beneath him? Why was Evel Knievel so popular and why do people always gravitate to daredevils?
Exactly. I mean, losing my heroes wouldn't be something I'd want to see, and I'm thankful for the advances in safety (hell, I'm on my friends for not wearing gloves and having full safety compliments), but when auto racing was on top, the drivers were billed as daredevils, and really were. Nobody really wanted to see anyone get hurt or die, but there was certainly a certain romance about seeing them defy it.

Exactly. I mean, losing my heroes wouldn't be something I'd want to see, and I'm thankful for the advances in safety (hell, I'm on my friends for not wearing gloves and having full safety compliments), but when auto racing was on top, the drivers were billed as daredevils, and really were. Nobody really wanted to see anyone get hurt or die, but there was certainly a certain romance about seeing them defy it.

Unfortunately some people will incorrectly interpret your remarks as saying you want drivers to get hurt and to die but I know that is not the case at all. All you are saying is that Nascar doesn't really have any elements of danger anymore and because of the lack of real or perceived danger people tune out. I get it but some will be too busy melting down to understand that what you are saying is the truth.

Racing has evolved and addressed the safety issues of deaths and maiming and has done a pretty decent job. Nascar might have lost some fans because of it, but they are not being chicken**** about it. Unlike stick n ball sports who have spent millions, falsified documents, bought off doctors to try to sweep their injury problems under the rug. The worm is slowly turning for those folks, denial is hard to look at, and like Nascar they have fans they will have to pry their dead hands off of the remote to get them to quit watching, but it is what it is, the cat is out of the bag. High school star for one of the big schools is out for at least the season for a brain injury, made the front page.

I got it... two words: Talladega Roval.
Modification to the track is definitely the only way they'll get my butt in a seat there. Daytona too.

Alright all forgiven , y'all are great. Truth be known , it rained at our house, but we needed it.
I was there this spring and last fall, the crowd was much more filled in corner to corner and
toward the fence yesterday.
Jr. Effect.

Actually, I suspect some people DO want to see drivers and daredevils get injured or die. I never saw the 'romance' in that aspect of the sport and I applaud every effort to eliminate it.

Racing has evolved and addressed the safety issues of deaths and maiming and has done a pretty decent job. Nascar might have lost some fans because of it, but they are not being chicken**** about it. Unlike stick n ball sports who have spent millions, falsified documents, bought off doctors to try to sweep their injury problems under the rug. The worm is slowly turning for those folks, denial is hard to look at, and like Nascar they have fans they will have to pry their dead hands off of the remote to get them to quit watching, but it is what it is, the cat is out of the bag.

There isn't a whole lot that can be done for stick and ball players who tear up knees or break a bone as what happened with Aaron Rogers yesterday. The NFL and NHL have concussion protocols that keep potentially concussed players on the sidelines but when you are playing an actual sport with actual players who make actual contact things are going to give. Players know the dangers of getting hurt prior to playing so if they have concerns the can try Nascar, bowling or golf as there are not many injuries sustained in those fields.

Auto racing in general and NASCAR racing in particular has dramatically reduced the risk of serious injury and / or death.

Thank goodness for that. Anyone who thinks the risks have been eliminated is fooling him or herself.

They knew what the risks are.
Funny that is what the die hards say. That used to work for motorsports back in the 70's.

It's interesting that so many of you think the tracks/racing is the issue.... hint:it's not.

Part of the backstretch grandstands are now overlooking the mud bog outside of Virginia Motor Speedway (which is owned by form Richmond owners, the Sawyer family).
The old Talladega Superstretch

It's interesting that so many of you think the tracks/racing is the issue.... hint:it's not.
I hate the points system. but thats just me, and another topic for another time which I have gotten into various times in the less than 1 year I've been a poster with these folks. I do wish there were a bit more variety in tracks though.

