How many days until the 2020 Daytona 500?

EPzm5LIWAAEGbfY

Escanaba Is a small town of 15,000 people on the Lake Michigan shore line. 40 miles away was another small town named Norway. Both towns had 1/4 mile clay ovals. I lived in between them. I never realized how much our boys were involved with the Milwaukee bunch until we started these countdown threads. My mom and dad were race fans. We went to Escanaba almost every week and sometimes Norway. All in all it was a great place to grow up.
We lost both the cool dirt tracks in OKC and Tulsa. We still have Salina but not much else. I grew up going every Saturday night until it moved to a new locale but eventually it died. My buddy won the track championship one year and moved up to 410 sprints at the new location. Now they run horses at the old fairgrounds track,it is so sad to drive by it now.

We lost both the cool dirt tracks in OKC and Tulsa. We still have Salina but not much else. I grew up going every Saturday night until it moved to a new locale but eventually it died. My buddy won the track championship one year and moved up to 410 sprints at the new location. Now they run horses at the old fairgrounds track,it is so sad to drive by it now.
Escanaba and Norway both became paved tracks in the early 70’s. Escanaba shut down in the late 70’s and sat idol for along time. 15-20 years ago they tore up the pavement and opened up another dirt track. It’s now going strong. Norway stayed open the whole time. Norway had a stronger tie with the Milwaukee bunch which raced there a lot.

We had tracks in Dewey,Enid,Tulsa,OKC,Muskogee and they were all thriving. Some drivers would race OKC and Tulsa in the same weekend. It was quite an era in the 60s and 70s.

Kent Pearson, yeah she’s gettin a bit rough
  • upload_2020-2-13_23-35-19.jpeg

• 73 or 74 they parked it in back 40.
  • upload_2020-2-13_23-49-30.jpeg

• Couple guys think We can fix that.
  • upload_2020-2-13_23-51-28.jpeg

• upload_2020-2-13_23-52-17.jpeg

• They got it running. Now what do you do with 50 something year old beat to Schit sportsman car.
  • upload_2020-2-13_23-55-19.jpeg

Well seeing it’s Upper Michigan the guy who owns the liquor store puts it on display
  • upload_2020-2-13_23-57-11.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom