How Many Drivers Retire in 2022?

KTMLew01

Team Owner
My guess:

Truex
Harvick
Bubba Wallace---I REALLY think the new car is gonna make some guys think hard about hanging it up. The car just doesn't have enough crushability in frontal impact.

Possibly;

Kyle Busch
Harry Gant
Cale Yarbrough
Bill Elliot

You’d normally see a thread like this smack dab in the middle of an off-season

You’d normally see a thread like this smack dab in the middle of an off-season
I fully believe this new car & some schedule changes will be the tipping point. This car is far less dependable than the previous generations. (toe-links & wheels falling off ). This seasons Cup Championship definitely needs an * beside it. They should have run this car maybe 10 races. Use this season as a test. But YMMV.

I’m confused as to why you put Bill, Harry and Cale as retiring? I’m really dense so I just probably missed the joke. As for your first name on the list, I thought Harvick had a contract for 2023 and recently said on the Jr Podcast he’s going to give that a go.

I fully believe this new car & some schedule changes will be the tipping point. This car is far less dependable than the previous generations. (toe-links & wheels falling off ). This seasons Cup Championship definitely needs an * beside it. They should have run this car maybe 10 races. Use this season as a test. But YMMV.
I’m confused as to why you put Bill, Harry and Cale as retiring? I’m really dense so I just probably missed the joke. As for your first name on the list, I thought Harvick had a contract for 2023 and recently said on the Jr Podcast he’s going to give that a go.

That last part was a joke. I believe the dirt racing has about killed Harvicks desire to continue. This season will have ZERO historical relevance due to the cars lack of durability. Let's see how the wheels & wheel bearing carriers hold up at Dover.

I'll be shocked if a couple or more drivers don't get hurt before seasons end.

That last part was a joke. I believe the dirt racing has about killed Harvicks desire to continue. This season will have ZERO historical relevance due to the cars lack of durability. Let's see how the wheels & wheel bearing carriers hold up at Dover.

I can honestly see Harvick retiring before 2024. I don't know if he will at the end of this year though. He'll probably wait until the TV deals are sorted out and he has a contract in hand with Fox or ESPN.

That said, I've cheered for Harvick since he began in Cup, but I think he needs to retire. The dude is just so miserable all the time now.

I can honestly see Harvick retiring before 2024. I don't know if he will at the end of this year though. He'll probably wait until the TV deals are sorted out and he has a contract in hand with Fox or ESPN.

That said, I've cheered for Harvick since he began in Cup, but I think he needs to retire. The dude is just so miserable all the time now.
When a douchebag, rich kid frat boy like Chase absolutely punks you, it's time to hang up the HANS. :XXROFL:

I wanted to like him so much at times… and it would damn sure about get all the way to the point where I could say it… then bam! He would do something I completely disagreed with in a race. But it gave us all a reason to stay tuned in and be entertained.

I respect everything he’s done at this level either way.

I’m not sure what he might do as it relates to finishing out the contract extension through 2023… I guess they have Ryan Preece waiting whenever Kevin is ready to call it.

We're still trying to retire Kurt Busch, Kevin Harvick, MTJ along with Denny. I guess we can add Kyle Busch now to The RacingForum's.com Driver's Who Need to Retire list.
Imagine the stunners that could be dropped in an all out “who should retire” thread…

I mean this in the nicest way possible because I enjoy our interactions but this is death bedding at its finest.... I mean its worst case scenario for our current season. I'm just having a hard time buying what you are selling.

Imagine the stunners that could be dropped in an all out “who should retire” thread…
Did you say....stunners?
1650987631465.png

So we know Almirola is really leaving. With no proof whatsoever, I 100% in my heart of hearts believe that MTJ retires in next two years to make room for Ty (plus he's all but said at times that he's done, wants to be by Sherry's side, etc). I don't think Denny retires, but I do see him moving to 23XI to finish his career (which seemingly contradicts what I said above about MTJ making room for Ty). Harvick has 2 years in him at best as well. My .02

So maybe THIS off season isn't a bloodbath, but I think we're due for one really soon. This will be an exodus that rivals losing Jr, Stewart, Gordon, and Johnson in a short span.

So maybe THIS off season isn't a bloodbath, but I think we're due for one really soon. This will be an exodus that rivals losing Jr, Stewart, Gordon, and Johnson in a short span.

