How should NASCAR fix the plate races?

K

KingGlamis

Personally I love Daytona and Talladega, but the racing has to be fixed. I think NASCAR should do "something" that makes the drivers have to slow in the corners like they have to on most other tracks. Perhaps make the rear spoiler a lot smaller so they don't have as much rear grip?

What are your ideas?

They could always bring back the no bump drafting in the corners rule.
It seems that tandem racing started with the boys have at it thing.

There's no "safe" way to fix it.

Removing/reducing spoilers will cause crashes

restrictor plates cause big unknowns

smaller throttle bodies will be similar to a plate

Reducing throttle in relation to lateral G's would require a fly-by-wire system

Using a rediculously high gear ratio + gear rule (say a mandated 1:1 high gear, mandated subsequent gears, and a 2.80 or 2.50 rear gear) with a large-normal spoiler would be interesting, to mechanically slow the cars down (and make it so they couldn't just run around in 2nd or 3rd) might be the best option?

The drag would overcome the power of the motor, thus hitting the proverbial mechanical speed (drag) limit, terminal velocity. But They would still have full power for restarts and having to pedal in a pack.

Roof wicker and lose the spoiler and splitter. Then, make the bumpers NOT match up.

Un-restrict the engines and give the drivers lower downforce and lower grip.
Force them to lift off the throttle when entering the turns.
This would separate the field and allow the drivers who have the better "handle" to excell.

This can be achieved by reducing spoiler and splitter influence (size) and introducing a MUCH harder tire (think bowling ball rubber).

By reducing grip and reducing downforce, drivers would not be able to floor it for 500 miles, and they would not all be going the same speed.

Or just fill the places with water and stock them with large mouth bass...

JOONYER would cry all the way to the bank - but I don't give a hot flying frak - cause what we witnessed today was a fraking joke.

It doesn't need fixed, only the fans need fixed because nothing they do will make you happy.

It doesn't need fixed, only the fans need fixed because nothing they do will make you happy.

I think you're closest to calling this one correctly.

This two car tandem thing will evolve just like restrictor plate racing already has over the years. Things change. In 2013 the new body style will be implemented. That will more than likely be the end of what we are seeing now. Until then I can't see them making any drastic changes to today's car to prevent the type of drafting that we're seeing. If you were following last weeks EFI testing you'd already know that they were trying a smaller spoiler to see if it could break up the cars a little more. They are thinking of implementing it for Daytona in 2012 although I don't think that they got the results that they were looking for.

IMHO NASCAR needs to ban bump drafting and tandem racing needs to be outlawed, it is totally unfair. A single driver may be the better driver but take two good drivers tandem racing and he looses, either make certain races tandem specific or ban it, anymore most races look like semi's running down the track.

Bulldoze Talladega and Daytona

My 4 favourite races!...I love RP racing on the superspeedways.
It a part of Cup racing just like the 2 road courses , short tracks and cookie cutters et al.

The 2 car draft or pack racing for that matter add an extra element of excitement IMO

I want a high banked Martinsville. Same tight turns and straights, just bank the turns and lose the curbs.

My 4 favourite races!...I love RP racing on the superspeedways.
It a part of Cup racing just like the 2 road courses , short tracks and cookie cutters et al.

The 2 car draft or pack racing for that matter add an extra element of excitement IMO

:beerbang:

different strokes for different folks.

i know my reasons for hating rp races. just don't understand why people like them.

I like it because it's different from the week to week 1.5 mile races.

I find it curious that almost every driver dislikes plate racing until they get into the broadcast booth :confused:

A high bank Martinsville sounds like a cautionfest. :eek:

It was a joke, since Talladega fans seem to want to go back to the days of 'the big one'. Now I know why I used to hate Talladega. I didn't realize I was supposed to enjoy a wreckfest.

I would like to see something done about the conveyor belt racing at Martinsville. A little bit of extra banking up high and a vacuum truck cleaning the high line during every caution could make for better racing.

I find it curious that almost every driver dislikes plate racing until they get into the broadcast booth :confused:

I guess it proves a big check will get people to say almost anything.

I would like to see something done about the conveyor belt racing at Martinsville. A little bit of extra banking up high and a vacuum truck cleaning the high line during every caution could make for better racing.

Conveyor belt racing. That's a shame if that is what you see watching it on television because that is far from the experience @ the track. That track puts on one of the best races of the season that is far from follow the leader. They may have had some issues immediately after the last repave, as all tracks do, but this track is now wore in and has been producing great racing IMO.

Conveyor belt racing. That's a shame if that is what you see watching it on television because that is far from the experience @ the track. That track puts on one of the best races of the season that is far from follow the leader. They may have had some issues immediately after the last repave, as all tracks do, but this track is now wore in and has been producing great racing IMO.

Huh? I do enjoy the race, but the frustration is the lack of a competitive high line, and that helps create the conveyor effect along with the bumper to bumper lines of cars. Someone gets under you and you get moved up. You have no room to drop back into the low line, so you slide back until you do, usually losing 15 to 20 spots. Then you start working your way back to the front. Conveyor belt.

I just think that agressive banking in the high line will allow teams to choose a setup that works in one or the other, and that would change the formula just enough to liven things up.

This is the "Plate Racing Complaint Thread" you'll have to start a new thread if you want to complain about short track racing :mad:

As far as Talladega goes.....

Stop the radio communication between the cars. Do any of you out there listen to the in-car radio all race long? Not just the selected crap that ESPN plays for you. I'm talking about with NASCAR.com's scanner feeds or DirecTV's dedicated channels. I don't know how they would be able to maintain that two by two stuff with the aid of the spotters alone. The communication between drivers is what makes that possible. I think it would be next to impossible for them to run like they do if you stopped the between car communication.

EFI is not going to do anything to change this type of racing as proved during last weeks EFI testing @ Talladega.

Bumpers lining up doesn't seem to matter. The Truck race showed us that. They are nowhere close to each other yet some were able to stay together.

Put a stock nose piece on the car, no valance, no splitter. Air under the car will slow them down. Cut down the rear spoiler so the guy behind can 'see thru' the car in front of him ala the old days and hopefully have that extra split second and avoid the wreck in front.

Is foot to the floor for 500 miles really racing or a test of engine builders? Is having another car push a test of the best aero combo?

What's wrong with going down the straights like a cat doused in kerosine(sorry cat lovers, just a expression) then using the brakes to negociate the corners???

Oh, and get rid of the gd plate.

Huh? I do enjoy the race, but the frustration is the lack of a competitive high line, and that helps create the conveyor effect along with the bumper to bumper lines of cars. Someone gets under you and you get moved up. You have no room to drop back into the low line, so you slide back until you do, usually losing 15 to 20 spots. Then you start working your way back to the front. Conveyor belt.

I just think that agressive banking in the high line will allow teams to choose a setup that works in one or the other, and that would change the formula just enough to liven things up.

We already ruined Bristol with that.

Back
Top Bottom