Greatest drivers

I don't think a LOT of people realize just how great Pearson was. 105 wins and 89 runner-ups in only 574 starts, wins in 17 consecutive seasons, won the championship every time he ran the full schedule, 113 poles, a winning record VS Petty head to head. Probably better than Petty, although it's not very popular to say that out loud.

I consider Pearson to be the GOAT but that probably is not a popular opinion.

what would be interesting is to ask a driver to rank the drivers. I think the best person I could think of that could do this is DW, he raced with pearson and petty, earnhardt, yarborough, even jeff gordon. I think most people don't realize that many of these drivers had significant equipment advantages at different times in their career. DW would probably be aware of what was CAR and what was driver. These guys raced each other and know better than anyone else how good these guys really are or if it was just equipment that was far superior

what would be interesting is to ask a driver to rank the drivers. I think the best person I could think of that could do this is DW, he raced with pearson and petty, earnhardt, yarborough, even jeff gordon. I think most people don't realize that many of these drivers had significant equipment advantages at different times in their career. DW would probably be aware of what was CAR and what was driver. These guys raced each other and know better than anyone else how good these guys really are or if it was just equipment that was far superior

Bobby Isaac is probably the most underrated driver in history as he gets a ringing endorsement from Pearson and that is high praise indeed. I think DW the driver is a great choice to list some of the best but DW the announcer would be horrible at it if that makes sense.

Fireball Roberts
David Pearson
Bobby Allison
Dick Trickle
Alan Kulwicki
Tim Richmond
Richard Petty
Cale Yarborough
Dave Marcis
AJ Foyt

No particular order as some of them had mitigating circumstances that did not allow for equal comparisons....But all had the ability to build what they raced, and race what they built. Have respect for JJ in that I actually saw him laying under an ASA car in Sussex, Wi the year before he raced in Busch....did not pick any current drivers, because...1. the jury is still out on them, they could still do some retarded thing...and 2. Most do not have any dirt on their hands.

So hard to compare with the different eras. Competition is so much closer today.
Richard Petty won 10 races in a row once. He also won 27 races in one season. Nowhere near the competition that we have today.
Very true but none of those guys had 300 to 500 people in a shop with a micrometer checking every part. I think Dale Sr. did the most with a lot less than what others had. I think if he raced head to head with JJ and had the same equipment there would be no catching him. Jeff Gordon came the closest but even he had the advantage of youth and HMS equipment. We know Jeff's team cheated up his cars in the beginning.
So I nominate Dale Earnhardt Sr. for best Nascar driver.

Richard Petty is on Pole, for now.
Dale Earnhardt is also on the front row.
Jimmie is still qualifying for the Pole.

They all have the hardware to be THE TOP THREE.

The rest of the field of 40 goes by Cup Championships -- win and you're in. Then other notables like Mark Martin...

KyBu's asterisk is an encumbered Cup Chumpionship.

Very true but none of those guys had 300 to 500 people in a shop with a micrometer checking every part. I think Dale Sr. did the most with a lot less than what others had. I think if he raced head to head with JJ and had the same equipment there would be no catching him. Jeff Gordon came the closest but even he had the advantage of youth and HMS equipment. We know Jeff's team cheated up his cars in the beginning.
So I nominate Dale Earnhardt Sr. for best Nascar driver.

Nothing against Dale Sr., he was a hard, if not the hardest racer there was when it came to winning at all costs. But he did have the best equipment of the day, other than Osterlund (which did purchase the best equipment, but the team as a whole relied on multitasking drivers) the teams he was with were top notch. Jeff Gordon was a wheel holder...right from the time he strapped into a go kart, he even admitted that if he had to set up the car himself, he would be lucky to qualify for a bonus heat in a bull ring. I would put both Dale Sr and JJ as pretty much toe to toe when it comes to a combination of mechanical ability with driving ability...the difference I see is that JJ has the ability to finesse a car whereas Dale Sr. was all out, 90% of the time. Hence his action against Labonte when Dale Sr. was asked why he spun him, Dale answered..."because he was faster than I was".

Dale Sr. once said that the only way he would win on a road course was by luck...JJ and Jeff Gordon did not have that same perspective.

But...Dale could make an ill handling car competitive just by man handling it...do not believe either JJ or Jeffy had that ability.

