How many other motorsports have no practice sessions?

racingfan7

Start and Park
Contributor
How many motorsports across the world have no practice sessions?

Why is NASCAR not giving them at least a good 55 min-1 hour long session (Ok we don’t need 3-4 hours every weekend if ya wanna give the cost excuse), literally every single Motorsport I can think let’s drivers and teams test & practice.

Let’s not get started on qualifying either.

Last I checked, they upgrade Talladega, Richmond, Phoenix garages and then give them no use to watch them in the garage lol.

Last edited:
How many motorsports across the world have no practice sessions?

Why is NASCAR not giving them at least a good 55 min-1 hour long session (Ok we don’t need 3-4 hours every weekend if ya wanna give the cost excuse), literally every single Motorsport I can think let’s drivers and teams test & practice.

Let’s not get started on qualifying either.

Last I checked, they upgrade Talladega, Richmond, Phoenix garages and then give them no use to watch them in the garage lol.
Professional drag racing is the only one I can think of. But, how hard could it possibly be to go 335 mph being propelled by a timebomb ready to explode at any second. :)

Professional drag racing is the only one I can think of. But, how hard could it possibly be to go 335 mph being propelled by a timebomb.

Drag racing allows them to test and qualify last I checked but I haven’t been following NHRA and what not. Need to make it out to Bandimere or Brainerd or something soon.

Again, NASCAR doesn’t need 3-4 hours of practice like they used to unless it’s a big race or whatever. But I don’t understand why there isn’t at least an hour (and maybe a shakedown on Saturdays for 3 day weekend) every weekend.

This 2022 system seems weird to me. Better than nothing I guess.

Last edited:
Drag racing allows them to test and qualify last I checked but I haven’t been following NHRA and what not. Need to make it out to Bandimere or Brainerd or something soon.

Again, NASCAR doesn’t need 3-4 hours of practice like they used to. But I don’t understand why there isn’t at least an hour every weekend.

This 2022 system seems weird to me.
I thought you were talking about at the track they are getting ready to race on. Pro cars can't test on any track within 1 week before a race at that track except the scheduled test the week before the US Nationals. Due to covid there was no testing last year and only 2 qualifying sessions at each race. This year they have been doing 4 at some races and 3 at others.

Yea I get it that Covid is still an issue. Just think practice and qualifying is underrated in general for pro racing.

In drag racing I always thought of qualifying as practice but I’m not a drag racing genius.

Yea I get it that Covid is still an issue. Just think practice and qualifying is underrated in general for pro racing.

In drag racing I always thought of qualifying as practice but I’m not a drag racing genius.
You are not wrong about drag racing. After a team gets a good hit and is qualified good they may use the last couple of sessions sometimes to try different tune ups.

In my post # 4 I didn't mean any track...but just at the track they are getting ready to race at.

Plus with NASCAR, with having 0 practice and qualifying at most races we have a lack of storylines heading into the weekend.

Hot passes seem a little less useful, these garage renovations seem pointless. IDK why they can’t have a 45 mins-good hour on Friday and maybe 15-30 minute “Happy Hour” shakedown for the 3 day weekends. Lol at least an hour.

They’re trying to cut costs for the teams but at the same expense I feel like the camping and garage experience has been cheapened.

Literally every dirt series, 3 hot laps AND HEATS and race.

That’s practice and they are given plenty of testing time unlike NASCAR…………

So if you’re a small team in NASCAR, you can’t test, you can’t get sim time, and you can’t practice!

It blows my mind we’re renovating Phoenix, Richmond, Talladega only to watch them NOT have any use for those garages.

Literally every dirt series, 3 hot laps and race.
That’s practice and they are given plenty of testing time unlike NASCAR…………

So if you’re a small team in NASCAR, you can’t test, you can’t get sim time, and you can’t practice!

It blows my mind we’re renovating Phoenix, Richmond, Talladega only to watch them NOT have any use for those garages.

Yeah a lot of asphalt tracks around here give the guys 3-8 laps then q'em and race. Idk...you wan to call a 3-5 minute session of hot laps practice?

Yeah a lot of asphalt tracks around here give the guys 3-8 laps then q'em and race. Idk...you wan to call a 3-5 minute session of hot laps practice?

like I said they’re given hours to test at most tracks I know of

Owners and Nascar decided that this season because of COVID (there is your why) there wasn't going to be practice and qualifying. I guess some missed the memo.
BTW next year there will be practice at the tracks they haven't been to previously.

Owners and Nascar decided that this season because of COVID (there is your why) there wasn't going to be practice and qualifying. I guess some missed the memo.
BTW next year there will be practice at the tracks they haven't been to previously.

Didn’t miss the memo was just curious how many other motorsports are using the COVID excuse for no practice and/or qualfifying.

I noticed a few less campers at LVMS this year. I think it hurts the garage experience, camping experience and gives TV less content to talk about building up to the race and during the race.

It is interesting to me how the racing and attendance faired at Cup races that had practice and qualifying this year………

Didn’t miss the memo was just curious how many other motorsports are using the COVID excuse for no practice and/or qualfifying.

I noticed a few less campers at LVMS this year. I think it hurts the garage experience, camping experience and gives TV less content to talk about building up to the race and during the race.

It is interesting to me how the racing and attendance faired at Cup races that had practice and qualifying this year………
COVID as an excuse? oh now I get where you are coming from.

