Goodyear Tire Appreciation Thread

Revman

Denny beat your favorite driver....again!
I like Greg Stucker....and Leo Mehl before him. They take so much ****. I get that this is an engineering exercise for them. If they can manipulate tire wear and construction, there is certainly trickle down to the consumer side. Having said that, if they are blasted in the media, I wonder where the profit/loss is.....They do a hell of a job IMO.

I hate Goodyear tires. Their racing tires are okay, but that's the one brand of "quality" (lol) tire I will never put on any of my vehicles willingly.

I've had so many of those pieces of **** blow out on me.

Reactions: sdj
Did anyone ever confirm whether the tire was made differently than the one for the fall race or was it the same tire? TV didn't get it straight.

NASCAR fans have been begging for a softer tire for years. We finally got it at Bristol (maybe TOO soft, however) and the racing was incredible. Imagine that.

I agree 100% Hopefully the Goodyear engineers can make tires similar to this for the other tracks. Well maybe not quite as much fall off but I won’t complain even if that stays the same.

NASCAR fans have been begging for a softer tire for years. We finally got it at Bristol (maybe TOO soft, however) and the racing was incredible. Imagine that.

Certain drivers can’t avoid driving balls to the wall every lap so they complain and get their fans to complain.

Give me more of this. These cars and tires have become too durable. I want to see guys actually have to manage their equipment.

Doubt we will see this again lol.
1710862856933.jpeg

I am glad that Goodyear supplies tires to Nascar and I will consider the brand for being so loyal. They deserve a lot of credit for supporting the cup races for so many years.

But I don't compare race tires to steet tires for the every day consumer, they are two different animals. Making a good or bad race tire isn't going to effect my decision making on my next purchase. It probably will for some but not so much for me.

I think what most of us are looking for are tires that just get really slow, not fall apart. If the tires are going to fall apart, it pretty much takes the option of staying out on old tires and conserve out of the equation. As good as the JGR cars were, even they were only going a handful of more laps than those that "missed" it. If they hadn't got that long green at the end, their advantage might have been totally eliminated. The Hoosiers we used in ARCA would get PAINFULLY slow, but they never came apart unless your set up was WAY off.

I am glad that Goodyear supplies tires to Nascar and I will consider the brand for being so loyal. They deserve a lot of credit for supporting the cup races for so many years.

But I don't compare race tires to steet tires for the every day consumer, they are two different animals. Making a good or bad race tire isn't going to effect my decision making on my next purchase. It probably will for some but not so much for me.
Goodyears are expensive, but I have had really good luck and wear out of them. I have a set on my Van, and I had a pair for steer tires on my semi and got 100 thou out of them. Most of my drive is high speed and the Goodyears balance out nice and smooth.

I've bought several brands over the years, and never had a bad set of tires EXCEPT for the Coopers on my '89 pickup. Absolute 100% garbage, and I'll never give them a dime of my money ever again. Dryrot, wavy sidewalls, tread separation, terrible wet traction, you name it. All within the first two years. They fail in every aspect.....

20230413-113151.jpg

20230413-113238.jpg

0912201204-1080x1440.jpg

Actually I had Coopers on my Buick many years ago, and they were trash too. I should have learned my lesson the first time....

20170411-193030.jpg

I like Greg Stucker....and Leo Mehl before him. They take so much ****. I get that this is an engineering exercise for them. If they can manipulate tire wear and construction, there is certainly trickle down to the consumer side. Having said that, if they are blasted in the media, I wonder where the profit/loss is.....They do a hell of a job IMO.
I'm glad NASCAR doesn’t require using multiple compounds per race.

I tend to go with Pirelli on my Corolla. The truck, it don't matter because they'll have to be replaced due to dry rot before they actually get worn out since I don't even drive 1,000 miles a year on it.

I've bought several brands over the years, and never had a bad set of tires EXCEPT for the Coopers on my '89 pickup. Absolute 100% garbage, and I'll never give them a dime of my money ever again. Dryrot, wavy sidewalls, tread separation, terrible wet traction, you name it. All within the first two years. They fail in every aspect.....

20230413-113151.jpg

20230413-113238.jpg

0912201204-1080x1440.jpg
This was my last set of Goodyears. Just complete and utter junk.

They said it was the same code and the same specs as September's race, but a different production line. That could be the problem. Or it could be the rubber itself. In dirt late model racing, teams have been complaining the Hoosier tires aren't as good and aren't lasting as long. Goodyear could be seeing the same problem.

When a tire doesn't put down rubber on the track, it's usually because it's cold. It was not cold in Bristol. I think it's a combination of something with the rubber itself and teams being super aggressive with their setups.

… I think it's a combination of something with the rubber itself and teams being super aggressive with their setups.
Agree. Slip angle and other tire dynamics explained:

“To fully understand tyre dynamics, the first thing you need to get your head round is slip angle. This is defined as the angle (degrees) formed between the actual direction of travel of the wheel and the ‘pointing’ direction of the wheel (perpendicular to the axis of rotation). There is always an angle between the two when a lateral acceleration is experienced by a racecar.”

I thought it was all a cause of the different type of KoKohler syrup they used on the bottom groove.

It wouldn't take the
rubber and just created to many rubber balls for them to work in the alternate higher grooves.

The sad part is that they will probably never be able to recreate this, unfortunately a one and done, imo.

Back
Top Bottom