Great Clips exercise option to end Kasey Kahne contract early

I feel bad for Kasey Kahne. The dude has all the talent in the world. Things just havent panned out at Hendrick like everyone thought. A fresh start would benefit everyone. However, that 5 car is a slug at the moment. They unload slow, and continue to run slow during the race. Same thing with the 88 right now. Doesn't matter who the driver is if the race car is a ****box. CC and engineering changes need to drop alongside the driver changes, or else the Hendrick guys are just spinning their wheels.

The sponsorship thing isn't anyone's fault. There are far more competitive drivers than Kasey losing sponsors. Just the state of NASCAR at the moment.
THREAD WINNER!

I sincerely doubt Menard goes to HMS. Yes, they currently have a weird situation with Farmers on the 5 and Nationwide on the 88 that they work with, but I sincerely doubt HMS and Lowe's would welcome a competing home improvement retailer to join the stable. Even in a sport desparate for sponsorship, I don't see that happening under any circumstances.

It doesn't matter if HMS is contractually bound to KK or not as if they don't feel like having him as an employee of the corporation anymore he is as good as gone. There are all sorts of clauses in contracts such as moral, performance and a means of the contract being bought out based on pre-determined figures. Forget about the contract people as it mean ZILCH in terms of KK's continued employment with HMS.

Lowe's has been the only sponsor on the HMS 48 car. Ever.

Something tells me they wouldn't be happy to see Menards on another Hendrick car. Would Hendrick risk upsetting their relationship just to bring in Paul freakin Menard for a year or two? I don't think Rick is that desperate or stupid.

we don't know quite what the deal was with sadler and them trying to release him. We do know he is great with sponsors so perhaps he had that leverage behind him too. so far the 5 car is missing 22 races of sponsorship for next year, that we know of. The only time I see an owner run a car out of their pocket is when they actually like and want to keep the driver. ALA matt kenseth and his last year at roush. jack ran the car half the season without sponsorship. well meaningful sponsorship, putting ecoboost on the car at the last minute doesn't count. I think sponsors leaving is how Rick gets out of his contract with KK. This is really a crossroads year for even the big teams. You have SHR with their sponsorship deal turning into a nightmare, Clint and danica don't have that great of deals. IMO its been effecting their performance on the track too. HMS has some decisions to make. one has to wonder what nationwide thinks with dale jr leaving. KK is missing sponsorship for most of next year. next is lowes and napa. We don't know much about napa but We do know they were getting a very good price to run martin truex at MWR. I suspect napa made at least as good of a deal this time with HMS

I sincerely doubt Menard goes to HMS. Yes, they currently have a weird situation with Farmers on the 5 and Nationwide on the 88 that they work with, but I sincerely doubt HMS and Lowe's would welcome a competing home improvement retailer to join the stable. Even in a sport desparate for sponsorship, I don't see that happening under any circumstances.
total speculation on my part, but the board seems to think Paul Menard is leaving RCR? What if Kahne went to RCR to to Replace Menard and they kept Ty in the 13 until Newman is done? I would think Kahne could do pretty well at RCR. Kahne to the 27....

It doesn't matter if HMS is contractually bound to KK or not as if they don't feel like having him as an employee of the corporation anymore he is as good as gone. There are all sorts of clauses in contracts such as moral, performance and a means of the contract being bought out based on pre-determined figures. Forget about the contract people as it mean ZILCH in terms of KK's continued employment with HMS.

Maybe - but there certainly isn't any reason to think that Kasey has violated any moral or behavior clause. We don't know what performance clauses might be in there (if there even are any) - and then yes, there might be a buy-out. We don't know but if there is, that simply becomes a question of whether it's more valuable to buy him out and get someone else it, or is it better to let him finish the contract. That really all depends on what the options are, what the number is, what the sponsorship situation is, etc.

Unless HMS has an easy out (for instance if the contract gives them an option to end if he doesn't finish in the top 15 or 20 or whatever), then the contract does matter. It's part of the consideration for HMS. I don't think it's as easy as just breaching the contract by releasing him. As far as I can tell, that hasn't been done in Nascar by a team that intends to continue running and on other performance or behavior factors are in play.

I feel bad for Kasey Kahne. The dude has all the talent in the world. Things just havent panned out at Hendrick like everyone thought. A fresh start would benefit everyone. However, that 5 car is a slug at the moment. They unload slow, and continue to run slow during the race. Same thing with the 88 right now. Doesn't matter who the driver is if the race car is a ****box. CC and engineering changes need to drop alongside the driver changes, or else the Hendrick guys are just spinning their wheels.

The sponsorship thing isn't anyone's fault. There are far more competitive drivers than Kasey losing sponsors. Just the state of NASCAR at the moment.

hmmm wonder how last year Bowman drove the wheels off of the 88..accident I guess.

Personally I'd rather see them cut down to 3 cars than place a journeyman/stopgap or some unproven name in the car. I think HMS would benefit greatly by doing so.

But, it is a great way to keep a team in shape. j/s

Wow.

Reckon Patrick's off limits for good when one can't quote her.

Nice to have fans in high places.

No need to feel guilty, I totally understand.

I'll help you with others that drift off topic.

Kasey might be one of the MOST underwhelming drivers ever

It's interesting to me that Kahne gets a lot of hype as a "good driver" but yet only has 3 top 10 points finishes in his career. I've always perceived him to be better than that.

I feel like Kahne is a guy who people ALWAYS felt was due to break out at any moment and become a championship caliber driver. It just never happened.

It's really puzzling. Kahne has 17 wins but he always struggled with being consistent. I thought for sure he would win a championship once he joined Hendrick.

Both Kasey's Mears and Kahne, have had long careers as wheel holders and good PR men. That's about it as far as I am concerned. Like I said, I have only seen him race hard one race in many years and that was a truck race going head to head with Christopher Bell.

It's amazing and a little sad how far Kasey Kahne has fallen.

When I first started watching NASCAR, Kasey was a popular driver who usually finished towards the front.

You can't really compare Kasey Kahne to Casey Mears. Kahne has 17 wins and Mears has only 1 win, which came at a restrictor plate track.

Back
Top Bottom