Ford to build electric F150

DanicaFreak

2021 Big Gator winner <Green Monster>
https://www.autotrader.ca/newsfeatu...t=Native-NF&utm_campaign=CA-DSP-DM-EN-CONTENT

If you thought pickup master Ford was just going to lie down in the face of an apparent onslaught of EV trucks from Rivian and Tesla, you thought incorrectly.

The Detroit Free Press is reporting that president of global markets Jim Farley confirmed at the Deutsche Bank Global Automotive Conference in Detroit that Ford will not only be releasing a hybrid F-150 in 2020, but has plans for a full-EV version, too.

https://www.autotrader.ca/newsfeatu...t=Native-NF&utm_campaign=CA-DSP-DM-EN-CONTENT

If you thought pickup master Ford was just going to lie down in the face of an apparent onslaught of EV trucks from Rivian and Tesla, you thought incorrectly.

The Detroit Free Press is reporting that president of global markets Jim Farley confirmed at the Deutsche Bank Global Automotive Conference in Detroit that Ford will not only be releasing a hybrid F-150 in 2020, but has plans for a full-EV version, too.
At least it should be able to haul the damn batteries.

At least it should be able to haul the damn batteries.

Electric has the advantage of instant torque. A hybrid truck if designed right could be 12 kinds of awesome

Electric for trucks makes a lot of sense. Electric motors make a lot of torque, and do it over a much wider rpm range than a petro fueled engine. Trucks are intended to move heavy loads, and torque is what they need to do it.

Yeah, battery range and charging times aren't where we'd like them to be... yet. And the technology is still expensive due to newness and little economy-of-scale... so far. But it has improved a lot within a relatively short time, and looks like it will continue to do so.

Tesla actually was the first American brand to talk about a future electric pickup offering, but Ford has been first to make a definite public commitment to hybrid and pure electric pickups. GM has mentioned it a few times but has been vague. Have not heard from Ram (Dodge). Then there are American start-ups like Rivian, but they appear to be underfunded concepts at this time.

It will be interesting to see how this all shakes out, and when...

FCA's newer rams feature something like a 60 HP electric motor on top of the engine I believe

Last edited by a moderator:
Call me when it can tow my 12,000lb 5er 600 miles/12 + hours to the beach without having to stop for a recharge.
Just curious, how big of a gas tank do you have to tow 12,000 pounds for 600 miles nonstop... and how much does that cost in gas or diesel?

Just curious, how big of a gas tank do you have to tow 12,000 pounds for 600 miles nonstop... and how much does that cost in gas or diesel?
Yeah, that was probably a mis-quote for dramatic effect. ;) There would most certainly be a 10 minute stop for a refueling/pee break in there. 34-gallon fuel tank and 7.5-gallon DEF tank. Average mileage is slightly over 10mpg when towing. 17mpg when not. Fuel prices vary greatly. We are currently @ $3.20/gal. Normally I am throwing about 28 gallons or so in it, so somewhere about the $90 range.

Check this out. I'm currently taking a CDL course. Stopped to fill the truck up for the first time and had to take a pic of this.

682db400ea135cd5f0488634454db0c8.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Cash or credit? :D
I wasn't the one pulling the trigger on that fuel stop. I'm going to guess credit as it's one of their approved fuel stations. The way it was explained to me is that they have accounts with various companies for their fuel. Apparently they can get quite the discount when the fill up at those locations. I don't know the details but I was told it's a big savings. Makes you wonder what the heck the markup is on these prices. Does me anyway.

If that were my fill-up, it definitely would have been credit.

Back
Top Bottom