Fixing Attendance

Andy Hillenburg would agree. It sure would be nice to see them race there but even when given the chance at resurrection, fans stayed away from Rockingham. Those two facilities are a dead issue at this point. We ain't going back. Heck, the best of the short tracks was on display yesterday and many stayed away. More than likely the weather had a lot to do with that.

Being honest, despite the great racing attendance at Martinsville isn't that good. I don't think it's the weather, more so than the location. A little town of 13,000 for amenities, hours away from the nearest major metro, it's a wonder it gets any fans at all. Chock that up to NASCAR's camping culture and the product on the track.

In the boom years the sport built tracks in the major metro areas of Kansas, LA, DFW, Miami, Vegas, Chicago, and Cincinnati. The combined population of those areas is in the tens of millions. All those tracks were 1.5 miles or longer. Can you imagine what it would be like if Martinsville or Bristol were copied when building those tracks instead of Charlotte? I don't think the sport would have nearly the same attendance issues as now.

Being honest, despite the great racing attendance at Martinsville isn't that good. I don't think it's the weather, more so than the location. A little town of 13,000 for amenities, hours away from the nearest major metro, it's a wonder it gets any fans at all. Chock that up to NASCAR's camping culture and the product on the track.

In the boom years the sport built tracks in the major metro areas of Kansas, LA, DFW, Miami, Vegas, Chicago, and Cincinnati. The combined population of those areas is in the tens of millions. All those tracks were 1.5 miles or longer. Can you imagine what it would be like if Martinsville or Bristol were copied when building those tracks instead of Charlotte? I don't think the sport would have nearly the same attendance issues as now.

that is always a future possibility to reduce the size of the tracks, but as I say, a race can break out on any track any time. Goodyear finally brought a tire that worked for Martinsville, plenty of grip that worked on the high line was a big reason for the race, not necessarily was it all the track. hopeful that Goodyear will find the right combo for the rest of the smaller tracks.

The most baffling thing for me with the current broadcast deal with Nascar is that there was no competition for the rights. ESPN couldn't run away fast enough and neither could TNT so the fact that FOX and NBC gave Nascar a blank check is absolutely amazing.

I think Nascar will always have a few events on over the air stations but as more time goes by the bulk of the races may end up on the Bo Diddley Network or the reconstituted Noggin channel.
They could end up on the TNN network, if thats still around.

I'd go to more races if I didn't live square in the middle of the aero belt. The only tracks I wouldn't need a hotel for are Kentucky, Indy, Michigan, Chicagoland and maybe Pocono and in the current package those tracks don't put on much of a show (besides Pocono but that track doesn't have a good enough seat go justify the trip).

My dad and I were watching Martinsville and after the finish agreed it'd be fun to attend until we learned about its location and lack of local attractions. Driving 6 and a half hours, getting a hotel room and expenses all didn't add up to a worthy investment.

I'd go to more races if I didn't live square in the middle of the aero belt. The only tracks I wouldn't need a hotel for are Kentucky, Indy, Michigan, Chicagoland and maybe Pocono and in the current package those tracks don't put on much of a show (besides Pocono but that track doesn't have a good enough seat go justify the trip).

My dad and I were watching Martinsville and after the finish agreed it'd be fun to attend until we learned about its location and lack of local attractions. Driving 6 and a half hours, getting a hotel room and expenses all didn't add up to a worthy investment.
There's a great natural history museum right there in town and rafting on the Dan River. There's whitewater rafting and caving in the Appalachians on the way over or back. Appomattox Court House and the homes of several early presidents, including two of Jefferson's, are within 90 minutes.

There are plenty more attraction on the NC side of the track in Greensboro and Raleigh, although those are on the wrong side of the track from you.

Can you be more specific about what kind of attractions attract you?

There's a great natural history museum right there in town and rafting on the Dan River. There's whitewater rafting and caving in the Appalachians on the way over or back. Appomattox Court House and the homes of several early presidents, including two of Jefferson's, are within 90 minutes.

There are plenty more attraction on the NC side of the track in Greensboro and Raleigh, although those are on the wrong side of the track from you.

Can you be more specific about what kind of attractions attract you?
Been going to Martinsville for as long as I have been a NASCAR fan. There's never a problem finding something to do. These days it's mostly kayaking, golfing, camping related activities & dining in the local area in addition to enjoying the best racing NASCAR has to offer.

that is always a future possibility to reduce the size of the tracks, but as I say, a race can break out on any track any time. Goodyear finally brought a tire that worked for Martinsville, plenty of grip that worked on the high line was a big reason for the race, not necessarily was it all the track. hopeful that Goodyear will find the right combo for the rest of the smaller tracks.

The problem is that people don't want to wait around for the possibility of a race to break out because if they spend the money and take the time to go to the track or watch from home the expectation is they will see an entertaining race. The racing may be better than it ever has been but if less and less people are watching what good is it?

One other point: if you're in reach of those tracks, you're also close to some of the finest short tracks in the country - IRP, Salem, Eldora, Winchester, and more. There's plenty of great racing at those tracks, at a fraction of the cost of a Cup race.

Interesting piece, but to me it says more about ESPN's issues than the NFL's (or other sports by extension). ESPN has one game a week, and I assume the two ABC playoff games are on the same contract. That's about 6% of the NFL's 'inventory'. It's not like CBS or Fox is considering dropping pro football.

As the article shows, that 6% that they viewed as being important in a different marketplace when they made the deal. If the demo that advertisers seek are bailing on cable, as everyone agrees they are, then networks aren’t going to pony the big bucks up to resign a sport. As I stated, I’d be looking at this if I was NASCAR.

I’m really interested to see how the next NASCAR contracts play out. Will Fox and NBC do what Turner did? If so, what channels pick the sport up? Does it end up streaming? Some combination? I got no idea.

As the article shows, that 6% that they viewed as being important in a different marketplace when they made the deal. If the demo that advertisers seek are bailing on cable, as everyone agrees they are, then networks aren’t going to pony the big bucks up to resign a sport. As I stated, I’d be looking at this if I was NASCAR.

I’m really interested to see how the next NASCAR contracts play out. Will Fox and NBC do what Turner did? If so, what channels pick the sport up? Does it end up streaming? Some combination? I got no idea.

IDK what the next broadcast deal will look like but I can guarantee you that if FOX and NBC bid there will be an entire new group of people involved as the networks fleeced themselves in the last deal.

I know I was talking about passion from drivers a bunch of pages ago. Absolutely loved seeing Chase getting into it with Denny and the crowd cheering Chase and booing Denny. The sport always needs a good hero and villian.

Our youngest of 3 is now 13 years old next month. She has ZERO tolerance for commercials.
TV production hasn't changed much in the last 40 years. There are much better ways to do commercials than the present format and I am seeing some changes this year in all shows not just NASCAR racing. The commercials in Nascar are still the most ridiculous and to me they are insulting. I have to use the TSN here in Canada and they have the monopoly.

I have been reading on different threads about rivalries and such between drivers and how it is good blah, blah, blah. The dust up between Kyle and JLo at the beginning of the year was supposed to usher in a rivalry and people were saying it was just what the series needed blah, blah, blah. The exchange between Kyle and JLo had a few seconds on the national news front and was gone in a couple of days and nothing became of it just like nothing will become of CE and DH. If folks want to be part of a rivalry go to a Georgia-Georgia Tech football game as that rivalry will last you the entire year.

Back
Top Bottom