I need a hat, a chain for my wallet & a can of snuff.

Must say, California is everything I ever heard about it. Good, bad and indifferent. Traffic on city streets is like a race track but so far, absolutely everyone we’ve had contact with from bag handler, bus driver, UBER or LYFT drivers have been helpful and courteous. Hopefully, things will remain that way.

@dpkimmel2001 , do you strictly drive solo or do you have a swamper from time to time?
Solo. I can't imagine driving with anyone else..... Outside of my wife. I mean, it's baffling that I make it through a day now without her riding beside me telling me how to drive. Seriously though, that would be the only person I'd want in a seat beside me but she's not interested in getting her CDL.

@dpkimmel2001 , do you strictly drive solo or do you have a swamper from time to time?
I thought you were referring to lumpers. Lumpers are furnished by the warehouse or cooler to unload long haul dry vans and refers. They charge the trucker various amounts depending on the load to unload your truck.

I thought you were referring to lumpers. Lumpers are furnished by the warehouse or cooler to unload long haul dry vans and refers. They charge the trucker various amounts depending on the load to unload your truck.
I thought it had meant a co driver. Driving a tanker I guess I'm not familiar with the term.

Swamper is an old southern red neck term for a second driver.

Ok, I will try again. do you ever have a second driver with you on long hauls.
Nope, just me. I drive my 11 hours and stop for 10. Rinse and repeat. I get the product there as quick as any single driver can.

Reactions: sdj
Nope, just me. I drive my 11 hours and stop for 10. Rinse and repeat. I get the product there as quick as any single driver can.

Since the electronic log became manditory, we have had, from time to time, time sensitive loads from West Georgia that have to be in California asap and our truckers will have a second driver for that. We used a husband and wife team a lot.

So..... I don't load in New Jersey until 9am. Much later than I'd like to start my day. Our terminal is only fifteen minutes from ExxonMobil. I'm going to head over a little early with hope that they may be able to load me early. I'm hauling a single compartment trailer. That'll speed up the loading process.

My goal today is to make Indianapolis. I'm not going to get there in time to easily find a spot. I'll either have to reserve one or make a spot somewhere. For me, that's the one of the biggest things I hate about driving. There are a lot of trucks out there and the parking spots are limited. Tonight should be my only problem night. The time zone changes as I head west enable me to finish my days earlier each day, making parking much easier as I go.

My backup plan for parking is always the same. I always pick out a tank wash facility near my days destination. Those places are normally busy 24/7. I usually back into an empty spot and call it a night. It's easy to blend in with those that are there to actually use their intended services. I'll do my 10hr break and then continue in hopes of making Oklahoma City on the 2nd night.

I have destination goals for the entire trip. My only issue, outside of weather/traffic/construction, is that my new truck is governed @ 70mph. My last truck was able to run @ 73mph. Sure, it doesn't sound like much but it's the difference of 33 miles for the day. Trust me, that's huge. Days often come down to minutes from being in violation of the 11 hour driving rule. I've never been in violation and I don't intend on that trend changing.

Since the electronic log became manditory, we have had, from time to time, time sensitive loads from West Georgia that have to be in California asap and our truckers will have a second driver for that. We used a husband and wife team a lot.
They never have us rush a load. The most important thing is to get there. The last thing that they want us to do is sacrifice safety for speed. Our orders are normally hammered out months in advance allowing for extra time as a buffer. I'm guessing that if they were to run into some sort of situation that they needed the run to go non-stop, they'd probably arrange drop and hook locations so other drivers could move the load on down the road.

If our loads aren't temperature sensitive, they may be loaded weeks in advance, waiting for a driver to hook up and head to the customer. Time is even built in for temperature sensitive loads so that they can be steamed ahead of delivery.

My new display cluster. Sure beats the normal needle gauges. That is, until something wrong.

There is a ton of information that is stored for each run I make. Still trying to learn all the bells and whistles.

20220425_074309.jpg

The new dash layout. I've got my phone cradle a fingers reach from the steering wheel so that there's no need to take a hand off the wheel. The only item I have to add yet is a mount for my tablet that will allow for a another GPS service that I utilize. I haven't figured out its placement yet. I've got the mount but I'm going to pick up different mounting hardware before I start drilling holes in the dash.

20220425_074755.jpg

Got them to move the delivery to last Friday instead of this Monday. I delivered at 6am and got out of LA headed for Chicago. Made it as far as Nebraska yesterday afternoon where I'm doing another 34hr reset. 4000+ miles last week. Probably the most that I squeezed out of a single week.

34 hr reset?
It's all about the 'clocks' when driving. Lots of regulations. A 34hr reset is basically me parking the truck and being off duty for 34 consecutive hours. When a driver does this, it gives them a new set of clocks, or new work week, how ever you'd like to think of it. Here's a pic of my available clocks after this current reset.....

