Hahaha nascar.com poll

P

pettyfan4life

they are asking where will spencer finish in the points and worst then 20th is leading lol

Originally posted by pettyfan4life
they are asking where will spencer finish in the points and worst then 20th is leading lol

Try a little exercise here.:) Jimmy's story is top billing at NASCAR.com. Click on driver comparisons and then compare Jimmy to Kyle........Hmmmmmm!! One had a "great" season and one had a "miserable" season. Many are calling for Kyle to have one of his best seasons in recent years....and maybe even a Championship run in two or three years. Many are calling for Jimmy to have a terrible season and possibly falling completely out of the Winston Cup series. I think both assumptions are wrong.:) But, we'll see won't we?:D

http://www.nascar.com/

I think both will fail miserably, but all this shows is that most NASCAR fans watch with their hearts and not their heads.

Ask everyone to pick who they think will win the championship and everyone lists their favorite driver.

I dont think kyle could win the championship but i think he can contend for a top 10 or 15 for next year and have a win or two I wouldent mind see spencer win a race but not by wrecking people maybe bumpin but not wrecking to win

well Kyle has showed in the past that he can win races....Spencer has shown in the past that he knows how to wreck people and not run good.....sure he has a few good runs here and there...but he's not that great of a driver...neither is Kyle, but i think Kyle has more talent...Kyle hasnt drove a decent car in 10 years...but when he drove a decent car.....he did a helluva job doing so

yea like back in 92 and 93 i believe when Kyle had back to back 5 place points years

When was the last time Spencer won all i can remember is i think it was either 94 or 96 at talladega in and shoot out sprint to the finish

Originally posted by wcucharlotteguy
well Kyle has showed in the past that he can win races....Spencer has shown in the past that he knows how to wreck people and not run good.....sure he has a few good runs here and there...but he's not that great of a driver...neither is Kyle, but i think Kyle has more talent...Kyle hasnt drove a decent car in 10 years...but when he drove a decent car.....he did a helluva job doing so

Seems it always comes back to "Spencer knows how to wreck people". The man has been racing for over ten years in Cup and yes he has had his share of wrecks.......some his fault, some not his fault. Kyle has over 15 years in the Cup and he too has his share of wrecks.........some his fault and some not his fault. It's strange how some will keep score on a driver that they don't care for, always relating to wrecks.......and for a driver they do care for on wins, top fives, top tens, etc. Kyle came blowing into this sport much like Jr........he had a famous father and he got a good ride from the get go. Spencer came in all by himself.........got a mediocre drive at best. You say Kyle hasn't had a decent car for ten years......that's why he hasn't done well. Well, I say Jimmy hasn't had a decent car since he came into the series. The comparison is apples and oranges.:D My bet is that you have never really watched Spencer race with any objectivity at all.:) Raw talent between the two? I don't think you can say either is more talented than the other........put them in similar cars, teams and financial backing and let them run head to head for two or three seasons, then you might have some basis for your statement concerning talent.

And for the record.......I'm a Dale Earnhardt Jr fan. I happen to like Jimmy Spencer and Kyle Petty about equally. I just get a little testy when I read a thread that starts out with "hahaha"...........Jimmy Spencer in the top 20......"LOL". Just seems to me that that is not very fair.......they have a prejudiced view of a driver they actually have no knowledge of.

Originally posted by DE Wrangler 2
Well, I say Jimmy hasn't had a decent car since he came into the series.  

Really? So he just thrown out of a mediocre team? Not.

Yeah, I think so Paul.........the 40 team was (and probably still is) a top notch team. I've stated what I think Chip Ganassi did with team Coors and Team Target. Spencer did not get the same support as Marlin. Kind of like Hendrick and the 24 vs the 5.:) Not going to argue about it since it would do no good. But, yeah, I think the 41 team last year was a mediocre team.:)

It was a medicore team because no one on the team had any skill, not because of lack of support from above.

Ganassi runs a different type of organization, he isn't a good old boy and isn't part of the good old boy network. If you knew anything about the man, you would understand this. You would understand that he doesn't play the same game the rest of the owners do. He isn't there to sell diecasts, or start a rap group with his driver.

Ganassi isn't the type of person to hire a stroker just to go out there and run laps. This kind of business is different for most NASCAR fans because they're used to seeing guys like Terry Labonte win a championship and then do nothing for the rest of career and be ok with it, and the owner is ok with it.

The 25 car has always been the stepchild, and whoever doesn't believe that is fooling themselves.

Can you provide some examples of how the 41 car was not given any support?