Um. Last I checked IndyCar, ARCA, Whelen Mod, every other Motorsport had practice and qualifying. But if you like NASCAR putting out an inferior product then so be it.
You missed the memo. Nascar decided at the first of the year to not have practice and qualifying. Only recently for the other series because of relaxed Covid requirements have they been able to do that. People have short memories. Many motorsports were shut down completely, but Nascar's game plan with tight restrictions and lobbying allowed Nascar to continue to race while the other series were shut down. Your idea of an inferior product is yours alone. Some of us believe that Nascar drivers and teams are so good that in most cases for the challenge, practice and qualifying are not needed. So far it has been proven it isn't needed.

You missed the memo. Nascar decided at the first of the year to not have practice and qualifying. Only recently for the other series because of relaxed Covid requirements have they been able to do that. People have short memories. Many motorsports were shut down completely, but Nascar's game plan with tight restrictions and lobbying allowed Nascar to continue to race while the other series were shut down. Your idea of an inferior product is yours alone. Some of us believe that Nascar drivers and teams are so good that in most cases for the challenge, practice and qualifying are not needed. So far it has been proven it isn't needed.

No, I’m not alone in the thinking of practice and qualifying should be back.

It’s funny to me how well people liked Nashville, with ironically, a race with practice AND qualifying.

No, I’m not alone in the thinking of practice and qualifying should be back.

You need to stop acting like you answer for everyone.
Nascar and the owners decided that this year there would be no practice and qualifying. Get over it.

Next year there will be practice ONLY for tracks they haven't been to. Just call it a trend ya don't like and cry away or not, it won't accomplish anything

like I said they’re given hours to test at most tracks I know of
That the team has to pay for. Racing is better without practice anyway.

The RTA had a lot of pull here, they did not want the practice.

Same with Trucks and Xfinity, a lot of owners of smaller teams were ok with no practice. Cup will have practice next season, however I'am curious about Xfinity and Trucks. Not a lot has been said about them.

The RTA had a lot of pull here, they did not want the practice.

Same with Trucks and Xfinity, a lot of owners of smaller teams were ok with no practice. Cup will have practice next season, however I'am curious about Xfinity and Trucks. Not a lot has been said about them.
They say more practice and qualifying next year because of the new car, but yeah I've been wondering about Xfinity and the Trucks also.

But hey at least these new track/garage renovations aren’t taxpayer funded. Lol

They usually get about 20 laps of practice each race. I mean they typically throw a "competition caution" around that time. Teams come in and make necessary adjustments after that

There are/ were 8 practice and qualifying tracks this year out of the 36. In almost every case it was because they haven't been there before

Feb. 14: Daytona 500

March 28: Bristol dirt race

May 23: Circuit of the Americas

May 30: Coca-Cola 600

June 20: Nashville

July 4: Road America

Aug. 15: Indianapolis road course

Nov. 7: Phoenix

Hot laps is pretty much the same thing as practice lol.
It really isn't. What you want is hours of practice for them to do hours of changes to a car and that makes worse racing.

It really isn't. What you want is hours of practice for them to do hours of changes to a car and that makes worse racing.

Clearly you didn’t read what I said. I said an hour of practice and maybe a 15-30 minute shakedown.

But hey I’m sure Ms. Coors Light in the camping lot is gonna put on a show instead while there’s no at track content.

What is the point of Talladega and Richmond renovating their garage again?

what is the problem there?

Why are they wasting money on amenities that aren’t being used? I guess we like to watch them thru tech instead of seeing them, you know, practice and make adjustments in the garage?

Why are they wasting money on amenities that aren’t being used? I guess we like to watch them thru tech instead of seeing them, you know, practice and make adjustments in the garage?
Both of these renovations were planned and built before COVID restrictions. SMH. They are being used today. WTF

If you're worried about entertainment I think most fans would rather watch a lower series race than watch guys working on cars in the garage.

Both of these renovations were planned and built before COVID restrictions. SMH. They are being used today. WTF

Oh so this lack of practice and qualifying IS a Covid excuse.

And while you’re pulling the SMH act, when’s the last time you’ve been to a race and been in the garage?

There is no use for these fan garages when you can’t even watch them practice and qualify for the top 3, that’s my point! They need something for people to talk about besides what they had for dinner!

If you're worried about entertainment I think most fans would rather watch a lower series race than watch guys working on cars in the garage.
I can't remember the Covid restrictions for the various states this year or last, so it depends on that if fans have access to ANY infield garage recently.

Oh so this lack of practice and qualifying IS a Covid excuse.

And while you’re pulling the SMH act, when’s the last time you’ve been to a race and been in the garage?

There is no use for these fan garages when you can’t even watch them practice and qualify for the top 3, that’s my point! They need something for people to talk about besides what they had for dinner!
like a dog chasing his tail, too dizzy to comprehend it is a temporary thing. The garage is important to a small number of people. More important are drinks and concessions of which there are plenty in the infields of these newly remodeled facilities.

like a dog chasing his tail, too dizzy to comprehend it is a temporary thing. The garage is important to a small number of people. More important are drinks and concessions of which there are plenty in the infields of these newly remodeled facilities.

You refuse to answer when you’ve ever been out to these tracks and take a look for it yourself.

I totally disagree, everyone is at least interested in being in the garage LOL.

Back
Top Bottom