1. Johnson
2. Earnhardt, Sr.
3. Gordon
4. Stewart
5. Pearson
6. B. Allison
7. D. Waltrip
8. R. Wallace
9. C. Yarborough
10. R. Petty

Who knows? Give it another decade and I bet this list will be shook up. :D

OVERALL MOTORSPORTS TOP TEN
1. Michael Schumacher
2. Ayrton Senna
3. Alain Prost
4. Juan Manuel Fangio
5. Lewis Hamilton
6. Mika Hakkinen
7. Kimi Raikkonen (hehe, he is #7)
8. Sebastian Vettel
9. Will Power
10. Jason Plato

Personally, I don't like #5 and #10, indifferent with #9, but at the end, of the day, they are all glorious drivers in their respective series.

Pearson
Johnson
Gordon
Allison
Waltrip
Martin
Earnhardt
Petty
Stewart
Herb Thomas/Wendell Scott

I really can't rank the older drivers as I'm really not familiar with them. But I figure Thomas has to be there with a winning percentage of over 20%.

And with everything Wendell Scott had going against him including the sanctioning body, a**hole drivers, officials, and even fans that he HAS to be one of the most determined and toughest drivers ever. To actually win a race is astounding. No telling how he would have fared with equal equipment and opportunity. JMO.

Those who listed drivers from other series are leaving off John Force? He's the most dominant driver ever in his respective series.
I think I would would go with Big Daddy for drag racing. He once crossed the finish line upside down, backwards, and on fire. I think he won that race, but I might be mistaken.

Can't come up with an all time list bc I started watching in 2009.. but I can say I would have Jimmie Johnson at the top. Obviously Petty and Dale following.. then Kyle Busch.. after them in no particular order (from what I've SEEN) Logano Larson Harvick Stewart Kenseth and Edwards

There really isn't any "all time greatest" Each driver raced in an era and he may have been the best of that era. But each era also has the comers and goers so who is to say?
Could the young Richard Petty with his crew have competed against the #48 team during their best years. Could Dale E. been as successful if he was young at the same time.
Could Kyle Bush have been successful had he had to race a young JG or even Dale SR?
All we can say is that a specific team was the better in a short time span.

If you don't have Pearson number 1 I can't take your list seriously. Even Kyle Petty has said Pearson was just as good or better than the King. Imagine if he had run full time every season. He would easily have as many wins as Petty.

Cherry picking always makes your record look great but in his case I do wonder.

Pearson
Johnson
Gordon
Allison
Waltrip
Martin
Earnhardt
Petty
Stewart

I really can't rank the older drivers as I'm really not familiar with them. But I figure Thomas has to be there with a winning percentage of over 20%.

And with everything Wendell Scott had going against him including the sanctioning body, ******* drivers, officials, and even fans that he HAS to be one of the most determined and toughest drivers ever. To actually win a race is astounding. No telling how he would have fared with equal equipment and opportunity. JMO.
I like your last line..... I had thought about putting Wendell in there...... He hung in like a hair in a biscuit even though he knew he didn't have a prayers chance ....... He had to be scored 110 percent for determination...... I haven't made a list .... because I don't think there is any 1 driver ...... or even top 10 drivers that were the best.... each had .......or have their own niche...... If I had to pick just 1... I'd say Pearson.....

Pearson
Johnson
Gordon
Allison
Waltrip
Martin
Earnhardt
Petty
Stewart

And with everything Wendell Scott had going against him including the sanctioning body, ******* drivers, officials, and even fans that he HAS to be one of the most determined and toughest drivers ever. To actually win a race is astounding. No telling how he would have fared with equal equipment and opportunity. JMO.

Herb Thomas! Interesting mention. Yes, with that winning percentage, there's no counting him out unless you're ignorant. He's like the Fangio of NASCAR.

Like ky said, you including Wendell is a very nice gesture and certainly shines light on a new perspective that really just had not occurred to me when I made my list. The man had courage and perseverance like no other to keep on going and to even win a race. Honestly, the fact that he only got one win seems like a bit of an insult to his talent, but he sure earned it, didn't he?!

Herb Thomas! Interesting mention. Yes, with that winning percentage, there's no counting him out unless you're ignorant. He's like the Fangio of NASCAR.

Like ky said, you including Wendell is a very nice gesture and certainly shines light on a new perspective that really just had not occurred to me when I made my list. The man had courage and perseverance like no other to keep on going and to even win a race. Honestly, the fact that he only got one win seems like a bit of an insult to his talent, but he sure earned it, didn't he?!

Yeah. I always support an underdog and he definitely epitomized one. What he went through and what he put up with I have to admire him. I also admire Ned Jarrett as I've always heard he treated Wendell with respect and when other didn't. I wish Mr Scott could have been alive to see himself inducted into the HOF. Man finally gets the respect he earned after he is gone.

