I need a hat, a chain for my wallet & a can of snuff.

No word in two weeks and wondering how the snow and weather in general are affecting your job. Seems as if no matter where you might have to go there is some lousy weather to hinder your progress. Hope everything is okay and the old tractor you are driving isn't giving you trouble.
Doing well. Yeah, the weather has been rough. A couple western Canada runs this month have put me in some lousy positions. Lots of ice. Spent some real slow days/nights driving through the North Portal area heading either over to both Calgary or Edmonton. Some extremely cold temps. DEF frozen up in many pumps in that region.

I'm currently in upstate New York heading to Toronto tomorrow to deliver. I've been out since the beginning of January. Heading home next Friday the 11th. That's the longest that I've been out. Figured I'd try to get in as many miles as possible over the winter saving some fun time for the summer months.

Lots of miles over this past month. Last weeki got in over 4000 miles for the week. That's probably the most I've been able to get in over the 70hr clock. Southern Canada allows up to 13hrs of driving per day. I maximized that several times.

I've had six runs into Canada this month. I had thought that Canada's new rules for entry, that went into effect January 15th, were going to make the border crossings more difficult. They haven't been all that bad so far.

After tomorrow's delivery I'll have to do another reset. I'll get in another fresh clock to carry me into next week where I'll finish up.

The trucks still holding it's own and getting me safely to everywhere I've got to go.

Good to learn all is as well as might be expected. Certainly don't envy you driving that rig on ice and well below freezing temps. All that comes to mind is what someone would do if their rig quit and they had no heat.
Stay safe and keep us tuned in. 🤞

Good to learn all is as well as might be expected. Certainly don't envy you driving that rig on ice and well below freezing temps. All that comes to mind is what someone would do if their rig quit and they had no heat.
Yeah, the 'no heat' thing would be horrible. I've been in -20f and less at the beginning of January. My truck was toasty warm. Had to kick up the idle overnight at times but I was good. There are several vents up front and three in the back. Most nights I find it to be too hot inside. Some nights, when I'm too lazy to get up and go up front to turn down the heat, I just turn on the AC in the bunk area. My truck is idling 99.9% of the time. It's only off to fuel, check the oil, load and sometimes offload. I'm in Toronto now offloading with the windows partly down while idling my fuel away. I think it's a very warm 29 degrees here today. Warmest I've seen it in a long time.

That's not fun. I had that happen to me in the late 70's. I was just north of New York City on the toll road and about 2.00am my fuel started to gel, and the engine started losing power until it just wouldn't run anymore. I had pulled over on to the side of the freeway just before the engine quit running. My CB was in the shop getting repaired, so I didn't have any kind of communication at all. So, I put the 4-way flashers on and put some flairs out and then got some covers off of the bed and sat in the seat and fell asleep until a state police officer knocked on my door about an hour later. He took me up the road to the toll booth area and I called a tow truck and then he took me back to my truck and stayed there until the tow truck arrived. The repair shop took a couple of hours to thaw my fuel lines out and dump some stuff in the fuel tanks and I was back on the road again.

I didn't have any problems where I've crossed but a buddy of mine did when he crossed north of Fargo. He waited for hours to get north of the border. On the way back he took secondary roads to get around a blockade.

I am concerned that things could escalate. Most all of my runs are now taking me into Canada. With all the drivers in our company that remain unvaccinated, more of the workload has shifted to those of us that are vaccinated and have a passport. The pay is awesome and the loads are endless but I can't help but wonder if I may run into problems in the future.

I'm currently doing a reset near Bangor Maine. I'm heading across the border Monday morning where i95 crosses by Haulton. I've never crossed there before. I doubt much is going on near that area. Heading to Moncton, north of Nova Scotia. That'll be the furthest east that I've ever traveled by truck. Apparently into the Atlantic Time Zone.

DAMN!! Can't imagine what you must be running into with the weather moving from the southwest to the Northeast. They must do a good job of keeping roads plowed and salted. Meantime, go for the gold and get in as much time as you can. Just be careful. Keep us posted. 🤞

DAMN!! Can't imagine what you must be running into with the weather moving from the southwest to the Northeast. They must do a good job of keeping roads plowed and salted. Meantime, go for the gold and get in as much time as you can. Just be careful. Keep us posted. 🤞
The last couple weeks have been horrible driving in the ice and snow. It seems that I've been in the wrong location at the wrong time. That being said, I've still been moving along, up on the wheel with a firm grip. When it gets that bad I pull over for the day. Most of my miles have been loaded so that helps a lot. These trucks are much more stable in these bad conditions when they are loaded. That's exactly opposite of what I thought when I first started driving. However, I soon found that to be the case.

I'm always monitoring the weather along my route and try to plan accordingly. I don't get the option on when/where my next load will take me but I am in control of deciding when and if I decide to move on down the road. If a load is late because I'm not comfortable with conditions, it's fine by my employer. The most important thing is safety and I'm the captain of my own ship. No pressure from anyone above.

The weather will break soon regardless of what the damn groundhog said. Pretty soon the biggest thing I'll have to worry about is bugs on the windshield and construction.

The good news is the best heard for you that being your employer has greater concern over safety than late delivery. It is a little different than some guys I've spoken with who say all their boss cares about is to deliver on time. Of course there is always the anal opening that will use weather or some other half-baked excuse os they can spend a few more hours shacked up somewhere.
After watching the national news and seeing videos of tractor/trailers spun out on ice or over an embankment because of weather make me wonder how you are managing. Sounds as if you have things you can, under your control. The weather, unless you are some sort of God, isn't anything anyone of us can do anything about. Just stay safe.

Called it a day after only 40 minutes this morning near Newport, Maine. Roads are horrendous. I'm empty which makes travels worse. Only made just over 22 miles in the first 40 minutes and I was one of the few on the road. Decided to pull into the next truck stop and give road crews some time to get ahead of the weather. Roads are mainly slush but have an ice layer underneath.

Called it a day after only 40 minutes this morning near Newport, Maine. Roads are horrendous. I'm empty which makes travels worse. Only made just over 22 miles in the first 40 minutes and I was one of the few on the road. Decided to pull into the next truck stop and give road crews some time to get ahead of the weather. Roads are mainly slush but have an ice layer underneath.
You did the right thing.

Waited for the roads to clear yesterday morning was definitely the right move. Breezed right through after the DOT had a chance to hit the roads.

My travels yesterday took my down through NY and across the GW Bridge heading west. As usual it was a clusterfuk at the merge points to get on and cross the bridge. Exactly what I expected. What I didn't expect was a chance to see some baseball bat road rage. It resulted as an indifference on merge etiquette. A flatbed trucker, in the correct lane, apparently exchanged words with a four wheeler that tried to cut him off. Some horns were exchanged followed by the guy getting out of his car with a baseball bat swinging for the fences on the truckers drivers side window and mirror. He didn't break the window but he did manage to break the mirror and chrome cover. He got back in his car and took off. I talked to the trucker on the CB. He said he was letting the dude into the lane but moving up to keep the space tight so others didn't do the same. He thinks the guy thought he was trying to hit him with the truck. He got out of his car, without warning, swinging. I guess he started on the passenger side and finished over where I could see on the drivers side. The trucker said he didn't say anything to the dude because he didn't want it to escalate. Heck, he's probably lucky the guy didn't have a gun. People are freaking nuts. Anyhow, his wife, in the passenger seat, got everything on video including the make, model and license plate of the car. She recorded it on her phone as well as the dash cam catching everything.

New York, whatcha gonna do?

Waited for the roads to clear yesterday morning was definitely the right move. Breezed right through after the DOT had a chance to hit the roads.

My travels yesterday took my down through NY and across the GW Bridge heading west. As usual it was a clusterfuk at the merge points to get on and cross the bridge. Exactly what I expected. What I didn't expect was a chance to see some baseball bat road rage. It resulted as an indifference on merge etiquette. A flatbed trucker, in the correct lane, apparently exchanged words with a four wheeler that tried to cut him off. Some horns were exchanged followed by the guy getting out of his car with a baseball bat swinging for the fences on the truckers drivers side window and mirror. He didn't break the window but he did manage to break the mirror and chrome cover. He got back in his car and took off. I talked to the trucker on the CB. He said he was letting the dude into the lane but moving up to keep the space tight so others didn't do the same. He thinks the guy thought he was trying to hit him with the truck. He got out of his car, without warning, swinging. I guess he started on the passenger side and finished over where I could see on the drivers side. The trucker said he didn't say anything to the dude because he didn't want it to escalate. Heck, he's probably lucky the guy didn't have a gun. People are freaking nuts. Anyhow, his wife, in the passenger seat, got everything on video including the make, model and license plate of the car. She recorded it on her phone as well as the dash cam catching everything.

New York, whatcha gonna do?
My guess would be nothing unless he is willing to press charges and commit to taking the time to go back there for a trial. New York is more interested in white collar crimes. Plus, they are pretty busy trying to nail Trump right now to keep him out of office. :)

Hey Dude!! Hope you are alright and not involved in that pileup on I-81 central PA. From the national news coverage it sure looks like one big mess. Fill us in. Missing your reports.

Hey Dude!! Hope you are alright and not involved in that pileup on I-81 central PA. From the national news coverage it sure looks like one big mess. Fill us in. Missing your reports.
My wife told me about that wreck. I saw the video. Scary, to say the least. About two weeks ago I got fog like that along with snow just north of Minneapolis. Fearing the same fate, I pulled off and parked at the next exit. Nasty stuff and not worth the risk.

I've been spending a lot of time on the road. Lots of longer runs. Spending lots of the companies money at the fuel pump every day.

Just got back from a Tampa run. Not sure why I can't get that run in December or January but it was a nice change. I'm still spending half my time north of the border.

Traffic and construction are building now that the weather is breaking. I'll take those issues over snow/ice any day. Made it through the winter season without too much trouble. A few times with a heavy grip on the wheel. The ice across western Canada is almost an every run occurrence. Not fun. Caused me to be delayed a few times. Our company knows that is all part of it and are fully behind us should we decide to call it a day.

I'll post some detail in the future.

Thank you for the update. Miss reading your stories and adventures. Life is really one big adventure to those who make it that way. While others may sit and churn about how things don't go right, or always seem to find the dark side, they never see the funny things or get to enjoy the adventures of daily life and just as now, I am living vicariously through your adventures.
It would have been a blast if Nitro Dude were still doing his thing combining the efforts of working on the car and other things faced during race events and then driving to the next stop and your trip experiences have shown us so far.
Hang in there Dude and keep the reports coming.

Thank you for the update. Miss reading your stories and adventures. Life is really one big adventure to those who make it that way. While others may sit and churn about how things don't go right, or always seem to find the dark side, they never see the funny things or get to enjoy the adventures of daily life and just as now, I am living vicariously through your adventures.
It would have been a blast if Nitro Dude were still doing his thing combining the efforts of working on the car and other things faced during race events and then driving to the next stop and your trip experiences have shown us so far.
Hang in there Dude and keep the reports coming.

Some don’t know where the light side is…..

So...... My truck has seen the miles over its lifetime. 630,000+. I've been having intermittent issues with parked regens. For those that don't know, the simple explanation of the regen is that it's a process that the truck executes to clean its filtration system for emissions. The truck will indicate on the dash that a regen is required before continuing on down the road. It can be as short as 15 minutes to a couple of hours depending on how dirty the filters are. If you fall to perform the regen when it's required, it'll put you truck into derate. That's not a good thing. It's basically putting your truck into a reduced power mode which renders it inoperable. It can only be cleared by hooking up the computer and forcing a regen, resetting it. Most likely that involves a trip to the dealer by tow truck. Expensive repairs and the trucks out of service.

Regens can occur on their own as your driving or they can be required when you are parked. If it goes about its business it's of little notice. It does it's thing and you continue on your way. The other regen is the parked regen. While parked for a lengthy time along with idling the filters become dirty requiring the regen. You simply push a button on the dash, the truck climbs to a higher idle and burns out the filters with excessive heat. When it's completed, the truck drops back to a normal idle and your good to go.

My truck had an issue where it would not recognize that the process was complete. It would continue to run the regen until I'd stop it by pressing the button again or pressing a pedal. They've tried a few times to correct the issue but it always seemed to crop up again and again. My truck has had its share of issues since I got in the seat last July. The truck was scheduled to be decommissioned in August as all of the tractors were being replaced in the Lube Division. The company had over 150 new units on order but the chip shortage hit the auto industry hard. Not just the 4 wheelers out there, the truck industry as well. I don't know the exact numbers but we had Peterbilt, Mac and Internationals on order. They would come in a handful at a time. Once received they had to be outfitted with both air and liquid pumps to enable offloading lubricants. They had to be painted and decaled to the companies colors.

Yesterday, I was scheduled to go in for service at the main terminal. When I got there I was surprised to find out that the call for service was actual to pick up this.....

Screenshot_20220331-050804_Photos.jpg

Only 34 miles on it! Time to put it to work.

WOW!! Congratulations!! Gotcherself a Pete! That is one good looking truck. We've seen Venezia transporters on the highway and they have a great color combination and design. Good luck and really glad you got one of the new ones. I wasn't sure if they would take care of you given you are kinda low on the totem pole for seniority. Just pleased for you it worked out the way it did.

Now you can regale us with tales of your adventures riding high in the saddle of your new Peterbuilt!! I'm guessing this is your truck and it won't be put out for use by other drivers, some who may be smokers or slobs.

WOW!! Congratulations!! Gotcherself a Pete! That is one good looking truck. We've seen Venezia transporters on the highway and they have a great color combination and design. Good luck and really glad you got one of the new ones. I wasn't sure if they would take care of you given you are kinda low on the totem pole for seniority. Just pleased for you it worked out the way it did.

Now you can regale us with tales of your adventures riding high in the saddle of your new Peterbuilt!! I'm guessing this is your truck and it won't be put out for use by other drivers, some who may be smokers or slobs.
No, no slip seating. Everyone's got their own truck. I bet it took me about 4 hours yesterday transferring all my gear from my old truck. You collect a lot of stuff living in these things.

I've spent a good portion of today installing everything. I've got everything done with the exception of installing my soundbar. Gotta be able to have good music at times.

Next up, sometime after I return home is making shelving for a couple of the storage areas. I've got some ideas where I'll be able to create a simple design that will allow for more organization.

I've also got a printer that I want to put on a shelf inside the closet so it's always at the ready. I've been unboxing it each time I need to use it. I need to print paperwork for border crossings each time I head to Canada. I can have the papers faxed to a truck stop but that's inconvenient. Plus, they charge you. Well, my company anyway.

Took the truck to the dealer today to update the software and address some issues I found with the pump for offloading product. Heading to a hotel for the night and back here, New Jersey, tomorrow to pick up the truck and head home. I don't go back out again until next Thursday.

Now you opened the box mentioning the shelving for storage and printer. Would like very much to see how you incorporate them into the sleeper. I have a flight simulator and no matter how it was set up, there was always a need to use the keyboard so I made a shelf with an 18 inch slide that is solid when extended and it works beautifully. Now all I do when I need the keyboard is pull the shelf out and, WALLA! Would something like that work for you? Since the simulator doesn't move, there is no need to secure the shelf with something like a small slide bold.

That is awesome dpk. You definitely deserve it I hope it gives you the dependability new trucks are supposed to give, and you can rack up a lot of trouble-free miles and your bank account. I have had a few brand-new trucks and there is nothing better than that new truck smell and the comfort of warranty. I had a lot of regen problems on the last truck I drove, and you never knew when it was going to throw a code. I was lucky that it never went into derate mode, but it cost the race team probably over 15 grand in the 5 years I drove it. I hated that regen system.