DEW, man I'm glad you got that off your chest. I knew something was building. You gotta feel better! :) Jimmy and Kyle mean nothing to me. Both are but journeyman drivers with Jimmy probably having the edge as far as talent goes. Kyle has never been the driver his father or grandfather was and never will be. Adam looked to be the heir apparent to that, but that will never be. You're right that Jimmy has had to prove himself in this sport to get where he is today. As for him never having good equipment, I don't agree with that at all. If that is so, he should be happy going where he is, but I know, you know and we all know that isn't the case. Jimmy will hang around Winston Cup racing for a few more years and will just fade away like many before him. Once he is out of the series, people will forget him quickly. Kyle on the other hand, will always be remembered if only because of his name. Kyle, bless his heart, has so much on his mind that it's hard for him to concentrate clearly on his racing. I wish that he would completely vacate that seat and just run the show and his other stuff. I think that he's competing now just for his son's memory.

Guess not Paul.....unless taking the regular driver out of a certain type of race because the regular driver doesn't do good at that certain type of race counts.:) But, that doesn't count because Chip Ganassi is not a team type of guy........he's looking for Ganassi Championships (not one of his team's Championships). He can be that way, but I don't have to like it.:D

I still wish Spencer luck in his new ride..........and will still smile each time one of Chip's drivers have misfortune.

This round is on me!!:D :beerchug:

What about DEI hiring another driver to race their cars in those road courses? Does that not count? Is that somehow different?

Don't worry about it. :)

People put money into this sport to win races...some put money into it to sell diecasts.

You figure out which team does which, I'll be drinking a Bass draught.

Originally posted by paul
What about DEI hiring another driver to race their cars in those road courses?  Does that not count?  Is that somehow different?

Absolutely no different at all!!:) I think I voiced my opinions on the "hired guns" numerous times on this forum. But, did one of those drivers at DEI get canned for not performing on road courses..........come to think of it which driver got to sit a road course out last year from DEI? Hmmmmmm........which driver got a day off the year before?:)

Originally posted by DE Wrangler 2
Absolutely no different at all!!:)   I think I voiced my opinions on the "hired guns" numerous times on this forum.  But, did one of those drivers at DEI get canned for not performing on road courses..........come to think of it which driver got to sit a road course out last year from DEI?  Hmmmmmm........which driver got a day off the year before?:)

Two of those drivers almost got canned last year. But the masses cried loud enough so they got to keep their jobs, even though neither of those two will ever amount to much either. People liked them enough, and found them cute looking enough or witty enough to not consider their dismal performances in the cars at all.

One of them is going to be on a year to year contract, and if that isn't an insult as well I don't know what is.

Which is my main point, public opinion and memorobilia sales mean more to some owners than winning races. If a driver is likeable enough they don't have to win, or try...they can just go out there and drive around and the people will line up to support them.

Chip doesn't play that game. He's there to win races. WIN.

But, they did get put on notice..........now, if they don't perform they have had their written notice.:) But, I wonder if Teresa will go out of her way to meddle with either driver's Busch ride if she should can either of them.:D

I have said this in another post and I'll briefly state it again. It is all about money and business, Spencer didn't win, the sponsor and Chip wanted a winner...bottom line. He had the euipment, anyone who thinks that was a crappy ride doesn't know too much about Nascar. Spencer is a great driver he just hasn't excelled at the WC. level for whatever reason and i'm sure there are a few. When i was a kid back in Mass i watched the Bodines, Spencer,Schrader,Bouchards,and a few other guys like Park, and Nadeau race. Spencer could beat the best of them and often did.Just because he doesn't have 50 wins in WC makes him no less a driver than Kyle or anyone else. Talented in his own right, granted not a superstar, but still a good driver.

LOL The Pot Calls the Kettle Black, IMO Spencer has Much more talent than Ol Kyle....

Originally posted by Mopardh9
He had the euipment, anyone who thinks that was a crappy ride doesn't know too much about Nascar.

