Hurricane Irma

get the tree down before it comes down on it's own. Quit buying water and use what's in your taps already. A clean garbage bag lining your empty bin is as clean as any bottle and will hold many gallons.
It's hard to carry one of those with you if you have to leave. I believe in being over prepared. I have enough bottled/gallon jugs of drinking water to last us for a couple of months. Under prepared often means disaster in and after a major hurricane. We fill the bathtubs and sinks, trashcans with liners and whatever else we can. But that water is for sanitary use. Baths, after hurricane cleanups etc.

Reactions: Pat
The latest from NOAA, this thing is a Monster! Looks like an "Hurricane Andrew" class storm.

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/text/refresh/MIATCPAT1+shtml/051742.shtml

I live dead in the middle of the Florida peninsula on high ground, 80 miles to the east the Atlantic, 80 Miles to the west the Gulf, 160 Miles to Homestead and 185 miles to the Georgia line. we are prepping now.

Thing isn't moving very fast 14mph. I would think right now it is about anybodies guess where it would head. they missed the last one pretty badly calling for Corpus and it spun up and nailed Houston. I wouldn't put too much into early predictions and make my decisions on the safe when it gets closer if it was me.

The latest from NOAA, this thing is a Monster! Looks like an "Hurricane Andrew" class storm.

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/text/refresh/MIATCPAT1+shtml/051742.shtml

I live dead in the middle of the Florida peninsula on high ground, 80 miles to the east the Atlantic, 80 Miles to the west the Gulf, 160 Miles to Homestead and 185 miles to the Georgia line. we are prepping now.
I don't think anyone in Florida is totally safe from this storm --- maybe if you live in a bunker and have supplies for a long while.

Thing isn't moving very fast 14mph. I would think right now it is about anybodies guess where it would head. they missed the last one pretty badly calling for Corpus and it spun up and nailed Houston. I wouldn't put too much into early predictions and make my decisions on the safe when it gets closer if it was me.

To be fair, they were always concerned about Houston and the flooding. They said before Hurricane Harvey became a major hurricane that it would be an epic flood event, and even after it became a category four storm, they said the real story would be the flooding and the duration of the storm.

The upper air currents are NOT in our favor at this time and the spaghetti models from EU and USA are very close to one another, plus the size and intensity of this thing. I have been through 5 Hurricaines in Florida, some worse than others and there is nothing I am doing that cannot be used even if the storm (hopefully) misses us.

If it lands well organized at 185 MPH winds, which means cat 1 and 2 winds at 120 to 150 miles from the eye, Lord help all in the path.

The upper air currents are NOT in our favor at this time and the spaghetti models from EU and USA are very close to one another, plus the size and intensity of this thing. I have been through 5 Hurricaines in Florida, some worse than others and there is nothing I am doing that cannot be used even if the storm (hopefully) misses us.

If it lands well organized at 185 MPH winds, which means cat 1 and 2 winds at 120 to 150 miles from the eye, Lord help all in the path.

yeah I would believe the models, but also not believe them if I was anywhere's close to the path if that makes any sense. Houston was well over 200 miles away from landfall

Along with water, I would save some battery powered battery chargers for the smartphones. Imagine going through the ordeal without being able to post here at RF.
I would also ensure that I had a SD card loaded with images that might come in handy during the leanest times.

feel bad for anyone in the way of this monster. this is just crazy 2 hits in a row and possibly a 3rd on the way.

People ask me very often why I live in WI..Feel pretty safe here

Along with water, I would save some battery powered battery chargers for the smartphones. Imagine going through the ordeal without being able to post here at RF.
I would also ensure that I had a SD card loaded with images that might come in handy during the leanest times.

I'm charging everything now, I have a couple of portable chargers as well.

I want to leave, but I have too much family down here to just leave. Not to mention when duty will possibly call, I'm a worried mess right now about the rest of the family...

Was just looking at these two storms side by side. I wonder how often you have a cat 5 storm closely followed by another storm? Right now Tropical Storm Jose is just that..... a tropical storm. Looking at it gaining strength so quickly I'd wonder if it would have any effect on Hurricane Irma? Just thinking out loud as I don't know what the heck I'm talking about anyhow.

Untitled.jpg

All bets are off till Irma hits the super warm waters of the Gulf Stream just off the coast of Fla.

From the two maps above I would say that Irma is steering Jose away, a good thing for sure.

gulf_stream_map1358376626473.jpg

Both Homestead-Miami Speedway and Daytona International Speedway are securing their facilities in preparation for Hurricane Irma. At Homestead, scheduled to play host to the NASCAR championship weekend Nov. 17-19, that includes putting up shutters, taking down canvas and awnings, and storing items such as banners from the leaderboard, garbage cans and temporary bleachers.
http://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=21-0697144824452620159-4

In Virginia and trying the figure out if I should be worried. My anxiety is on 9.5/10.

We are still heading to Assateague Island as planned. We made the reservations a year ago. The weather forecast is calling for Tropical Storm Irma related winds/rain. I figure if it is to get bad there at all, they'll have us leave. We'll have our RV in tow so we can go just about anywhere.

I've got 2 friends who are in Miami, another over in Bonita Springs. Niece just moved to Clearwater, haven't heard from any of them. The Whiz is going to be Ok. Relatives in Pensacola should be also.

Back
Top Bottom