Greatest?

Discussion in 'Polls' started by Rockears001, Nov 22, 2013.

?

Greatest Driver of the three?

Poll closed Dec 6, 2013.
  1. Dale Earnhardt

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. Richard Petty

4 vote(s)
    66.7%
  3. Jimmie Johnson

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Rockears001

Rockears001 Team Owner

Who do you think is the best of these three?

2. Johali

Johali Team Owner Contributor

Jeff Gordon.

blanston, ChexOrWrex and DUN24 like this.
  3. Greg

Greg 2014 RF YAHOO CHAMP Your leader

If David Pearson was one of the choices, I think the best 4 would be up for consideration.

Picking one of those four would make me crazy. Good arguments could be made for any one of those four.

Johali likes this.
  4. SlicedBread22

SlicedBread22 #TeamJL

200 Wins - 7 Championships - There's a reason he is (and always will be) The King.

Captain Coyfish and Johali like this.
  5. Zerkfitting

Zerkfitting Team Owner

They are all great - I can't vote for one.

Greg, Nitro Dude and Johali like this.
  6. SlicedBread22

SlicedBread22 #TeamJL

Even if JJ goes on to win 10 titles.. He won't get that many wins. Championships aren't about wins... I guess imo wins are better... Hmmmm that's a good thread topic.. I'll save it lol

7. SlicedBread22

SlicedBread22 #TeamJL

For those who disagree... if wins weren't more important than championships.. the chase wouldn't exist.

8. BobbyFord

BobbyFord Resident Gearhead Contributor

I don't believe you could accurately choose the best driver out of the three available choices.
    They're all from different eras of racing and subsequently all three faced different challenges.

Greg likes this.
  9. My vote is for Petty.

That's why.

SlicedBread22 likes this.
  10. BobbyFord

Petty would never get 200 wins in this era. I'm not saying it wasn't an amazing accomplishment, but it was decades ago, with a different field of competitors.
    You cannot compare different eras; it is apples to oranges.
    Jimmie Johnson probably wouldn't have won a Championship, back then. Without HMS and Chad Knauss, Jimmie Johnson isn't a six-time Champion. Can you picture Jimmie, with a football helmet on, sitting on a bench seat, gripping a plastic steering wheel, peering under a flap visor, looking at a chalkboard instead of listening to a headset?
    Dale Earnhardt wouldn't have won 7 Championships against the drivers of today.
    Each of the available choices were the best of the best, in their own times. I don't believe any of them would be as competitive in another's era.
    JMO.

11. DUN24

DUN24 Skeptical of the Spectacle

As others have said before. Tough to gauge levels of greatness from one era or another. Pearson, Petty, Earnhardt, Johnson, even Gordon with the way he paved the way for the young generations of drivers.. Tough to say really. I can't say.

12. ChexOrWrex

ChexOrWrex Ya gotta wanna

13. BobbyFord

14. ChexOrWrex

No.

15. Clutch

Clutch Team Owner

It's harder to win at present than it ever had been in the past.
    Jmho

16. ChexOrWrex

Everyone says that but JJ has won 6 of the last 8. It's not competitive for him.