Formula E

Formula E is a new chapter in technology development.
Yeah. Something really put it in perspective for me a few years ago. The car website Jalopnik had clips from the Letterman show. He was talking to Tom Hanks about the Chevrolet Volt (Hanks is a big electric car guy) and Letterman was all unimpressed and negative on electric cars. Somebody in the comments said, "Letterman won't like electric cars until they're racing at Indianapolis."

And that's when it hit me. Fossil fuels are a finite resource, right? Like, we're basically pumping refined dinosaur blood into our gas tanks. It's going to run out eventually. We keep going deeper into the ocean to find it (BP oil spill). We use shale oil and frakking to get more of it, but it's eventually going to run out. And all cars (racing or otherwise) are going to be electric one day. So, that's why Formula E is kind of a neat thing. I think it is a neat proof of concept type thing now. They're a long way before these cars could even come close to replacing what is racing at Indianapolis and Monza but might as well might start now.

/off soapbox

The components to make a battery are also finite and the more exotic the battery the more rare the components. I don't believe the all-electric car is the way to go yet, I think gas/electric is more practical at this point. I'm glad they have the Formula E to develop the electric side.

One thing I hope comes out of Formula E is how long batteries last after being recharged x number of times (that's something not discussed by the electric car enthusiasts).

When it gets to the point that all that is left is solar, wind, and hydro, there will never be enough electric power to go round. Having experienced drivers through most of the field makes for good racing. But I wonder if the racing will be as entertaining with drivers with less experience, and a bigger difference of talent.

When it gets to the point that all that is left is solar, wind, and hydro, there will never be enough electric power to go round.

Snpp-1-.gif

Reactions: Zyr
Street spec racing is actually really awesome. I wouldn't mind this series staying spec for awhile.

They get a penalty if their battery power reaches 0%? What a stupid rule. Formula E is really lame.

Back
Top Bottom