How many other motorsports have no practice sessions?

When was the last time you paid overhead expenses with monopoly money?

Lol. You can blast me for my future opinion all you want but at least I make an effort to get out to the facility instead of yelling at the TV.

Lol. You can blast me for my future opinion all you want but at least I make an effort to get out to the facility instead of yelling at the TV.
I’m not blasting you, just pointing out a reason why practice cant be like it used to be. Revenues aren’t the same and practice sessions are certainly not profit centers.

I’m not blasting you, just pointing out a reason why practice cant be like it used to be. Revenues aren’t the same and practice sessions are certainly not profit centers.

Like I said they don’t need 3-4 hours besides maybe the 500 lol. But I think an hour of practice and a qualifying session maybe on Saturday’s now is able to be the happy medium IMO. Or whatever, 2 day shows might be the way to go tbh.

Like I said they don’t need 3-4 hours besides maybe the 500 lol. But I think an hour of practice and a qualifying session maybe on Saturday’s now is able to be the happy medium IMO. Or whatever, 2 day shows might be the way to go tbh.
Look forward to Phoenix. There will be practice and qualifying there.

Doesn't bother me much. I'd definitely like to see qualifying return....This stupid system they have now is similar to that rule where the previous title holder got the first pit selection EVERY race.

No practice definitely gives the excuse makers excuses for their performance or lack of.

No practice definitely gives the excuse makers excuses for their performance or lack of.

They should give an award out to the engineers and manufacturers who do best with the sim time. Forget the CC’s who adjust on the car well on Friday’s & Saturday’s.

I do not go to a lot of races every year, but, I do go to some. One of the things my Wife and I enjoy is going to the practices and qualifying, has it kept us from attending because of no practice or qualifying, no. Like I said we don't go to a lot live, but, when we do, we go early and have a large time.

A lot of angst.

All of it unnecessary. They race and we watch. That's how it works.

A lot of angst.

All of it unnecessary. They race and we watch. That's how it works.

So F1 having practice and qualifying is unnecessary?

At least we can admit NASCAR cares much more about entertaining TV than anything else. And boy could TV have more content to grasp from.

The amount of engineering they put into these cars is something unreal.

If you're worried about entertainment I think most fans would rather watch a lower series race than watch guys working on cars in the garage.
can we watch the lower series race from the garage? I kid but I can appreciate both sides of the argument as I have done both in the races I have attended. Watched practice and qualifying from the infield when we bought weekend pit passes at Chicagoland when we used to go. The first couple years of it were pretty awesome, I always thought it was awesome just watching the crews work and set up the cars. I also have bought pit passes for just the Sunday or Saturday of the race and went early to watch the crews set up for a race and catch a glimpse of the NASCAR race day life (have done this at Daytona the 3 times I have gone) . And then I have bought tickets to just the main event itself, left the house, parked and went up to the seats to watch the race while setting up my scanner to wait for the race to start then left as soon as race day ended. I do think the lack of practice this year is not so much a NASCAR issue (them mandating it) but more so attributed to the fact teams wanted this to cut costs because frankly thats the world we live in now. Covid has affected everything, everyone is looking to cut back. I dont think Auz is out of bounds for wanting a 1 hr practice session and a qualifying session for a weekend, I too want the same thing. Unfortunately I dont write the checks so what I want is irrelevant at the end of the day but I do think there is some value for people driving into a track for the weekend to have as much on track activity as possible whether its two practice sessions on two different days followed by qualifying or lower series races, there might be something there I dont know.

