follow Kyle Larson

Damn, Larson was second early in B-Main 3, but had contact with at least one other car and something broke. I think that's it for him.

Well that is interesting. It didn't look like he was "wrecked out" to me, it looked like something broke.

Found some video, and Jason Covert walled him pretty good at the beginning of this clip. Could have caused the eventual break.

Obviously that sort of incident doesn't usually result in the victim being awarded a provisional, but, oh well.

More trouble in the feature, and a torn up car by lap 15. Not his night.

it was a track provisional. they can give it to anyone,i guess they thought the fans would like to see him race .pretty cool,too bad he didnt get more laps in.

The 6 car was at Whynot $15K over the weekend. Don't think they made the race. No idea who was driving. If you follow the HuntTheFront guys on youTube you can see it in the last chance qualifier running right behind Davenport. JD got last spot unless they added some provisionals.

The 6 car was at Whynot $15K over the weekend. Don't think they made the race. No idea who was driving. If you follow the HuntTheFront guys on youTube you can see it in the last chance qualifier running right behind Davenport. JD got last spot unless they added some provisionals.

Ok. Man I'm pizzed off. I. WAS. WRONG. First time that's ever happened. 62 year record shot to hail.

Those don't look like Kunz mobiles and the smaller one's sponsor and 1k number I think we will be seeing a lot of that one at the Chili Bowl :punkrocke

Those don't look like Kunz mobiles and the smaller one's sponsor and 1k number I think we will be seeing a lot of that one at the Chili Bowl :punkrocke
Yeah, the sprint is the normal Paul Silva car he drives. The midget looks like his.

What do you think?
I watched Steve Kinser dominate sprint car racing for years. He will always be the King of the Outlaws in my book. For the most part Steve dominated WOO races and had Karl Kinser working his magic on the cars.

Watching Kyle Larson on dirt this year has been epic. I can't think of anyone else who has been so successful in so many different race cars in a year. I am not familiar with who is wrenching on these cars but I am assuming it is different mechanics based on the discipline, which is incredible.

So, is Kyle a better racer than Kinser? Has anyone ever had this kind of success? Is it possible that Kyle is the best driver ever on dirt...at least for one year?

What do you think?
I watched Steve Kinser dominate sprint car racing for years. He will always be the King of the Outlaws in my book. For the most part Steve dominated WOO races and had Karl Kinser working his magic on the cars.

Watching Kyle Larson on dirt this year has been epic. I can't think of anyone else who has been so successful in so many different race cars in a year. I am not familiar with who is wrenching on these cars but I am assuming it is different mechanics based on the discipline, which is incredible.

So, is Kyle a better racer than Kinser? Has anyone ever had this kind of success? Is it possible that Kyle is the best driver ever on dirt...at least for one year?

One thing I will say is that Kinser did it in a non-commercialized era. The amount of funding and now massive OEM support in this series is astonishing.

Also guys aren’t jumping to open wheel like they used to. It’s lucrative enough that most stay on the dirt for their careers. That helps aid the competition

Larson is a Nascar driver that races on dirt. Kinser was a dirt driver that raced in Nascar. No way of telling IMO unless Larson races almost exclusively dirt tracks like Kinser did and that isn't happening.

Larson is a Nascar driver that races on dirt. Kinser was a dirt driver that raced in Nascar. No way of telling IMO unless Larson races almost exclusively dirt tracks like Kinser did and that isn't happening.
I agree over the long haul. Kinser was thrown to the wolves racing for Bernstein in NASCAR. That sucked. But, what about this year? Has anyone ever had the success that Kyle has had? Foyt and Andretti were before my time when it came to dirt and I suspect some might argue in their favor. Is there anyone else out there that I am missing?

What do you think?

If you are talking about a 1 year stretch, Larson is definitely right up there. But I would like to at least mention Doug Wolfgang's amazing year in 1985. This was before my time, but he won 53 races that year, including 17 in a row, which also included the Knoxville Nationals. If not for his unfortunate accident in 1992, the sky was the limit.

If you are talking about a 1 year stretch, Larson is definitely right up there. But I would like to at least mention Doug Wolfgang's amazing year in 1985. This was before my time, but he won 53 races that year, including 17 in a row, which also included the Knoxville Nationals. If not for his unfortunate accident in 1992, the sky was the limit.

Impressive indeed. I just looked up his 1985 year with the WOO where he had 6 wins. It was certainly a top notch ride and run for him with Weikert in Central PA and beyond that year and the next.
This reminded me of when David Rogers won the NASCAR Winston Series National Championship (weekly short tracks) by winning 22 of 22 races at Volusia Speedway in the 80's.

Guess who just won^^^ Lucas Oil opener ^^^by 15.9 seconds? ^^^^Wasn't my guy...Harry Gant.^^^^

Absolutely ridiculous performance.

Esdso4zWMAEdVFt

Winning the Chili Bowl then going to late models here, etc, is why I find it hard to believe so many here think he is not the favorite to win the Cup Series Bristol dirt race. I've seen so many people saying they don't think he has an advantage because it will be different from other dirt cars. But he has shown so much versatility.

Absolutely ridiculous performance.

Esdso4zWMAEdVFt

One thing nobody touches on is that car. THAT team is the team that dominated the series just a few years ago with Davenport as the driver. Rumely has something that nobody else has figured out. So we have possibly the best driver with absolutely the best car. It should look easy.

I like Larson, but I am not a fan of him racing late models very much. It reminds me of another unnamed Damn driver. Stay up in the higher ranks of dirt.

I like Larson, but I am not a fan of him racing late models very much. It reminds me of another unnamed Damn driver. Stay up in the higher ranks of dirt.

There are two major ladders in dirt. Open wheel / sprint cars, and everything else: all of the heavier 2300+ lb and closer to full-bodied cars. At the top of the second tree are the national late model series. I'll always believe that sprint cars are the purest form of oval racing there is, but these late models aren't "lower ranks". Donny Schatz has been trying to accustom himself to late models for several years, and for the most part he can't run in the top ten when he runs a national show. After watching him race late models in AZ last week, he would have struggled to make the Lucas A-Main last night.

Last edited:
Terrifying. Guy is gonna murder the field

It's important to note that when Larson took the Rumley car to Charlotte with the WoO late models last October, he struggled and didn't have near the same success. On some tracks he is able to translate his innate unmatched talent, and some not so much with these cars that are foreign to him. The track he dominated last night is similar to Port Royal, where he won in his second late model start and won multiple major sprint car races last year.

There are two major ladders in dirt. Open wheel / sprint cars, and everything else: all of the heavier 2300+ lb and closer to full-bodied cars. At the top of the second tree are the national late model series. I'll always believe that sprint cars are the purest form of oval racing there is, but these late models aren't "lower ranks". Donny Schatz has been trying to accustom himself to late models for several years, and for the most part he can't run in the top ten when he runs a national show. After watching him race late models in AZ last week, he would have struggled to make the Lucas A-Main last night.
That is your opinion. Like I said I am not a fan..lets move on.

Back
Top Bottom