Has Kevin Harvick (at age 43) Lost A Step?

Rodney is very good, but the combination of those two is what elevates them to this level.
I think he put Harvick into a different frame of mind AND THEN the wins started coming.
You don't hear Harvick throw his team under the bus these days.

I was watching the 07 Autoclub race won by Matt Kenseth. All sorts of passing that race. There was one particular lap where the coverage put us on board with Harvick, back in the 29. 202 down the back, and lifted down to 157, and he got back in the gas very late. Ironically, a few laps earlier DW was talking about Tony Stewart's late entry for a fast drive off (pass for the lead) and how this is the way to make speed. Harvick, like we've talked about before, seems to drive it in pretty deeply and didn't seem to really work the throttle until the car settles.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

You make a really good point about the depth with which Kevin drives it in....it just doesn't seem like he does because he is patient in center roll, and exits so composed. Do you think that is kind of Denny at a short track?

You make a really good point about the depth with which Kevin drives it in....it just doesn't seem like he does because he is patient in center roll, and exits so composed. Do you think that is kind of Denny at a short track?
To be honest, I feel like all my guesses about driver style goes out the window now, because they are wide open. There isn't driving in deeply at the intermediate tracks with the 550 because they aren't lifting. But sure, I'd say that's similar to Denny at short tracks. Especially Martinsville

To be honest, I feel like all my guesses about driver style goes out the window now, because they are wide open. There isn't driving in deeply at the intermediate tracks with the 550 because they aren't lifting. But sure, I'd say that's similar to Denny at short tracks. Especially Martinsville

Really good point....but what is fascinating is that even wide open, Kevin still wins. I really like watching Denny and his lines on a short track. Do you think data sharing is the reason why he has lost his advantage in braking....or is it the braking technology?

Really good point....but what is fascinating is that even wide open, Kevin still wins. I really like watching Denny and his lines on a short track. Do you think data sharing is the reason why he has lost his advantage in braking....or is it the braking technology?
Kevin is great and probably is the best in business along with KB. But my opinion, the gen 6 car, and specifically this aero package favor the best teams more than in years past. And the 4 is the best team. Gone are the days when a 7th place car can be the best car over a long run, or the best car by the end of the race. In race adjustments don't seem nearly as impactful, and there's more room for improvement in speed via handling when the cars are slowing down 40mph into turn 1.

Kevin is still elite, but I don't think it's any coincidence that the best car with the 550 package is having a historic season/best average finish is 20 years, in what will probably be a double digit win season.

Anyways, as for braking, maybe other teams have caught up? Maybe The car minimizes Denny's braking advantage? Maybe he's become less aggressive? I think there are a number of factors really.

Denny is keeping his cards close to his chest waiting for the final race and that WIN is all that matters.

I know he signed an extension awhile back, but today this dude is probably thinking about the word ‘retirement’

He has won 20% of the last 100 races, I am sure he will be fine.

nothin to do with his performance... Carl Edwards 2017 comes to mind. That dude was on a contract then too, and arguably at the top of his game, seems like he said ‘enough!’... iiiii duunnnooooo

Epic. The Closer is now The Choker. Wrecks the guy that runs from him because he has his bluff in on him and wrecks himself. The bully got his just deserts. Epic.

I saw Kevin Harvicks body language kinda say “screw it”

and I don’t blame him if I’m correct on that observation by the way...

My hats off to Harvick for giving it his all when he was 2 laps down with an ill handing car. He drove his as-s off but just ran out of time. He knew he had only one Hail Mary shot left with a 50 50 chance but it didn't work and he came up short which is probably what every other driver would have done also. Even if Kevin never runs another lap he will go down in my book as one of the most talented cup drivers ever. That being said, if the JGR teams are found to have did an illegal move and it changed the outcome of the final 4 then Hamlin should be pulled and Harvick should be reinstated.

nothin to do with his performance... Carl Edwards 2017 comes to mind. That dude was on a contract then too, and arguably at the top of his game, seems like he said ‘enough!’... iiiii duunnnooooo
Looking at it that way, I feel ya.

Clue of what? He chokes under the same conditions everyone else races under?

Comon now, you know he's best out there in a race car right now. If Rodney had gotten they thing dialed in even half ass Harvick would be in this thing no question. Amazing with the POS he had that he drove back to 9th....