can we watch the lower series race from the garage? I kid but I can appreciate both sides of the argument as I have done both in the races I have attended. Watched practice and qualifying from the infield when we bought weekend pit passes at Chicagoland when we used to go. The first couple years of it were pretty awesome, I always thought it was awesome just watching the crews work and set up the cars. I also have bought pit passes for just the Sunday or Saturday of the race and went early to watch the crews set up for a race and catch a glimpse of the NASCAR race day life (have done this at Daytona the 3 times I have gone) . And then I have bought tickets to just the main event itself, left the house, parked and went up to the seats to watch the race while setting up my scanner to wait for the race to start then left as soon as race day ended. I do think the lack of practice this year is not so much a NASCAR issue (them mandating it) but more so attributed to the fact teams wanted this to cut costs because frankly thats the world we live in now. Covid has affected everything, everyone is looking to cut back. I dont think Auz is out of bounds for wanting a 1 hr practice session and a qualifying session for a weekend, I too want the same thing. Unfortunately I dont write the checks so what I want is irrelevant at the end of the day but I do think there is some value for people driving into a track for the weekend to have as much on track activity as possible whether its two practice sessions on two different days followed by qualifying or lower series races, there might be something there I dont know.

I don’t like Monster but they were a pretty dang good sponsor for the series with the trophy trucks, stunt shows, Monster Energy girls, the UFC fights were a nice preview show.

That kind of content + practice and qualifying makes a big difference.

I think bringing more energy to the at track product with the fans can really help things.

Things can get stale though I guess.

I don’t like Monster but they were a pretty dang good sponsor for the series with the trophy trucks, stunt shows, Monster Energy girls, the UFC fights were a nice preview show.

That kind of content + practice and qualifying makes a big difference.

I think bringing more energy to the at track product with the fans can really help things.

Things can get stale though I guess.
yeah I remember Sprint had some cool booths set up, in fact the Sponsor tents were really fun. They used to give a way free stuff and had games for fans to win swag from said sponsor of driver. The NHRA pits were unrivaled though, the most fan access I ever experienced before I attended the Rolex 24 where you could pretty much walk in front of the garage to watch a team work before the race. I cant imagine that happening to the extent it was in 2005 and on, I am sure sponsors have cut back on their involvement on race day as well with the way the world is now and what it is going through. We always had fun at Cup races before the race started when we had pit passes to get into the garage area. Daytona infield is so amazing, such a nice set up and so many angles/places to watch teams work.

yeah I remember Sprint had some cool booths set up, in fact the Sponsor tents were really fun. They used to give a way free stuff and had games for fans to win swag from said sponsor of driver. The NHRA pits were unrivaled though, the most fan access I ever experienced before I attended the Rolex 24 where you could pretty much walk in front of the garage to watch a team work before the race. I cant imagine that happening to the extent it was in 2005 and on, I am sure sponsors have cut back on their involvement on race day as well with the way the world is now and what it is going through. We always had fun at Cup races before the race started when we had pit passes to get into the garage area. Daytona infield is so amazing, such a nice set up and so many angles/places to watch teams work.

I was quite surprised that Ford had no sponsor activation in Richmond and Chevrolet had no sponsor activation in Las Vegas.

I am glad they brought the trailers back. Kinda like it over the Fanatics tents. Just wish they didn’t get rid of FanVision.

My only qualm with points brought up throughout this is the insinuation that NASCAR and the teams are wrong / dumb for not having practice and qualifying every week. If it the pros outweighed the cons they'd 100% bring it back.

For fan enjoyment I can't deny it takes away from the weekend experience for some. I just watch on Sundays - I never really cared for practice and qualifying storylines but I certainly see the appeal. It adds context to races. I don't blame anybody for missing it, but there isn't really anyone to blame for it not coming back full time.

My only qualm with points brought up throughout this is the insinuation that NASCAR and the teams are wrong / dumb for not having practice and qualifying every week. If it the pros outweighed the cons they'd 100% bring it back.

