How would you feel about Tony Stewart in control of NASCAR?

My thoughts exactly.

NASCAR is an organization with with many moving pieces as it is not just a sport but also a business. Yeah these are 40 of the best drivers in the world each week out there but none of them could do their own taxes, read a financial statement, or speak to shareholders on a conference call.

I'd bet the CEO of Nestle hasn't made a chocolate bar in his/her life, the big tech CEO's aren't involved in the development of their products, and whoever the hell owns GM/Toyota/whoever certainly isn't the best driver in the world.
So, Director of Competition?

NASCAR has three huge problems to overcome.1. Aero has killed the racing at 1+ mile tracks. 2. They’re heavily invested in 1.5 mile tracks, to the point walking away from them will pretty much kill the sport and anyone that has anything invested in it. 3. Television companies way overpaid for a product that was destined to implode due to awful investments.

So unless tony Stewart can magically write off billions in toxic debts and land deals, accept deep cuts from the tv revenue, and bring the sport home to the short tracks of the southeast. All you’re accomplishing is finding a new figurehead to blame for the same problems.
Well, regarding land deals, I'm sure one of the first things on his list is getting Talladega off the schedule. :D

I don’t think this would be such a great idea. I know that Tony has been OK in this capacity on lower levels, but running the Cup series would be an entirely different animal. Also, regardless of one’s opinion on the matter, there’s the elephant in the room about what happened on August 9, 2014. I don’t know if NASCAR would want someone with that type of baggage representing the sport on that high a level, that could be a PR nightmare. To some people not familiar with the sport, that’s literally the only thing they know Tony Stewart for.

I don’t think this would be such a great idea. I know that Tony has been OK in this capacity on lower levels, but running the Cup series would be an entirely different animal. Also, regardless of one’s opinion on the matter, there’s the elephant in the room about what happened on August 9, 2014. I don’t know if NASCAR would want someone with that type of baggage representing the sport on that high a level, that could be a PR nightmare. To some people not familiar with the sport, that’s literally the only thing they know Tony Stewart for.

After what happened to Brian France on August 5, 2019, I feel like your argument lost all credibility as a valid reason not to be in-charge...

After what happened to Brian France on August 5, 2019, I feel like your argument lost all credibility as a valid reason not to be in-charge...
I don’t know if this analogy entirely applies. As @Stu Jameson alluded to, Brian France was removed from his position after that happened, so it’s not exactly the same thing.

I’m not piling on Tony here, I think most of us here know the whole story of what happened that night. I’m just saying that to a person not real familiar with racing, if they see a headline that Tony has been put in charge, they’ll probably be like “he’s the guy that ran over that kid that night isn’t he? He’s in charge of NASCAR now?” I’m also pretty sure the mainstream media would have the same reaction, that is if the irresponsible reporting that went on following that incident is any indication. I’m just not sure that’s the look NASCAR wants to go for if they’re trying to attract new fans to the sport.

Back
Top Bottom