And every other driver out there in his shoes in this format is going to try and turn Kyle Busch in that scenario. That's the format we have and they're not doing their job if they don't try to shove Kyle out of the way there.

Every one of you hosers acting like short track racing is a gentleman's sport and horrified that somebody gets moved and sometimes wrecked on purpose makes me laugh.

I saw Kevin Harvicks body language kinda say “screw it”

and I don’t blame him if I’m correct on that observation by the way...
Didn't seem too bothered.

Comon now, you know he's best out there in a race car right now. If Rodney had gotten they thing dialed in even half ass Harvick would be in this thing no question. Amazing with the POS he had that he drove back to 9th....

And every other driver out there in his shoes in this format is going to try and turn Kyle Busch in that scenario. That's the format we have and they're not doing their job if they don't try to shove Kyle out of the way there.

Every one of you hosers acting like short track racing is a gentleman's sport and horrified that somebody gets moved and sometimes wrecked on purpose makes me laugh.
He and Rodney choked.They brought a POS to the most important race of their season, and couldn’t make it competitive.
Plus, Kev being the douche he is makes it all worth while.
I will agree he did what he had to do. He was just fortunate it was KB and not Ryan Newman in a bad mood.

He and Rodney choked.They brought a POS to the most important race of their season, and couldn’t make it competitive.
I will agree he did what he had to do. He was just fortunate it was KB and not Ryan Newman in a bad mood.

and there it is. :laugh:

Yes, there it is. Don’t act like anyone is above disliking a driver.

They came from two laps down from a flat tire to the lead lap, and it took race fixing from the 11/20 to keep him out of the final race. Sorry bud I'll have to go with the Kevin's a douche nonsense because the other makes no sense.

Harvick has dang Jimmie's praise A LOT these last two years.

He even rescinded the golden horseshoe comment. Now that Kevin has driven for arguably the best team in NASCAR for 7 seasons now, I think it allows him to view Jimmie's accomplishments from a common perspective: best team, best CC and best driver in the field. Yet, only 1 title to show for it and less wins.

Really classy of Harvick here. He's chilled out a lot the last 5 years and he's REALLY hard to root against.

when i read quotes from Harvick on drivers, I’ve learned to take them with a grain of salt.

When he criticized Dale Jr years ago because he happened to be the most popular driver but had no cup championships... that was a terrible play on his part.

All these guys have nice things to say about Jimmie this year, so its good Kevin chimed in As well though.

They came from two laps down from a flat tire to the lead lap, and it took race fixing from the 11/20 to keep him out of the final race. Sorry bud I'll have to go with the Kevin's a douche nonsense because the other makes no sense.
They Hamlin'ed…...now it's called Harvicking….Sure they rebounded and a lot can be said for the team to get the car competitive. When they did, too late. And lets not act like Harvick wasn't above face fixing when he's wrecked the entire field at Dega to make it to the next round. Douche....

Wrecking himself was epic.

They Hamlin'ed…...now it's called Harvicking….Sure they rebounded and a lot can be said for the team to get the car competitive. When they did, too late. And lets not act like Harvick wasn't above face fixing when he's wrecked the entire field at Dega to make it to the next round. Douche....

Wrecking himself was epic.
Oh I thought you called it choking..got ya. It's Hamlining now and this goes waaay back :biggrin:

Oh I thought you called it choking..got ya. It's Hamlining now and this goes waaay back :biggrin:
You act as if taking glee in a dirtbag's misfortune is some kind of novel thing? Yes, I think he is a POS so watching him choke/Hamlin/Harvick/etc. is very satisfying. Now I almost hope he wins Phoenix so it tortures him even more knowing what could have been....

(As much as a celebrity financially set for life can be tortured)

You act as if taking glee in a dirtbag's misfortune is some kind of novel thing? Yes, I think he is a POS so watching him choke/Hamlin/Harvick/etc. is very satisfying. Now I almost hope he wins Phoenix so it tortures him even more knowing what could have been....

(As much as a celebrity financially set for life can be tortured)
Do you have the doll you stick pins in?

bull****. They were terrible.

Harv.png

He got very close before Martinsville, but he did not end up eclipsing 99' Dale Jarrett's avg finish.

He did however tie 2007 Jeff Gordon to the hundreth with a 7.33... tied for the lowest avg finish in the last 20 years.

How does that % of laps run stack up to others throughout the sport's history? 99.7% is very impressive.

Back
Top Bottom