Modification to the track is definitely the only way they'll get my butt in a seat there. Daytona too.
I think the roval idea for Charlotte will be an epic failure however they'd have my behind in a seat if they ran the Daytona Roval. Seeing it first hand when I went to the Rolex was pretty damn cool, I watched from the stadium. Id so love to watch a cup race from the infield there where they have seating for the course.

I think the roval idea for Charlotte will be an epic failure however they'd have my behind in a seat if they ran the Daytona Roval. Seeing it first hand when I went to the Rolex was pretty damn cool, I watched from the stadium. Id so love to watch a cup race from the infield there where they have seating for the course.
I plan to see the Charlotte roval myself. The Rolex is on my 'To Do' list, and right now that's the only event I hope to see there.

I plan to see the Charlotte roval myself. The Rolex is on my 'To Do' list, and right now that's the only event I hope to see there.
The Rolex is awesome, we had a great time. My gf wants to go back more than me this year, we will see who decides to race it. It’d be worth it just to see the new Penske team make a go of it

NASCARs die hard fan base is dying and they are doing a piss poor job at keeping up with what Millenial consumers want
I don't know many Millennials so I certainly don't know what they want. But then, I'm not getting paid to figure that out. I -assume- someone is, but maybe I'm mistaken again.

NASCARs die hard fan base is dying and they are doing a piss poor job at keeping up with what Millenial consumers want

People don't like it when I bring up the mortality issue but you are 100% right. The older fans are dying off and are not being replaced and there are also a lot of fans walking away like what happened when Jeff retired and it will happen again when Dale Jr is done.

Piss on millennials. Even though I am one.

I know brilliant millennials that are entrepreneurs and great assets to society. I also know millennials that literally live in Mom and Dad's basement and refuse to launch. I know vibrant and skilled Baby Boomers and I know cranky good for little ones that behave in ways they said they never would. Good and bad in everything.

I take advice from people who have earned my respect.

I love NASCAR! A lot of y'all complain about stupid stuff to be honest.. if you don't like it , don't watch it or come in here complaining it's so simple

I love NASCAR! A lot of y'all complain about stupid stuff to be honest.. if you don't like it , don't watch it or come in here complaining it's so simple
The thing is....... many of us loved it dearly....... it was a way of life..... we followed it religously.... the love of what we used to enjoy so much is why we still hold on by a thread..... and why we still come here...... It's not as simple as what you asserted...... I think I read somewhere that you were relatively new to Nascar...... Newer viewers are great.... that's what the sport needs!!!! But you have no baseline as to gauge current to past enjoyment.

I am not a big fan of a lot of the racing after Memorial Day but I do enjoy being a casual fan of the series due to the absurdities and unintended consequences Nascar is so good at. It is like watching the Simpsons in human form.

But you have no baseline as to gauge current to past enjoyment.
I do and I can state categorically that the Nascar today would never have become a great entertainment if it had been run the same way 25 yrs ago.
We shouldn't be surprised, great men built empires only to have their children and grandchildren run those same business into bankruptcy. Brian and his sister are just another couple of sperm precipitants to continue the trend.

For a few years I just quit watching after Richmond because The Chase was a damn joke.
Then they went to “playoffs, elimination rounds and stages.” That did it for me.
I still love auto racing but this isn’t racing anymore, it’s manufactured, cartoon drama.
I miss NASCAR. Brian France isn’t NASCAR.
I’ll wait for, “But there’s still cars on the track.” I believe the count was 14 for the last crap plate race. I’ve got better ****t to do for three hours than to sit and wait for 14 cars to finish.
Too bad Brian doesn’t read this crap.

I do and I can state categorically that the Nascar today would never have become a great entertainment if it had been run the same way 25 yrs ago.
We shouldn't be surprised, great men built empires only to have their children and grandchildren run those same business into bankruptcy. Brian and his sister are just another couple of sperm precipitants to continue the trend.

Yep.....that is why I can't go to Eaton's anymore..........:(

Back
Top Bottom