Guess I've been put in my place.:)

*sigh* I wish Jimmy the best and hereby agree to supply the KK for Daytona:)

Originally posted by kat2220
*sigh* I wish Jimmy the best and hereby agree to supply the KK for Daytona:)

Better save that money, bet he likes em by the Truckload...LOL..:D

Got that right. It got pretty expensive last year and I only supplied donuts once! :p

I din't mean to be rude before about the Ganassi #41 comment. The point i was trying to make was that it is a good ride because 1: Major sponsor 2: major owner and 3: a lot of drivers would kill for that ride. That is why i just don't see a cooment being made that says that ride is a leeser one. I know you guys have been here a lot longer than me, have about 4000 more posts than me, but i do know a little about Nascar . Sorry if i offended anyone. If you guys want to chat me up my AOL IM is dh9muscle. I love talking about racing and know quite a bit about the Northeast Modified scene back in the 60's and 70's.:rolleyes:

As you can plainly see, I've been a member since this forum started and I really don't post to often. I read postings almost every day and when I see something that interests me, I respond. Like it or not here is what I have to say on this thread. I agree with you Mopardh. I still live in the Massachusetts and also grew up watching the same Modified drivers you mentioned. Would Richie Evans have shown those good old boys a thing or two about racing? So many "race fans" are just that, "fans". Many are into the racing, but don't wish to learn or understand the inside business of this multi-million dollar industry. I think they're called "Arm chair quarterbacks." See the race on Sunday, talk about it on Monday. I've said this before and I'll say it again, have your favorite driver, (don't forget, you don't own him and you don't own the team) you are rooting for that dirver, you are the "fan" and they are the entertainers. I think with the Northeast short track venues that we've enjoyed, have giving us a much greater appreciation and understanding of the enjoyment of racing. Thompson, Seekonk, Riverside (this is where Mike Joy got his start), Monadnock, Waterford and Stafford. Bring back any fond memories? How many of members of this forum know about the year Geoff Bodine won over 50 Modified races. That's right folks, over 50 wins in one year. Spencer would come into New England and bully his way around these tracks. He either finished way up in the pack or ruined his equipment. Thus the nickname "Mr. Excitement." Remember how much of a stroker Jerry Cook was? Same thing as some of these WC drivers. Go around in circles, collect a check, go to the next race. Sound familiar with any of you out there? Maynard Troyer, Steady Eddie Flempke, these guys were a racers racer. I see alot of posts where members have found this or that and I think it's great, but take some time to learn from the information given to us and do some posting with a true racing "fan" point of view and as Paul would say "not just from your heart." Realize that some of the drivers you are rooting for will never finish up front, never win a championship and that's okay, I still root for Geoff Bodine. I know his career is over and that's okay with me because these young drivers are the future with talent, equipment and a heck of a lot of desire. See, these young guys know that if they don't compete up front they're gone(ala Casey Atwood). These young guys know that their is another hunger young driver right behind them ready to get their seat. They want to drive in the "Big Show" the die cast, the souvenirs mean nothing to them right now. They want to race and run up front. Some of the veterans like to be cute, witty, get on the TV, and rattle off the names of 15 different sponsors. When these young guys win they're excited and it's a spontaneous celebration. That's fun. I guess I rambled long enough. Paul will probaly yell at me over the length of this post, but we old guys take longer to get our point of veiw across and he knows I really don't care. I hope that no one is offended on anything I've said it's just the type of "fan" I've been for forty plus years.

I think it was a great post!

I know I sound harsh sometimes, we should all pull for whomever we so desire.

But there are things that just strike me as very silly about some things that are said sometimes. That's all I was getting at originally.

freestyleperdue, hoorah! You calls em like you sees em. I like that. As I am a big fan of the southern modified tour, mostly here in Winston Salem, I'm wondering if Maynard Troyer now makes chasis for modifieds. I know that many of the top racers use a Troyer chasis. It's considered the best around here. Would love to be able to see more of the northeastern modifieds, but without Speed channel and since no one else covers them down here, I don't get to see them much. Did get to go see them race at Martinsville this past October. Watched them in person and then watched the Cup cars on TV.

Speed channel does show some of the races. New Hampshire, Martinsville and they also were to show a Stafford race of maybe it was ESPN.

I know they show them about three months afterwards. Anyway, I love the modified that we have down here. Got some of the northeaster boys to move down here. George Brunnhoelzl III, Bob Park (probably because Steve is down here) are a couple. L.W. Miller, the winner at Martinsville also comes down here now and then to race. Love those little cars. Believe it or not, there will be one at the Winston Cup Preview.

