Has the time come to do away with the Yellow Line "rule"?

I always thought they were supposed to atleast momentarily stop trying to advance forward (Denny continued to pass more cars during/after) even if forced instead of using it to their advantage and being allowed to keep the win.

Honestly, it was smart for him to just go for it. If he slowed and held the position,he obviously wouldn't have won. I'm willing to bet that he knew he was breaking the rules. He may have even been surprised that he wasn't DQ'd.

The transition from the flat to the banking causes cars to loose control. There were too many wrecks and when it happens it is usually the leaders taking out the field. The blocking nature of leader creates the problem. A driver has to decide to cause a wreck staying above the line or move below the line and preserve their car. They've revised it a bit over the years to protect a forced move and I thought they applied it correctly during Talladega (they should be provide some allowance for the last lap).

Edward's never would have flown into the fence if he wasn't hit by the other car (Newman, I think?). That catapulted him into the air

No.

Just simply remove the judgement from NASCAR's hands. There is no gray area. Race on the track. If you go off the track you get black flagged. Easy.

The fact that they let Hamlin keep that win was a ****** travesty. If if you think he was forced down there he has plenty of time to move back onto the track before he passed 4 cars.

Damn dude. Brad was trying to get the inside, Carl was trying to stop him, even if you took the yellow line away the 99 would have driven him to the dirt. I've got 30 years in this ****. No yellow line and Brad would have said " I had no where to go but in to the grass" and he would have hooked him. Done deal. Just so you understand these cars are moving a football field a second and the 99 probably went a tenth of a mile in the air so dont try to tell me 10 feet would have made a difference.

Like I said, we can just agree to disagree. Sorry that I don't agree with you pal.

The way they race today, there will be someone driving below that yellow line in atleast 3 of the 4 points plate races...

I remember some of the moments in the late 90s that scared me out of my seat watching a race... the 1999 daytona 500, I remember there being a close call there where the drivers at the last split second worked it out and allowed everyone back onto the banking as the corner started... it was freaky though.

Today the cars pack race so close together that you remove the yellow line rule... we are then begging for a nasty wreck with the leaders each time.

This is on NASCAR. They should have taken the win off the 11... but i feel they’re concerned with either the cosmetics of doing that AND OR the idea that a non playoff driver wins the event... I believe NASCAR wants badly for playoff drivers to win these races therefore it makes their whole playoff thing look more credible.

What? Really? A curb at 200 mph? You might want to rethink that .
I'll bet if there was a curb you wouldn't see a car within 5 feet of it.
Drivers today will try stupid things because they have so much protection they have no fear.

Honestly, it was smart for him to just go for it. If he slowed and held the position,he obviously wouldn't have won. I'm willing to bet that he knew he was breaking the rules. He may have even been surprised that he wasn't DQ'd.
You could see that in the interview, he was more surprised than anyone else he wasn't penalized.

Edward's never would have flown into the fence if he wasn't hit by the other car (Newman, I think?). That catapulted him into the air
Maybe maybe not but in this case thats what happened and unless your counting on nobody else being on the track its a factor

I'll bet if there was a curb you wouldn't see a car within 5 feet of it.
Drivers today will try stupid things because they have so much protection they have no fear.

so there would be a big air ramp on track?

That is my thoughts in a nutshell.
Restrictor plate wrecks are going to happen repeatedly. What is the difference if there is or isn't a Yellow Line "rule"? NONE
yeah I see a number of reasons to get rid of the rule. From a drivers side for example, if Logano is above the current yellow line and another car tries to pass on the apron we all know what is going to happen. From a track side of looking at things. What driver in their right mind is going to make the transition from the flat apron to up on the banking? They might get away with it once or twice with new tires but I don't see that as anything but a desperation move in the closing laps.

If they get rid of the rule, even for the last lap... I recommend all of you to not sit in the first 30 rows.

If they get rid of the rule, even for the last lap... I recommend all of you to not sit in the first 30 rows.

We had cars up in the fence before and after restrictor plates, and we've had cars in the fence before and after the out of bounds rule. I fail to see where the line helps that much. A rules package that basically forces drivers into stupid risky moves is the problem.

We had cars up in the fence before and after restrictor plates, and we've had cars in the fence before and after the out of bounds rule. I fail to see where the line helps that much. A rules package that basically forces drivers into stupid risky moves is the problem.

Yea I guess it really doesn’t matter to me when I think about it more... I’m not on the track.

Would be good to hear what more drivers say, hopefully NASCAR will let their(drivers) opinions have an influence on decisions regarding the topic

Dale Jr sure made a good case for getting rid of it

Dale Jr is well spoken with his thoughts and opinions... and it definitely makes sense.

I agree with him. Just remove all ‘judgement calls’ 100%. It would have been neat if everyone was just talking about the battle back to the line at talladega instead of who was right and who was wrong... just threw away what could have been an exciting finish for the ages

Back
Top Bottom