I need a hat, a chain for my wallet & a can of snuff.

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by dpkimmel2001, Mar 5, 2019.

1. sdj

sdj Just a race fan

I have crossed into Canada many times, how is the boarder crossing in and out of Canada for a big rig like yours?

2. dpkimmel2001

dpkimmel2001 Team Owner

I think it all depends on where you cross. I normally go to Toronto using the Peace Bridge Crossing. In to Canada, no big deal. Coming back into the US with the tanker..... That's a different story. They x-ray the entire truck to make sure it's empty and that I'm not transporting anything.

This mornings crossing into Canada was simple but I was the only one in line at 430am. I crossed @ Alexandria Bay. That was my first time through there so I'm not sure what to expect when I head back today.

I can tell you that information had to be filed by both the Shipper and Carrier online. I don't get involved with that end of it but as a result of their efforts, I'm given a slew of paperwork that I have to hand over both coming and going. They have to verify everything is in order.

My experiences have yielded that the Canada Border Patrol workers are friendly. The US on the other hand..... Well, They're mostly aholes.

Michfan and Clutch like this.
  3. Nitro Dude

Nitro Dude Hauler Driver and Cylinder Head Maintenance

I have not been in Canada in a few years but in the late seventies when I was in my early 20's I had a couple of trucks and I use to haul a lot of produce from Florida to the Toronto produce terminal. The rates were pretty good going into Canada because no one wanted to deal with the border. But, as long as all your paper work was in order there were no problems getting in, and getting back in the United States was even easier with and empty trailer. I loved going there because the people were very friendly and there was a lot to do in downtown Toronto. I would back into the dock and then jump on a train to go down town and check into a hotel. I remember I use to go to this bar up in the top of the CN Tower which eventually turned into a disco club.:) My one trip to Montreal was not as exciting. Back then if you were an independent hauler you could not haul your loaded trailer across the border but you could bobtail or pull your empty trailer out of the country. I hired a trucking company at the border to pull my trailer in to Montreal and then they were suppose to get it unloaded and then bring it back that night. Well things didn't go as planned. Their truck came back without my trailer and the driver said the trailer wouldn't be empty until the next day and they would call me at my hotel when it was empty. The next day I waited patiently until they called me in the afternoon and said the load was still not unloaded and it would be the next day. So I spent another night in my hotel and then the next day I called the produce market myself and they said it would probably be at least 1 to 2 more days before they could unload my trailer. Now my patients had run out because I realized they were using my trailer for storage until they needed the product. I checked out of my room and stopped by and paid the bill at the trucking company and then hauled ass to Montreal. When I got there the first thing I noticed is that some one stole my spare tire out of the tire rack so I hooked up to the trailer and then went and found a pay phone and called the broker and told him that if he didn't get these crooks to unload my trailer that I was going to pull away from the dock and unload it myself in their parking lot but that trailer was leaving Canada that day no matter what. Within an hour they were unloading my trailer and I was back in the United States before dark. Never went back to Montreal ever again.

sdj and StandOnIt like this.
  4. Clutch

Clutch Team Owner

Never trust them Kebeckers

Nitro Dude likes this.
  5. dpkimmel2001

dpkimmel2001 Team Owner

The Alexandria Bay Crossing was not all that much of a process. Not like the Peace Bridge, that's for sure. Nothing more than a question and answer session followed by a $13.40 fee. Gotta pay to get back in. :eek:

They are reworking the infrastructure at the Alexandria Bay Crossing. I'm guessing wherever the are doing will eventually turn into more of a process to get back into the US.

Nitro Dude likes this.
  6. StandOnIt

StandOnIt Farm Truck

You don't want to let your trailer go over the border in Mexico. Many stories of only having enough tires left for it to roll, the lights are gone, and they even take the washers for the air line hookups.

Nitro Dude likes this.
  7. sdj

sdj Just a race fan

This has been my experience as well.

8. Michfan

Michfan Team Owner

Yeah, I just went to Canada last night to watch a movie because we don't have a theater on our side. The Canadian border guys always chat you up, but the USA guys are interrogating you. It's like chill out man I live in the same fuking town as you.

DanicaFreak and dpkimmel2001 like this.
  9. dpkimmel2001

dpkimmel2001 Team Owner

Heading out to Indiana today. I think I'm going to get lucky with the road conditions but the temps aren't looking great. It's too be 14 degrees overnight. Not crazy cold as far as the depths of winter goes but we're only just starting out. Big change considering it was 60 degrees yesterday afternoon.

10. Nitro Dude

Nitro Dude Hauler Driver and Cylinder Head Maintenance

Stay warm dpk. I went to Fontana today and got the hauler washed and now I'm at the racetrack in stacking in Pomona Ca waiting to pit tomorrow afternoon. The weather is suppose to be between 75 and 85 this week.

dpkimmel2001 likes this.
  11. dpkimmel2001

dpkimmel2001 Team Owner

Looks like it got down to about 15 degrees last night here in southern Indiana. The product that I'm hauling was loaded in a triple compartment trailer at 100 degrees yesterday morning at 9am. All three compartments are sitting at 95 degrees this morning. I'm delivering at 8am Central. I don't expect the product temp to fall much more. My concern leading into this trip was the reduction in temperature as this product tends to get very thick around 40 degrees. I couldn't hook it up to my in in-transit heat because it would be too hot. It's supposed to deliver between 80-100 degrees.

Made the right choice.....

So, on Monday I was given a choice from three different loads. The one I took to Indiana, one to Detroit and another to East Stroudsburg. The latter two either going west or East on I80. I'm seeing in the news this morning that I80 ended up getting shut down in both directions yesterday because of weather related accidents. I got lucky. I was traveling west through Pennsylvania, Ohio, Kentucky and Indiana all South of the affected areas. My foot was to the floor almost all day long. I was able to load and travel 585 miles leaving me less than 30 minutes on my driving and 14 hour clocks. Today is going to be similar as I'll be unloading and heading east through mostly the same route. I hate racing the clock. The clock normally wins.

12. dpkimmel2001

dpkimmel2001 Team Owner

Not a hint inside of this truck as to how cold the outside temps were last night. As long as this truck is running, temps are good. For that reason alone I plan on topping off my tanks every time I get down to half empty. Never know when I'm going to get stranded somewhere with no access to fuel.

sdj likes this.
  13. sdj

sdj Just a race fan

I have been doing this for a long time for the same reason.:punkrocke