How to gain attendance...

Why don't more tracks reach out to former ticket holders with sweet deals to try and get them back? My family attended every Cup race at Dover from September 1990 until September 2010. Why the hell would the track not try to reach out to us in an attempt to lure us back? They need all the help they can get with attendance.

Every track out there should get in contact with former ticket holders with enticing incentives to get them back. I promise you a 1 time 2 for $50 or 4/$100 dollar ticket deal would get us back to Dover in the fall. Which in turn could very well get us back next June at a higher but fair price.

Hell, we've been ticket holders at Pocono for over 30 consecutive years.

Charlotte calls me numerous times every year, almost to the point of annoyance. And I don't even go to both races, only the 600. I went to Darlington last year for the first time and I am always getting reminder emails from them.

The point about fringe fans is another thing I thought of regarding baseball vs NASCAR.

I'm only 24. When I was in middle school growing up, I remember kids going to Yankees and Red Sox games fairly regularly. Not everybody was even a hardcore baseball fan, but even the average person just wants to go to Fenway or Yankee Stadium if given the chance. It feels special.

With NASCAR that casual base isn't there and nobody wants to go to Dover for the day just so say they did. I think between ticket prices and the other points I made in the OP it just doesn't make sense to them. Sitting on a bleacher seat all day in the sun with a headset on is a pretty hardcore thing to do when you think about it. You have to already get the sport to be willing to do that. With baseball (or whatever) it's an "easier" experience because you can still enjoy the time with your friends throughout the whole event.

We all know NASCAR has abandoned the core fan enough, so I don't know what the answer is. But I think NASCAR has to get off the fence in this regard. Cater to the hardcore and listen to the longterm fans (tons of which have already left though...) or make it align more with stick and ball and be more casual. Right now is a weird in-between where basically nobody fits and thus everybody is alienated. Hence the low TV ratings and empty stands.

The point about fringe fans is another thing I thought of regarding baseball vs NASCAR.

I'm only 24. When I was in middle school growing up, I remember kids going to Yankees and Red Sox games fairly regularly. Not everybody was even a hardcore baseball fan, but even the average person just wants to go to Fenway or Yankee Stadium if given the chance. It feels special.

With NASCAR that casual base isn't there and nobody wants to go to Dover for the day just so say they did. I think between ticket prices and the other points I made in the OP it just doesn't make sense to them. Sitting on a bleacher seat all day in the sun with a headset on is a pretty hardcore thing to do when you think about it. You have to already get the sport to be willing to do that. With baseball (or whatever) it's an "easier" experience because you can still enjoy the time with your friends throughout the whole event.

We all know NASCAR has abandoned the core fan enough, so I don't know what the answer is. But I think NASCAR has to get off the fence in this regard. Cater to the hardcore and listen to the longterm fans (tons of which have already left though...) or make it align more with stick and ball and be more casual. Right now is a weird in-between where basically nobody fits and thus everybody is alienated. Hence the low TV ratings and empty stands.
Pretty good assessment , this from someone who was a fan when you were born.:cheers:

[QUOTE="AdoubleU24, post: 975847, member: 8781"
The noise at Bristol was unlike anything I've ever heard, could not speak to the person I was with until a caution flew, but I was so in awe of being there that I didn't even care. Martinsville I didn't find to be all that bad, probably due to the lower speeds and sitting up a littler higher. I think you may have just had a one-off bad experience. I say give it another go at a larger track with nicer facilities.[/QUOTE]

I couldn't even hear my scanner let alone talk to anyone at Bristol because of how loud it was. That being said it was still an awesome race and experience.It didn't hurt either that Jimmy Spencer won the Busch race.:D

When I host anyone from out of town or out of country they always want to go to Wrigleyville and to Wrigley to see a Cubs game as that area and stadium is a destination. It doesn't matter if you don't know which end of the bat to hold or have ever or will ever see a ballgame again. Even going to a place like Camden Yards is cool and watching the Yanks or going to Fenway are institutional things you must do. Many college football stadiums and the area surrounding them are almost hallowed ground dripping with decades long traditions and lore that even a non fan can get into for a weekend.

About the only track that I am aware of (there may be others) that is a true destination spot is IMS and that is because of its age and open wheel racing not because of Nascar. The Nascar HOF in Charlotte is hemorrhaging money and will likely have to move or be scuttled at some point so there is much work to be done if Nascar is ever to become more than what it is now.

[QUOTE="AdoubleU24, post: 975847, member: 8781"
The noise at Bristol was unlike anything I've ever heard, could not speak to the person I was with until a caution flew, but I was so in awe of being there that I didn't even care. Martinsville I didn't find to be all that bad, probably due to the lower speeds and sitting up a littler higher. I think you may have just had a one-off bad experience. I say give it another go at a larger track with nicer facilities.

I couldn't even hear my scanner let alone talk to anyone at Bristol because of how loud it was. That being said it was still an awesome race and experience.It didn't hurt either that Jimmy Spencer won the Busch race.:D[/QUOTE]

I always found Bristol to be very loud but with out earplugs after a lap or 2 the noise was like a loud ringing.

Motorsports is not for everyone. That is OK. I dislike basketball. That's OK too.

Back
Top Bottom