Now you opened the box mentioning the shelving for storage and printer. Would like very much to see how you incorporate them into the sleeper. I have a flight simulator and no matter how it was set up, there was always a need to use the keyboard so I made a shelf with an 18 inch slide that is solid when extended and it works beautifully. Now all I do when I need the keyboard is pull the shelf out and, WALLA! Would something like that work for you? Since the simulator doesn't move, there is no need to secure the shelf with something like a small slide bold.
I intend on creating a simple frames that will be able to support multiple shelves. I plan on inserting this framework into the existing closets. Securing it wont be an issue. I'll make it just large enough to fit and shim it if necessary, noise, rubbing, etc... Something that will be easy to insert/extract. I'll do the same for a similar, but smaller, storage location in the truck on the opposite side. While it's great to get the new ride, Peterbilt made design changes to their sleeper section that eliminated roughly 30% of the storage space. No doubt a design by an engineer that probably saw a truck for the first time. They added a fridge/freezer unit. Nice, but it was in exchange for removing additional storage space. They also moved the TV mount to a location that eliminated overhead storage space at the feet end of the bed.

There are times when a truck breaks down and gets sent to the dealer for lengthy repairs. When that happens, our company has extra, older, trucks that are available for temporary use. Awesome because it keeps you moving but inconvenient due to swapping all of your gear. The company understands this and pays the driver for the inconvenience. I think it's six hours. I wanted to make shelf structure so that it's easily moved from truck to truck for this reason.

I only got to drive my new truck for about 60 miles so far. I pulled an empty trailer but could tell the difference immediately. Lot's of torque. Quicker acceleration. Smoother ride. And, no extra squeaks and other aged truck noises. Those will come soon enough. It's a 12 speed automatic vs. the 10 speed auto that I did have. The old truck had to go through every single gear during acceleration. This truck skips gearing that it doesn't find necessary allowing for a quicker/smoother acceleration. There's probably a name for that type of transmission but I don't know what it's called.

If all goes as planned I should be taking a loaded trailer east to west across the PA Turnpike this afternoon/evening. Crossing the mountains west of Harrisburgh will give me a good idea on it power.

That is awesome dpk. You definitely deserve it I hope it gives you the dependability new trucks are supposed to give, and you can rack up a lot of trouble-free miles and your bank account. I have had a few brand-new trucks and there is nothing better than that new truck smell and the comfort of warranty. I had a lot of regen problems on the last truck I drove, and you never knew when it was going to throw a code. I was lucky that it never went into derate mode, but it cost the race team probably over 15 grand in the 5 years I drove it. I hated that regen system.
I'm seeing a lot of new trucks going in for repair too. Quality control is not what it used to be.

Had the new truck at home last weekend. Worked on adding some shelves. Changed my mind on what I had first intended on doing. I saw that the inside of the closet had plastic forms that added support to the closet walls. Was able to simply cut some supports from 1x3's and then screw some 7/16" OSB into the supports to create simple shelves.

20220403_084328.jpg
20220403_095507.jpg
20220403_104559.jpg

Lookin' goooood! If you don't mind, post some pictures of the interior of the sleeper. It has been so long since I've seen inside one I have no idea what they are like. I recall the old ones had room for a bunk and that was it!!! Then they graduated to the ones with a bed and small space but after that have never seen how the newer, more driver friendly, cabs utilize space and amenities.

Hope they got the new truck wrinkles out of it and it is ready to be driven 500K trouble-free miles. Looking forward to hearing of your adventures on the road.

Lookin' goooood! If you don't mind, post some pictures of the interior of the sleeper. It has been so long since I've seen inside one I have no idea what they are like. I recall the old ones had room for a bunk and that was it!!! Then they graduated to the ones with a bed and small space but after that have never seen how the newer, more driver friendly, cabs utilize space and amenities.

Hope they got the new truck wrinkles out of it and it is ready to be driven 500K trouble-free miles. Looking forward to hearing of your adventures on the road.
Trouble-free will be nice but that time hasn't started yet. I had to drop it off at the dealer again for a check valve in the fuel line to be replaced. They have the dealer fix anything that's under warranty. I'm in a 2020 Peterbilt loaner now until I get my new one back. I'll get some pics when I get mine back and restock it. I had to transfer some of my stuff out into this truck to get back out on the road. I hope to get my truck back this week before I head home on Thursday.