For fan enjoyment I can't deny it takes away from the weekend experience for some. I just watch on Sundays - I never really cared for practice and qualifying storylines but I certainly see the appeal. It adds context to races. I don't blame anybody for missing it, but there isn't really anyone to blame for it not coming back full time.
See this I can agree with. I get the owner side of it, 100%. Like I do with the charter system as well. But as a FAN I don’t care about any of that. I just want to see teams showing up, putting up fast laps, and seeing where people start. I want the excitement of who may not even make the race. Like I LOVE that. It’s a great part of the race weekend tbh

See this I can agree with. I get the owner side of it, 100%. Like I do with the charter system as well. But as a FAN I don’t care about any of that. I just want to see teams showing up, putting up fast laps, and seeing where people start. I want the excitement of who may not even make the race. Like I LOVE that. It’s a great part of the race weekend tbh
Yeah I'm getting off topic here but it's similar stuff to the LA Coliseum complaints when many on here became all hot and bothered about logistics all the sudden. It's like some dont realize it's fine to just want or not want things based on the entertainment factor and they need some smarter/more logical reason for their stance.

Yeah I'm getting off topic here but it's similar stuff to the LA Coliseum complaints when many on here became all hot and bothered about logistics all the sudden. It's like some dont realize it's fine to just want or not want things based on the entertainment factor and they need some smarter/more logical reason for their stance.

I actually really like the Coliseum race, just wish it was the All-Star race instead

This is well said.

I love the logistics part...I can be there within 45 minutes. :punkrocke

That’s practice and they are given plenty of testing time unlike NASCAR…………

So if you’re a small team in NASCAR, you can’t test, you can’t get sim time, and you can’t practice!

It blows my mind we’re renovating Phoenix, Richmond, Talladega only to watch them NOT have any use for those garages.
Really great points, and I am right with you. Haven't been to a track since COVID, so not sure what the experience is in person, but you are right, I am thinking that the place is pretty sleepy until game day.

Yeah a lot of asphalt tracks around here give the guys 3-8 laps then q'em and race. Idk...you wan to call a 3-5 minute session of hot laps practice?

Do they pay points for hot laps for NE short track or dirt tracks?

Uh for hot laps no? Nor does Nascar at the national level.

What's your point? I'm not trying to be snide here...

My point is they’re given time to adjust OR/AND get experience with the racing conditions………. something they are NOT allowed in the top 3.

Not that any of the top Cup drivers need it with this hold it to the floorboard package.

My point is they’re given time to adjust OR/AND get experience with the racing conditions………. something they are NOT allowed in the top 3.

Not that any of the top Cup drivers need it with this hold it to the floorboard package.

I'm losing you. You asked if they pay points. What does adjusting the car in practice have to do with points?

It's no secret a lot of the teams were on board with the no practice and no qualifying for cost savings. But I also wonder if they are having a problem with the Nations supply problem like the NHRA teams are having? That could be another reason for the lack of practice and qualifying. I haven't seen any articles about the NASCAR teams but here is one about the drag racing teams.

It's no secret a lot of the teams were on board with the no practice and no qualifying for cost savings. But I also wonder if they are having a problem with the Nations supply problem like the NHRA teams are having? That could be another reason for the lack of practice and qualifying. I haven't seen any articles about the NASCAR teams but here is one about the drag racing teams.
There has been rumors of new car shortages :idunno:but I would think there would be more about it by now if it was so

Didn't you go off on this last week in the Silly Season thread? Or maybe the New Car thread? Or was it the Schedule Changes one? Or maybe it was all three?

Lol at anyone that thinks they can tell the difference in a race with practice vs one without.

Lol at anyone that thinks they can tell the difference in a race with practice vs one without.

It doesn’t matter the difference, every single Motorsport AND series that goes on about PLAYOFFS has PRACTICE! Quit with the condescending “lol” crap

It doesn’t matter the difference, every single Motorsport AND series that goes on about PLAYOFFS has PRACTICE! Quit with the condescending “lol” crap
Well then what was the “inferior product” comment about?

So this isn’t a real sport with PLAYOFFS PLAYOFFS PLAYOFFS, got it. Let’s go practice on the interstate.
You can go practice wherever you'd like.

The accountants are thrilled ... you're not, as demonstrated by your current total of 29 posts in this (your) thread.

Back
Top Bottom