Yeah, I think it could look a lot different by '25, especially with the manufacturers continuing to push this EV movement. Chevrolet wanting to replace the Camaro with a performance EV, and a similar direction from Ford and Toyota, might dictate some kind of hybrid electrification powertrain a few years down the road. Especially if NASCAR still wants to attract more manufacturers to join.

If/when more big changes happen within the sport, I think you could see a half dozen drivers retiring over the course of a couple offseasons. I don't want to sound like a "death bedder" but I'm concerned about the long-term future of motorsports, not just NASCAR. I'll save the internal combustion vs battery talk for another thread, but luckily I don't see gasoline-powered V8 goodness going away anytime soon.

Realistic possibilities IMO:

- MTJ. Somebody has to make room for Ty.

- Harvick. Not running well, doesn't seem to enjoy it, plus Keelan is getting older and he could be the tee-ball dad fulltime plus has KHI to run. I know TV is on the horizon for him, but maybe he takes a year to help Keelan develop since that would be his only opportunity to do so for a whole season.

Ideas here that I disagree with:

- Bubba ain't retiring, what else is he gonna do? He's in his 20s still and only fairly recently "made it".

- Kyle Busch ain't leaving Cup to run fulltime trucks yet. Wins haven't been pouring in lately, but they still can, and he's the type to want to cement his legacy the best it can possibly be before he calls it a career. Every win is another stat for the rest of time and he's still super driven to compete.

- Kurt I think is safe. 23XI needs stability and he's a proven wheelman that brings money. Dude is still into the competition, still appears to be super driven. I think he'll drive until Monster ever pulls the plug for somebody younger. Then again, maybe that person is Ty Gibbs. Time will tell...

Bubba Wallace---I REALLY think the new car is gonna make some guys think hard about hanging it up. The car just doesn't have enough crushability in frontal impact.

Are you still demanding a return to the Muncie 4-speed and the Ford 9”?

This season will have ZERO historical relevance due to the cars lack of durability. Let's see how the wheels & wheel bearing carriers hold up at Dover.

It never ends with you. Post a single fact in support of this nonsense.

- Harvick. Not running well, doesn't seem to enjoy it, plus Keelan is getting older and he could be the tee-ball dad fulltime plus has KHI to run. I know TV is on the horizon for him, but maybe he takes a year to help Keelan develop since that would be his only opportunity to do so for a whole season.

I could see him retiring at the end of next year, taking 2024 off, then going to ESPN in 2025.

whos hurt?

Taking this thread a little off course what are the chances a guy like Erik Jones ends up in the #10 car next year? Or how about even AJ Almindinger? I'm curious who's gonna end up in that seat. I'd take either of those two drivers. And if Cole Custer continues as is will he be in the #41 next year?

Taking this thread a little off course what are the chances a guy like Erik Jones ends up in the #10 car next year? Or how about even AJ Almindinger? I'm curious who's gonna end up in that seat. I'd take either of those two drivers. And if Cole Custer continues as is will he be in the #41 next year?
Still think that Preece will end up in the 10. I actually could see Jones winning a race this year, he's already been close, so I think he will stay with petty. AJ will stick with Kaulig whether its cup or xfinity idk. If Custer continues to have another bad season this year he could be gone. I just don't know who would replace him in that seat.

.A.J. has said he is happy running Xfinity and doesn't really want to run a full cup schedule.

Writing is on the wall it's Preece's ride. SHR hired him as a "sim driver" a la Alex Bowman this year. Almirola announces retirement shortly after. (or was it before?) Connect the dots.

Still think that Preece will end up in the 10. I actually could see Jones winning a race this year, he's already been close, so I think he will stay with petty. AJ will stick with Kaulig whether its cup or xfinity idk. If Custer continues to have another bad season this year he could be gone. I just don't know who would replace him in that seat.
I think Custer is safe for a while. $$$$

He can argue SHR as a whole has sucked for that time period.

Custer was awful last year. Wouldn't be sad to see him go. Equipment ain't the problem.

Custer was awful last year. Wouldn't be sad to see him go. Equipment ain't the problem.
He isn't showing any sides of getting better if I had to be the judge. On the other hand, SHR doesn't get in a hurry to fire drivers.

Say they did get rid of Custer, I still can't think of who they would bring in for that seat

I read an article that said Denny Hamlin would retire at the end of this year but I guess it was an April Fool's joke.

Back
Top Bottom