That was a classic. I wore out my share of 8-track tapes, cassette tapes, and cd's playing that song while I was hammer down in the hammer lane with my stacks pouring out smoke as black as coal. Breaker breaker 19 how bout ya red rider you got your ears on? You got Crackerhead Jed and Booty Delicious rolling your way. :D

My first delivery with the new setup last week. Blindsided backup around the curve do into a lead manufacturing facility. It was an 'air off' of 6000+ gallons of lubricating oil for the machines used to make lead ingots. Full PPE, including respirator, required. I think I lost 5lbs during the process. A very small percentage of my deliveries require that much caution as much of the product that I haul isn't hazardous. This load wasn't the issue. It was simply the environment of the interior of the facility. I was glad to leave there.

20220408_112309.jpg

Woah there Cracker Jed, this is Mother's Mistake, back her down, you got a full grown hanging around the 30 marker, don't want you and that delicious booty to get a full load of green stamps. :biggrin:
If don't know if there is a dictionary anywhere to translate that.

Loading a Canadian load right now. 6000+ gallons of motor oil. Every load that I haul has to be sealed at all of the access points. This being a 4 compartment load it'll require 12 separate seals. Once the compartments are loaded I have to seal the access points with these metal seals. All of the loads that I take to Canada require this type of seal. Most of the places that I deliver to in the US use plastic seals. Why the difference, I don't know.

20220419_153130~2.jpg

Please let us know what it was like getting into and out of Canada at the border.
Starting to see more activity at the border. The trucks continue as they have throughout the COVID era. Now the rest of the population is crossing. A much smaller amount but enough to create delays that I haven't seen for quite a while.

I'm currently on my 2nd trip to Canada this week. I'll be crossing early in the AM tomorrow where i95 cruisers from Maine. That border crossing is seldom busy and I don't expect any issues on the morning.

Each load that is taken across the border from the US is registered beforehand. After a load is loaded a copy of the Bill of Laden, description of the product (s) being transported, is filed with Canada. A barcode is attached to the Bill of Laden. The barcode is also attached to a Leedsheet. The Leedsheet matches my truck/trailer and me to the information that they have on file. At the border crossing, I hand my Leedsheet and passport to the Border Agent and they match it to what they have on file. They'll ask me various questions that they already know the answers to to make sure I am who I say I am. The then stamp the Leedsheet and send me on my way. Usually about a five minute process of you have everything in order. I always do. Others don't. They cause delays. I try not to be that guy.

When you return to the US, the process is repeated. Papers exchanged, stamped and questions asked.

I can only cross into Canada at the crossing that the paperwork is filed for. No exceptions. I can return to the US through any border crossing as long as I'm empty. I always am. I never bring anything back to the states.

My travels tomorrow take me to Muncton, NB. Just above Nova Scotia. What's kind of cool is that it is one time zone east of the Eastern Time Zone.

Finished in Muncton yesterday mid morning. Back in New Jersey now to complete a 34hr reset before I load Monday and head to Vernon, CA. I'm probably going to take a more southern route across Oklahoma, Texas, New Mexico and Arizona into California. They will more than likely send me up to Chicago after I offload. I always like driving across this country of ours. There is so much to see out there.

So..... My new truck has an EPU. For those that don't know, the EPU is basically a set of 8 batteries that power either an air conditioner or heater while the truck is in the off position, not running. I'm putting it to the test during this reset. I have a switch on the dash that when activated, the truck will monitor the battery storage. Should the batteries need recharged, the truck will automatically start on it's own and run until the batteries are fully charged and then shut back off. I'm currently running my air conditioner, television and some lights. Better to test it here while I'm so close to one of our terminals.

edit.....

also two refrigerators with one including a freezer.

Finished in Muncton yesterday mid morning. Back in New Jersey now to complete a 34hr reset before I load Monday and head to Vernon, CA. I'm probably going to take a more southern route across Oklahoma, Texas, New Mexico and Arizona into California. They will more than likely send me up to Chicago after I offload. I always like driving across this country of ours. There is so much to see out there.
Just flew over U.S. from Charlotte to L.A. and was fascinated but the landscape from the air. We flew over the forest fires in Arizona and at one point actually could see the flames where smoke had cleared. What a spectacle from something like 33,000 feet!
Traveled the lower country via motor home forty years ago and never realized how different it looks.

Back
Top Bottom