Format changes for the Clash

I think the format changes in general plus the Mexico Series race being on FS1 are good moves. Fewer spots in the feature should make for more interesting qualifiers and a less messy feature. It is a bit disappointing to hear that the stands won’t be open for the practices and heats on Saturday though. Sure, the Coliseum is probably pretty expensive to open up for a day but it seems a bit counterintuitive to have all that track activity with no one there that day.

The stands aren’t open for the Clash for the Mexico Series race or Heat racing? Wow these are some cheap people.

No wonder ratings and attendance are what they are with these fools in charge.

Reactions: Pat
Uh the Heat Races + Mexico Series race is on Saturday.
Mexico Series race is on Sunday. Cup Practice + Heats are on Saturday.

Lots of people upset either way, especially about missing the heats. Thinking they were going to get the whole package and only getting one day.

Mexico Series race is on Sunday. Cup Practice + Heats are on Saturday.

Lots of people upset either way, especially about missing the heats. Thinking they were going to get the whole package and only getting one day.

Yep I was considering going but I won’t waste my time. I was also considering going to Iowa Speedway but they refuse to put in temporary seating so I won’t waste my time. I was also considering going to Indianapolis but with the plate package for Xfinity (and no IRP) I probably won’t waste my time. This is thousands of dollars they could have but I won’t waste my time with weird shortsighted decisions.

NASCAR is really full of themselves lately, ever notice how the ratings had a bit of an increased when they increase the HP?

I get concussions kinda suck, but they gotta grow, not slowly die off.

Moving the heat races from Sunday is also an incredibly stupid idea. They were a good warm up for the main show.
The tickets the first two years showed the A-main start time; I'm guessing many attendees missed the heats. I guess moving the heats to Saturday was easier than correcting the Sunday tix. I hope they consider the Mexico series race as part of the event. But at least they'll get the names of the musical acts right, and isn’t that what's important?

The heats are the only thing worth watching. There are too many cars in the main for a 1/4 mile track. It's more like enduro racing except they have cautions which happen way to often.

What’s that? We can’t sell out the coliseum? I know! Let’s take away part of the Sunday show and put a race with people nobody knows in its place.

What’s that? We can’t sell out the coliseum? I know! Let’s take away part of the Sunday show and put a race with people nobody knows in its place.
What are you talking about? It's going to be a double header with Nascar's Mexico series and the Cup series.

Who cares about the Mexico series? I would much rather watch the cup heat races.

I think the Mexico Series in the US is a great thing and I hope they try New Mexico or south Texas eventually.

I think the Heat Races not allowing spectators is a farce, lots of folks out of money or not satisfied with what they were told they were getting compared to years prior.

The heat races will take a very long time to run. Of course Nascar gets the blame. I think the TV doesn't want to allow that much air time for the heats. Nascar should at least allow spectators in to watch. So they both share some of the angst IMO. It is smart to have the heats on Saturday, plenty of damage to fix for Sunday.

Pretty sure it will be broadcast to Mexico and further south also. Probably Europe, Canada etc.

I think it's a way to expose the series to Mexican Americans in SoCal in order to open the door for the series to run short tracks in the area. It's weird NASCAR doomerism to say that this is a response to not selling out the Coliseum. If anything, it's taking advantage of high attendance at the Coliseum to expose the series to a wider local audience.

The heat races will take a very long time to run. Of course Nascar gets the blame. I think the TV doesn't want to allow that much air time for the heats. Nascar should at least allow spectators in to watch. So they both share some of the angst IMO. It is smart to have the heats on Saturday, plenty of damage to fix for Sunday.

I liked the one day show aspect of it. NASCAR is also running the risk that a popular driver misses the main show and that driver's fans being angry that they bought a ticket to see their favorite driver and now won't be able to do so. When tickets went on sale, fans didn't know that the heats were being run on a totally different day so they couldn't factor that risk into their decision.

I think it's a way to expose the series to Mexican Americans in SoCal in order to open the door for the series to run short tracks in the area. It's weird NASCAR doomerism to say that this is a response to not selling out the Coliseum. If anything, it's taking advantage of high attendance at the Coliseum to expose the series to a wider local audience.

I liked the one day show aspect of it. NASCAR is also running the risk that a popular driver misses the main show and that driver's fans being angry that they bought a ticket to see their favorite driver and now won't be able to do so. When tickets went on sale, fans didn't know that the heats were being run on a totally different day so they couldn't factor that risk into their decision.

It’s bad business for NASCAR to be limiting practice & limiting fans access to racing.

It’s bad business for NASCAR to be limiting practice & limiting fans access to racing.

The only way it makes sense if if the Coliseum is making the call, but that also makes no sense because I don't see why the Coliseum would care what NASCAR does with the venue while it is rented out. As long as NASCAR covers the cost, it should be fine.

Last year, they opened the venue on Saturday for fans to come in for free to watch practice and qualifying. This about face makes no sense.

It's a head-scratcher, regardless of whether the scheduling abd attendance decisions were the Coliseum's, NASCAR, or Fox's. If you're going to have the Big Boys run, why not sell tickets? Is there another event in the area that the Powers That Be think will reduce attendance to unprofitable levels?

The heats are in no way going to pull in any kind of a large crowd, I don't see why there isn't free admission myself. Concessions open and so are the Merch trailers.
Just a thought? Didn't they have to block off some streets? Maybe they couldn't get that handled for Saturday?

The heats are in no way going to pull in any kind of a large crowd,
Agreed. So it looks like it was Fox's call to move heats to Saturday to build the TV audience.

That still leaves the mystery of not selling tickets. I'll get Velma and Daphne and we'll look in that old barn for clues.

I don’t think anyone has a problem with the Heats on TV the day before or at least I don’t. I think the problem is fans & supporters like myself who were considering going, aren’t going to go because they won’t allow fans on Saturday.

I’m not gonna drive 8-12 hours to the closest race for a 1 day show.

The heats would pull in a larger tv audience than the Mexican league would.

The heats would pull in a larger tv audience than the Mexican league would.
That's why you move them to a separate day. Cup fans are going to watch on Sunday anyway. Splitting gets the Cup audience to tune in on two days instead of one, and boosts viewing of the Mex series by adding it to Sunday

I agree with Brett on most things including politics but he seems to think everyone has $500,000 lying around so he blocked me. Hard to take his snowflake opinion seriously.

Say you’re a casual fan of NASCAR and got pulled in by the stuff surrounding Bubba Wallace in 2020 and you have tickets for Sunday. Bubba doesn’t make the main and he’s all you care about. You’re screwed over. I bet there are quite a few of those fans in that area.

Say you’re a casual fan of NASCAR and got pulled in by the stuff surrounding Bubba Wallace in 2020 and you have tickets for Sunday. Bubba doesn’t make the main and he’s all you care about. You’re screwed over. I bet there are quite a few of those fans in that area.
Ya seem to have Wallace on the brain. I do get where you are coming from. It's tough you can't fly your stars and bars anymore.

Or if you’re a Mexican American and you bought a ticket to see Daniel Suarez.

This has the potential to blow up in NASCAR’s face.

If they lost heats on Sunday, Bubba annd Daniel still wouldn't be in the main. But I'm sure watching them lose that ten-lap heat will make you feel warm and fuzzy while you leave early and walk back to that expensive parking space. Hopefully they lost in the first heat so you didn't have to sit through the other three you didn't care about.

Me, I loved it when Gordon or Jr. were out early. You dedicated fans leaving early made it easier for the rest of us at the end of the race.

Back
Top Bottom