Get over it

Great article and so very true. Don't pine for the past it wasn't all that good except for the girls. Look at things that will improve racing under what it is today. Cautions really bother you, just think of how much more green flag racing there would be if cars could only pit under green. Sure some guys would have their day ruined but so what, why do we need extra long yellows so some cars can fix their stuff?

Ah another article from McGee ( He's written these in the past, just cant nor have the time to find them) that is pretty much get over it, take it/or leave it, move on from the past. I am only 32, so I'm not that old, I grew up watching NASCAR in the late 80's but mostly remember the early 90's and so on. The type of attitude this article states is why fans are leaving in droves, someone earlier posted #11 fans arnt coming back... isnt that the truth? Call me a moron, out of touch or a "special friend" but I'll take my chances with a Cup Series that has Wilkesboro ( okay I get its run down but in my perfect world its refurbished by a track owner with gobs of money who is stuck in the past like I am) , Rockingham and Nashville Fairgrounds on the schedule along with a full season points championship that has a Winston Million concept with racing back to the caution over the crap schedule, points system (especially the crap points system) cars, tracks and rules NASCAR has now. The only reason I havent checked out after Jeff Gordon retired is this awesome youth movement they have going now but man seeing articles like this is such troll bait. and I was baited...

I hope this guy never goes into customer service or he will bankrupt the company in a week.
Just thinking the same EXACT thing, I am in sales myself. I sell Automotive Tools. If I dont listen to what my customers want, I'd be out of business. I am 4 years into doing this and thats the one lesson the older fellows in my region tell me " Listen to what your customers need." I mean its clear the fans are speaking with attendance, they dont like the direction NASCAR has taken. I hate articles like this that dont delve into that and instead choose to treat us with the intelligence level of a country bumpkin.

I'm pretty sure I don't need to click on this.
Here are the headings for the paragraphs

1. Sorry, but debris cautions aren't going away
2. Sorry, but the Chase/Playoff/Whatever you want to call the championship format, isn't going away, either
3. Sorry, but aero-matching or pack racing or any of that is gone ...
4. Toyota isn't going away, either
5. Sorry, TV ratings and attendance are never going back to 2003
6. Sorry, but qualifying is never going back to being a big-ticket item
7. Sorry, but North Wilkesboro Speedway isn't returning to the schedule
8. Sorry, but they're never going to race back to the yellow flag ever again
9. Sorry, but Dale Earnhardt isn't coming back
10. Sorry, but also on the not coming back list: Yarborough, Rusty Wallace, Mark Martin, Jeff Gordon, Tony Stewart, or Carl Edwards (ok, maybe Edwards)

Reactions: Pat
That article is pretty redundant.

Just thinking the same EXACT thing, I am in sales myself. I sell Automotive Tools. If I dont listen to what my customers want, I'd be out of business. I am 4 years into doing this and thats the one lesson the older fellows in my region tell me " Listen to what your customers need." I mean its clear the fans are speaking with attendance, they dont like the direction NASCAR has taken. I hate articles like this that dont delve into that and instead choose to treat us with the intelligence level of a country bumpkin.

Well said.

Here are the headings for the paragraphs

1. Sorry, but debris cautions aren't going away
2. Sorry, but the Chase/Playoff/Whatever you want to call the championship format, isn't going away, either
3. Sorry, but aero-matching or pack racing or any of that is gone ...
4. Toyota isn't going away, either
5. Sorry, TV ratings and attendance are never going back to 2003
6. Sorry, but qualifying is never going back to being a big-ticket item
7. Sorry, but North Wilkesboro Speedway isn't returning to the schedule
8. Sorry, but they're never going to race back to the yellow flag ever again
9. Sorry, but Dale Earnhardt isn't coming back
10. Sorry, but also on the not coming back list: Yarborough, Rusty Wallace, Mark Martin, Jeff Gordon, Tony Stewart, or Carl Edwards (ok, maybe Edwards)

Thanks for condensing the list.

1. I don't recall people being upset when a caution is called for a legitimate reason. Were people even mad about the garbage bag at MIS?

4. It has been 9-10 years since I have heard anyone complain about Toy.

5. At this point Nascar would be happy if TV ratings went back to 2013

6. Who cares about qualifying? Why watch something when being the fastest doesn't guarantee you the pole?

Best thing about that article - this photo:

i

He's completely wrong about aero changes not improving the passing, btw. And also by mocking single car runs for qualifying.

i

He's completely wrong about aero changes not improving the passing, btw. And also by mocking single car runs for qualifying.

I think you might have missed what he meant. There are some fans who you will never satisfy with how many passes there are in a race. He is saying that the racing is so close now and the passing is going to be hard (mostly restarts) and it is even with all the changes they have made.

i

Brian France will tell you that the racing has never been better than it is today and we have a few revisionists that try and tell us how bad things were in the 80's and 90's even though they likely never watched then. I think it is fair to say that the more Nascar thinks it does to improve the racing the less people watch.

I think you might have missed what he meant. There are some fans who you will never satisfy with how many passes there are in a race. He is saying that the racing is so close now and the passing is going to be hard (mostly restarts) and it is even with all the changes they have made.
He thinks that no amount of aero tinkering will make for more passing because of how even everything is made from the cars, equipment, engineering, deeply talented field, etc.

