I need a hat, a chain for my wallet & a can of snuff.

Had to stop short of Saskatoon today. Fuel starting to gel. Spent most of the day in the -20's range. Seems like no amount of antigel is enough to do the job. Going to try to make Saskatoon tomorrow morning. I'll throw in a container of diesel 911 & antigel to hopefully make the next 77 miles to a Peterbilt dealer for service.

In the meantime, it's time for some NFL playoff action. Go Steelers! Gonna need a miracle today.

-25F this buff l morning

IMG_4562.jpeg

I slipped some cardboard snatched from the truck stop dumpster and made an impromptu winter cover for my radiator when I was in blizzard conditions. Slipped it in between my intercooler and the radiator. It brought my engine temps up and my heater started working. I was about frozen whew.

After I get to Chicago early this am, I'm heading to St. Thomas Quebec. A little north of Montreal.
Do you bid for these northern runs or just the luck of the draw? Seems like you get to cross the border a lot. Is that by design? I jus shudder thinking about a break down but as mentioned, you have extra clothing and good cell service. along those winter routes. You must be getting a break fairly soon.

Do you bid for these northern runs or just the luck of the draw? Seems like you get to cross the border a lot. Is that by design? I jus shudder thinking about a break down but as mentioned, you have extra clothing and good cell service. along those winter routes. You must be getting a break fairly soon.
I take whatever's sent my way. I do cross the border a lot. Get paid more for doing so. It's not bad up here other than the Toronto area. Traffic is horrible there. I'll be going through there the middle of tonight so I should breeze on through.

Back home either this Thursday or Friday.

Delivered north of Montreal this morning. Headed to a tankwash in Montreal later tonight to have this empty trailer cleaned. Then, I'm heading a little west to Morrisburg Ontario to have the trailer loaded with another product. I'll be running that load down to Swedesboro, NJ.

We'll see how well this Montreal tankwash goes. Hardly anyone speaks English around here. Tough to communicate.

Delivered north of Montreal this morning. Headed to a tankwash in Montreal later tonight to have this empty trailer cleaned. Then, I'm heading a little west to Morrisburg Ontario to have the trailer loaded with another product. I'll be running that load down to Swedesboro, NJ.

We'll see how well this Montreal tankwash goes. Hardly anyone speaks English around here. Tough to communicate.
What do they speak?

And, just like that, things change again. The local tankwash is not able to clean my trailer properly. Now I have to go 6 1/2 hrs west, to the other side of Toronto, to have this trailer cleaned. Liable to be a longer commute as weather is not so good along my new route. Probably going to be a long night. I don't like driving empty under those conditions.

Finally finishing up this stint today. Just doing a single preload, dropping it off at the local yard in the Pittsburgh PA area. Been out since the 2nd of January. 12,722 miles later I'm ready to call it a month.

501.3 running hrs
2,136.7 gallons fuel
217.9 hrs driving
7.2 mpg
60mph avg speed

Had to idle a lot this month with the extremely cold temps.

277.6 hrs idle time
173.0 gallons fuel

My truck gives me far more detail than this but you get the idea of what a months worth of driving entails.

Going to go for that preload now. Back out next Tuesday.

Finally finishing up this stint today. Just doing a single preload, dropping it off at the local yard in the Pittsburgh PA area. Been out since the 2nd of January. 12,722 miles later I'm ready to call it a month.

501.3 running hrs
2,136.7 gallons fuel
217.9 hrs driving
7.2 mpg
60mph avg speed

Had to idle a lot this month with the extremely cold temps.

277.6 hrs idle time
173.0 gallons fuel

My truck gives me far more detail than this but you get the idea of what a months worth of driving entails.

Going to go for that preload now. Back out next Tuesday.
Just in time for the playoffs

Headed over here a little early to get loaded but as it normally goes here, they're running behind.

A little tough to see but this pic is near my loading point just down river from Pittsburgh.....

IMG_4595.jpeg

This place really sucks to load at. The layout of this plant was built for rigs smaller than what are on the road today. Tight streets to navigate through McKees Rocks. Once you get in the plant it's very hard to back into your loading position. Seven bays. I'm waiting to pull into bay #4 when the guy ahead of me is done. There's someone in bay #3 making my entry even harder. Of all the places I've loaded at, this is the worst.

I've got to pull into the spot that red Kenworth is in.

IMG_4596.jpeg

That's a long time to be living out of a truck. I need my Bride to keep me warm at night and would miss the home cooked meals.

Others can deal with it. I tried when I was 21. Back in the day without interstate highways and main highways like Route 22 traversing Pennsylvania, were mostly two lanes and at times, very narrow and curvy. No sleeper cab and places to eat hit or miss. Not the best life style for a home body like me.

I think what dpK did under given circumstances, is admirable. He sucked it up and sought a different opportunity when the chips were falling.

That's a long time to be living out of a truck. I need my Bride to keep me warm at night and would miss the home cooked meals.

Others can deal with it. I tried when I was 21. Back in the day without interstate highways and main highways like Route 22 traversing Pennsylvania, were mostly two lanes and at times, very narrow and curvy. No sleeper cab and places to eat hit or miss. Not the best life style for a home body like me.

I think what dpK did under given circumstances, is admirable. He sucked it up and sought a different opportunity when the chips were falling.
Just filling time until my wife is ready to retire. What I've been doing and continue to do is helping set our future goals for retirement.

The home cooked meals come with me each and every trip. The truck has a built in fridge and I've also got a fridge/freezer that is strapped down in the copilot seat. The freezer is full of awesome food items. I carry enough food for a months worth of miles.

My wife and I do a lot during the summer months including a months worth of time at the beach. I try to get in a lot of winter miles when there's less that needs done at home. I've been able to get in 3-4 30 day stints most winters. I've done two so far this season and will probably do two more before spring. More miles, more money.

I don't like being away from home but I needed something easy to transition to after ending a previous life chapter in the winter of 2018. I was able to get my CDL without shelling out a dime and drivers were needed everywhere. I chose to haul liquid products because of the higher pay. Bulk liquid hauling pays well.

Sounds like fate's way of making up for the crappy, backing in w/o room, unloading place you had to deal with last week.
Sorta like there are days when you make every traffic light for miles and then there is the day, and it's always when you are in a hurry, when you can't buy a break and hit one every block. :rolleyes:

Waiting to scale in before delivering here in Kansas City, KS. The problem with delivering at this location is when delivering, you have to scale in/out at the same location where they load trailers. So, I wait to scale in, go offload, wait to scale out. Sometimes you can spend several hours here just waiting on the scales.

IMG_4638.jpeg

Finished offloading. Taking the empty to Chicago where I'll pick up a preloaded trailer that I'll be delivering in Montreal in Friday.

Speaking of "Red Kenworth".... Do you take much note in the trucks that are out there? How many Petes, KW's, Volvo's, etc? Or older ones like 379/389's versus the nice newer ones like you have?

Speaking of "Red Kenworth".... Do you take much note in the trucks that are out there? How many Petes, KW's, Volvo's, etc? Or older ones like 379/389's versus the nice newer ones like you have?
I don't really pay close attention other than some of the tractors that really stand out. You can tell who takes pride in their rides. Some nice rigs out here.

Back
Top Bottom