Can't come up with an all time list bc I started watching in 2009.. but I can say I would have Jimmie Johnson at the top. Obviously Petty and Dale following.. then Kyle Busch.. after them in no particular order (from what I've SEEN) Logano Larson Harvick Stewart Kenseth and Edwards

Tony Stewart was the second best driver since 2002. He was clearly number 2 to Jimmie. Edwards was the next best, and better than KB until roush went on a downward spiral.

I still firmly believe Carl was as good as anyone not named Jimmie Johnson or Tony Stewart since 2005.

He's been in 3 legitimate title hunts from 2005-2016. Who else has been in 3 title hunts besides JJ and Stewart during thosr 10 years aside from Harvick?

Had Carl closed out 08, or had Bob Osbourne not cost them the Phoenix chase race in 2011 by pitting late, he would have won that title too. I think people would have ranked Carl quite a bit higher than we do.

Easily the most underrated star of the last decade. Dont forget, he's 2 for 2 both times he's raced Kyle for wins..both of those races Kyle had the dominant car, and a late lead..Carl could drive as good as anyone out there. He's already the best to never win a title

37th Place:

***Chump with a Bump***

IMG_2129.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Tony Stewart was the second best driver since 2002. He was clearly number 2 to Jimmie. Edwards was the next best, and better than KB until roush went on a downward spiral.

I still firmly believe Carl was as good as anyone not named Jimmie Johnson or Tony Stewart since 2005.

He's been in 3 legitimate title hunts from 2005-2016. Who else has been in 3 title hunts besides JJ and Stewart during thosr 10 years aside from Harvick?

Had Carl closed out 08, or had Bob Osbourne not cost them the Phoenix chase race in 2011 by pitting late, he would have won that title too. I think people would have ranked Carl quite a bit higher than we do.

Easily the most underrated star of the last decade. Dont forget, he's 2 for 2 both times he's raced Kyle for wins..both of those races Kyle had the dominant car, and a late lead..Carl could drive as good as anyone out there. He's already the best to never win a title
I agree with most everything you said....... and he has always been a favorite of mine.... but..... I still think Mark Martin was the best to never win a title..... Carl.... when he tied Tony for points and Tony won because of the wins.... that was a hard pill to take for me...... had Carl finished just 1 damned position ahead of Tony in any of the last 10 races...... he would have won the Championship...... it wasn't to be and I am sure it still wore on Carl second guessing what he could have done better..... 1 lousy position over 10 races......... Tony deserved it because he ran like crap all the regular season ...... then came on like a banshee the last 10....... but.... 1 lousy point!!!!! I really felt for Carl...... and he handled it in the most professional way....... I gained even more respect for him after that...... I totally respect him for stepping away when he did this winter.... He knew what he wanted to do and wasn't at all mealey mouthed about it......

I agree with most everything you said....... and he has always been a favorite of mine.... but..... I still think Mark Martin was the best to never win a title..... Carl.... when he tied Tony for points and Tony won because of the wins.... that was a hard pill to take for me...... had Carl finished just 1 damned position ahead of Tony in any of the last 10 races...... he would have won the Championship...... it wasn't to be and I am sure it still wore on Carl second guessing what he could have done better..... 1 lousy position over 10 races......... Tony deserved it because he ran like crap all the regular season ...... then came on like a banshee the last 10....... but.... 1 lousy point!!!!! I really felt for Carl...... and he handled it in the most professional way....... I gained even more respect for him after that...... I totally respect him for stepping away when he did this winter.... He knew what he wanted to do and wasn't at all mealey mouthed about it......

Yeah, it would have been nice to see him win. There was a point in his career when he had more wins than KB and Kevin Harvick.

2011-2014 really hurt him. 2016 he was looking more like the 2005-2011 Carl, so I was looking forward to this season. Given the speed the 77 and 18 have he definitely would have won a race or two by now and been in contention again.

I know Mark sticks out like a sore thumb on my list BUT if Earnhardt and Gordon make it, he has to be there and this is my reason why....IROC. He won what, 5 titles in IROC? Head to head with Earnhardt he won most of the time. Take the team and car advantages out and he was as good as them, or better. Heck, JG won one race and no titles because he quit running it. I think he did because it was basically exposing the fact huge part of his success was his team (not unlike anyone else).

But head to head in stock cars with no team, manufacturer politicking, engine, or crew chief strategy he beat everyone most of the time consistently. That can't be ignored.

I just came across this picture while cleaning up some thing today while it is raining. While Jimmy was not a front of the pack driver he was there every week on a limited budget.

img046.jpg

I just came across this picture while cleaning up some thing today while it is raining. While Jimmy was not a front of the pack driver he was there every week on a limited budget.

View attachment 29023

Jimmy Means! Always thought he probably used a lot of the product he endorses. True Lone Ranger.

Back
Top Bottom