How about NASCAR celebrating Podium finishes?

Inappropriate. It's not like Brian is trying his hardest.

Hey, do you suppose that's the problem? Maybe Brian needs a trophy?

Well he did say he actually picked up the phone and called Monster trying to persuade them to come on board. Poor baby must have needed a week off to recover.

In my opinion , they only need to hand out one trophy. It would make everyone ..... drivers, crews, owners, and fans happy . Season points winner . Everything else they do is window dressing and not my concern.

I agree as with the sports I follow trophies are handed out at year end and the biggest one is for the champ. I agree with you.

With timed events it ain’t a problem. Just take it off the green flag time.

It’s a small sacrifice to make to see one’s driver properly honored for finishing third.

I have been a Nascar fan as long as I can remember . There was never an issue with drivers 'not trying to win ' . They always tried to get the best they could out of their crew , their car and themselves . They did better one week over another . But it wasn't from lack of trying . Other guys had better luck , crew and/or equipment on the day . Dale Sr . , Rusty and DW didn't win every week , neither did Gordon and Johnson . Doesn't mean they weren't trying to win . Their careers started off not so good , they got better , and tailed off in the later years . I remember Dale Sr saying 'second is the first loser' , it was in frustration , he wasn't some greek philosopher , it wasn't for people to live by , it was an offhand remark by a racecar driver , he was pissed . I remember some drivers saying ' Well , at least we had a good points day " . It wasn't what they wanted , it was what they were left with . It was for their race team , their fans and their sponsors . It wasn't what they were happy with, they were pissed . Seems , a lot of today's fans just don't get racing .
If you think the "coast and collect" mentality of points racing was not a thing in NASCAR's prior decades, I'd question how closely you were watching. Just last night, as Benny Parsons was inducted into the Hall of Fame, they showed film of BP describing his championship points race. "We were just aiming to finish races. We weren't trying to win, just to finish. And at the last race we found ourselves leading the points..."

Benny Parsons won 21 Cup races, IIRC. How many more might he have won if the points scale rewarded winning more than coasting and collecting?

Just one example of why I believe Nascar has NEVER had a championship format designed to crown the best driver of the year.

Last edited:
If you think the "coast and collect" mentality of points racing was not a thing in NASCAR's prior decades, I'd question how closely you were watching. Just last night, as Benny Parsons was inducted into the Hall of Fame, they showed film of BP describing his championship points race. "We were just aiming to finish races. We weren't trying to win, just to finish. And at the last race we found ourselves leading the points..."

Benny Parsons won 21 Cup races, IIRC. How many more might he have won if the points scale rewarded winning more than coasting and collecting?

Just one example of why I believe Nascar has NEVER had a championship format designed to crown the best driver of the year.

Sorry if you think that Benny Parsons was advocating some 'coast and collect ' theory . He would have been laughed out of Nascar instead of being put into the HOF . In fact , in those days , reliability was a major factor in Nascar racing . Benny was of the opinion that to finish first ( which he often did) , first you must finish . I thought I covered this when I said that the driver tried to get the best finish that his equipment would allow . There was one race where Carl Edwards intentionally crashed his car in the final turn , in a silly attempt to win a race that was already lost . It played well on tv , but he never did it again . He should have taken the second place that he deserved . There is no shame in finishing second with a second place car , wrecking that car is plain stupid .

FOX has requested NASCAR look at post-race podiums. Monster's Mitch Covington agrees:

Sources said that at the request of Fox, NASCAR considered adding podiums to victory lane this offseason that would have feted first, second and third place. However, NASCAR is likely holding off on adding them for now, sources said. Covington said he thinks podiums “would be great,” and would like to see them added.

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/...Marketing-and-Sponsorship/Monster-NASCAR.aspx

Back
Top Bottom