I only have a little to add here. Some of us on this forum are NASCAR fans..........some are race fans. There's a difference. I've never been a fan of Indy style racing (you know, the low slung, mid-engine, supercharged, engineered for nothing but racing cars). I like the "stock" cars.......yeah I know they are anything but stock, but they resemble a car you might see on the freeway. I could care less where any driver came from (modified, sprint, Indy, CART, F1, or rally). It's what they do as a "stock" car driver that makes me either a fan of theirs or a non fan. But, it appears that in order for me to be fan by a few people's difinition, I MUST study all the divisions. That's hogwash. I've never been a fan of Geoffery Bodine........and until recently, I didn't even know he raced modifieds. In fact it was only about a year ago, that I found out the Jimmy Spencer was two time modified champion.......it makes no difference what so ever what he was. He's a NASCAR driver now......his life as a driver started when he became a NASCAR driver (it just doesn't matter what he did before). If that makes me not qualified to be a fan, then I guess I'm a non qualified fan.

Now to meat of all my posts so far on this thread.......and I've been pretty much alone on it. I objected to "hahaha Jimmy Spencer...........". The guy was canned by Ganassi. That is fine........Chip Ganassi owns the team and he can hire and fire whomever he pleases. But, Jimmy gets a bum rap on his driving. He's aggressive........he's going to be in more incidences because of that. He's a better driver than a lot of others out there that don't get blamed for every wreck on the track.......I've seen him be over aggressive and cause some. I've also seen him just being aggressive and get blamed for something that he didn't really cause.......but not many will ever admit that maybe it was "just racin'"! If Jimmy's there, then Jimmy punted him...........or "bullied" him. NASCAR is not a gentlemen's sport........more on a par with boxing. Back to Chip Ganassi and the business of the big time racing business. Spencer obviously did not perform like expected last season......it very well could have been the agreement between Jimmy and Chip. Jimmy's out of the Cup ride. But why is it "business" to go to Jimmy's team and buy controlling interest and then put Jimmy out of his Busch ride too? Spencer did pretty damned good last season in the #1 car. Was it also performance that prompted that boot too? I don't think so........and that is my problem with Chip Ganassi. Maybe, it's because I'm not a race fan (and don't understand the "big time racing business).....just a lowly NASCAR fan.

Hence my objection to the thread title..........Jimmy will probably never win a Championship. Heck he may never win another race. But he does not deserve the BS said about him. Some may have watched him and followed him in NASCAR and still think he's no good...........but, I doubt it. Almost everyone saying negative things about him only talk about him because he's a "wrecker" or a "bully". I don't see that way. And, I'm going to say it one more time.........I'm not a huge fan of Jimmy Spencer. I just see him as a decent driver (one of many) trying to entertain us every Sunday during race season.

Okay! would you mind repeating that? :) BTW, the modified are considered stock cars, even though they are open wheeled cars. Their bodies are supposed to be those of showroom cars. Actually, I believe only the roofline would be from a showroom car, but other than that, I can't see any resemblance. Just thought you would want to know! :)

Actually Modified NASCAR racing is one of the oldest forms of pure stock car racing. As for all the stuff the current WC drivers did in the past , i think it makes a huge difference in who they are....that is what got them to where they are now. They worked for it! SPEED shows a lot of the old MODS in the morning, it is on at 7:30 here in Colorado. You can see guys like Bugsy Stevens, Fred Dessaro,Richie Evans, Ed Flemke, Maynard Troyar, Gene Bergin ( personal friend of my Dads) and so many others i can name. I grew up with all these guys, watched them every weekend race their heart and souls out. A few i knew , a lot i admired and , a couple special ones i considered Gods. To me that was and still is the best form of racing. This a great site if you guys want to check out, www.vintagemodifieds.com,also check out New England Antique Racers, they have a hall of fame ....lots of impressive names in it. To me all the crap about Spencer is over the bridge anyway, Chip is rutheless, i neveer said i liked the guy all i said was that he knows how to win and is good at it!

Originally posted by Mopardh9
To me all the crap about Spencer is over the bridge anyway, Chip is rutheless, i neveer said i liked the guy all i said was that he knows how to win and is good at it!

So I'm not alone after all!!:)

And it's just as much fun to root against someone (driver or team) as it is to root for.:D I've got both sides covered this season.

Their are many tracks sanctioned by NASCAR. Many of the tracks that WINSTON CUP drivers come from are NASCAR sanctioned tracks. So when you say "Their NASCAR drivers now, what you should have said is that they're in "WINSTON CUP" now. See I'm a NASCAR fan who happens to enjoy the WINSTON CUP, BUSCH, MODIFIED series, all of which have NASCAR as a sanctioning body. I'm pretty sure that Bodine and Spencer were in NASCAR even before say..../////////...oops, did I say that. Sorry, slip of the keys. No my point is some people just don't know for what they say about the information for which they read and pass on to others.

Thanks for the correction.........Busch, Winston Cup fan here.:)

Back
Top Bottom