That's not correct imo. If they make the aero changes we've all beaten to death on this board, you'll no doubt see the cream rise to the top. The drivers will have to man handle loose race cars all day, and corner speeds will drop...you tellin me passing won't increase?

He thinks that no amount of aero tinkering will make for more passing because of how even everything is made from the cars, equipment, engineering, deeply talented field, etc.

That's not correct imo. If they make the aero changes we've all beaten to death on this board, you'll no doubt see the cream rise to the top. The drivers will have to man handle loose race cars all day, and corner speeds will drop...you tellin me passing won't increase?

The article is click bait so accuracy is not at a premium.

I agree 100% with Ryan and have to say this is why I've never followed the sport so closely as I do now. The racing rn is as good as ever, a great bunch of young drivers while still having the best of the 2000s still competing and doing well. It's made for some seriously good racing

there is no guarantee it will, almost all of the passing are happening during restarts. Michigan was a one lane restart track..yeah we all like the harder to drive cars, what we don't like is Truex last year in Charlotte (unless you are a Toyota Truex fan) running away and hiding from the field. If he did that three times in a row there would be a posse lynch mob after him

I agree 100% with Ryan and have to say this is why I've never followed the sport so closely as I do now. The racing rn is as good as ever, a great bunch of young drivers while still having the best of the 2000s still competing and doing well. It's made for some seriously good racing
yeah I believe that is the spirit of #8. if you want a lot of passing let a few of them get illegal and then watch them come op thru the field and then lap the others over and over...passing.:confused:

You mean they can't resuscitate Dale Earnhardt, Sr. from the dead?! The hell you say McGee!!!
Earnhardt to the Booth!!

how about know who your customer IS/ARE. The ones paying the bills. Nascar has customers to satisfy from many different directions. They all want their day. It ain't ever going to satisfy everybody, not going to happen..that is what the article is pointing out. :confused:

There are some things that obviously can never go back, physics or hard constraints have some non negotiable realities.

But not all 10 meet that criteria. Some of them are simply foolish choices or policies.
I was an Earnhardt fan too, but a lot of foks hated him in the day too. Expecting the fans to be happy campers like they were in the day os a misconception too.

It ain't ever going to satisfy everybody,
Bingo! If there's 100K fans in the stands, you'll have that many opinions about what needs to "fixed" to make the
racing better. At no time will every fan be satisfied/happy with the racing.

Just look at this forum. At no time is everyone in agreement. Some feel that the racing is good. Some feel the racing
could be better if only (fill in the blank) happened. Some like to overwhelm us with their "superior knowledge" and talk
as if we're idiots for just being fans. Some think the racing sucks and will not watch a race, but come here and beat
us over the head for being fools for watching.

The writer DOES have a point --- those items are NEVER coming back. OK. So be it. Those of you who get your panties
in a wad about it, just let us enjoy what we have, while we still have it --- warts and all. Yes, we know it's changed and we make
not like the changes, but WE don't make the rules. NASCAR is my chosen sport and I'll watch the races until my fingers are
no longer capable of holding the remote ---

Now, I'm not pointing any fingers, or naming any names. If you chose to see yourself in anything I've said, so be it. These are
my opinions and pertain to no one in particular. So please don't get offended.

how about know who your customer IS/ARE. The ones paying the bills. Nascar has customers to satisfy from many different directions. They all want their day. It ain't ever going to satisfy everybody, not going to happen..that is what the article is pointing out. :confused:
I don't think there are as many customers as before all these changes starting taking place. That's what I'm pointing out.

Bingo! If there's 100K fans in the stands, you'll have that many opinions about what needs to "fixed" to make the

Just look at this forum. At no time is everyone in agreement. Some feel that the racing is good. Some feel the racing
could be better if only (fill in the blank) happened. Some like to overwhelm us with their "superior knowledge" and talk
as if we're idiots for just being fans. Some think the racing sucks and will not watch a race, but come here and beat

The writer DOES have a point --- those items are NEVER coming back. OK. So be it. Those of you who get your panties
in a wad about it, just let us enjoy what we have, while we still have it --- warts and all. Yes, we know it's changed and we make
not like the changes, but WE don't make the rules. NASCAR is my chosen sport and I'll watch the races until my fingers are

Now, I'm not pointing any fingers, or naming any names. If you chose to see yourself in anything I've said, so be it. These are
Well said. I love racing, NASCAR in particular. I don't like what the product itself has become, but at the end of the day it's still racing.

There are some things that obviously can never go back, physics or hard constraints have some non negotiable realities.

But not all 10 meet that criteria. Some of them are simply foolish choices or policies.
I was an Earnhardt fan too, but a lot of foks hated him in the day too. Expecting the fans to be happy campers like they were in the day os a misconception too.
They hated him around 86-94 right, particularly in the year he won 11 races? He didn't really start to get liked until Petty retired and Gordon won his Cup in 1995

That is funny..in the best way.:D

They hated him around 86-94 right, particularly in the year he won 11 races? He didn't really start to get liked until Petty retired and Gordon won his Cup in 1995

Aside from the 1998 daytona 500 win, there were plenty of haters. His death just muzzled most of it.

people dont have to get in a wad over the wad-ers eiter.

Back
Top Bottom