20220502_053241~3.jpg

That 70hr clock in the bottom line is my available hours for the week. The 14hr clock is the amount of time I can be on duty for the current day. The 11hr driving clock is how many hours I can drive for the current day. The 8hr clock is how many hours I can be on duty before taking a break. Confusing, I know. And if you think that's confusing, all of these clocks are different when I drive in Canada. Different countries, different rules.

• Wow
Good Lord! :whoopee: :lol2:

Give government bureaucrats enough time and they will screw up any and everything they touch.
As much as it sucks to have to answer to these clocks, it's probably better in the long run for the public in general. If there were no accountability, there'd bea lot of trucks on the road that should be parked due to driver fatigue.

Here's a pic of those same clocks as my day has progressed.....

20220502_141700.jpg

I'm currently taking a mandatory 30 minute break so that I'll get time back to finish out my day.

As much as it sucks to have to answer to these clocks, it's probably better in the long run for the public in general. If there were no accountability, there'd bea lot of trucks on the road that should be parked due to driver fatigue.

Here's a pic of those same clocks as my day has progressed.....

View attachment 62936

I'm currently taking a mandatory 30 minute break so that I'll get time back to finish out my day.

So a 30 minute break now, gets you 3 more hours to drive today?

If you do not take the break the truck de-rates and then stops?

So a 30 minute break now, gets you 3 more hours to drive today?

If you do not take the break the truck de-rates and then stops?
Yes, the 30 minute break was required to continue on down the road. I only drive a couple more hours and then parked for the day.

No derate involved with the clocks. Had I not taken the break and continued, I'd simply be in violation. The only way that I would get caught is if it's get stopped for inspection or pull into a weigh station and be flagged for inspection.

I've never been in violation yet with my clocks. It'll happen someday as I tend to push the limits of the available hours. It's simply a matter of time. Pun intended.

It's all about the 'clocks' when driving. Lots of regulations. A 34hr reset is basically me parking the truck and being off duty for 34 consecutive hours. When a driver does this, it gives them a new set of clocks, or new work week, how ever you'd like to think of it. Here's a pic of my available clocks after this current reset.....

View attachment 62930

That 70hr clock in the bottom line is my available hours for the week. The 14hr clock is the amount of time I can be on duty for the current day. The 11hr driving clock is how many hours I can drive for the current day. The 8hr clock is how many hours I can be on duty before taking a break. Confusing, I know. And if you think that's confusing, all of these clocks are different when I drive in Canada. Different countries, different rules.
Is there any forgiveness. If you hit the time limit are you required to absolutely stop at that very minute even if it is on the shoulder of a very busy highway.

Is there any forgiveness. If you hit the time limit are you required to absolutely stop at that very minute even if it is on the shoulder of a very busy highway.
I don't think there's any leeway when it comes to being in violation. I've never run out of time yet but if it should happen I'll make note of it in my electronic log. Not that it'll mean anything to a roadside inspector but it's worth a shot.

So I saw an interesting one today that reminded me of @dpkimmel2001 . It was a live bottom trailer that has super singles on the front axle and traditional duals on the rear axle. It took me a second to register it - at first I thought the outer dual was removed, because SS's are so much narrower. Seems to me that mixing tires like that would make the trailer handle weird. Granted live-bottom trailers don't usually travel very far from home base.

A few weeks ago I had to flag down a trucker because he had a smoking brake on the right front trailer dual. Flashing headlights, honking, nothing got his attention in his driver-side mirrors. I finally intentionally put my truck directly against his drive duals to get his attention in the little mirror, then pulled up to his door and pointed at his drive duals to make him pull over. I pulled over just ahead of him and got out to talk to him. He had NO idea how the brakes worked, what the cans did, etc. Classic 20-something modern steering wheel holder. He didn't even notice the tire smoking until I walked back and pointed it to him. I sat there and troubleshooted it with him for a couple minutes, the can was activating when he took the parking brake off, so I think one of the shoes came delaminated. I told him good luck with the roadside truck service and drove the rest of the way home.

After 359,740 miles, 3 years, and just over a month... .

I can finally check off South Dakota to complete my bucket list of delivering in or stopping in the lower 48 states and every southern province of Canada. I had been sitting on 47 for more than 10 months but finally had a lead that delivered in South Dakota yesterday.

Things have remained much the same for me. Traveling all over this country of ours and Canada getting to see the sights. Unfortunately, I don't get the chance to spend too much time at any given place but it is awesome to see the difference geography of this nation. It looks like every place has so much to offer depending on your likes or dislikes.

I am happy with the decision that I made to switch from hailing chemicals over to hauling lubricants for this company. I don't have to deal with so much nasty product. Very seldom do I have to haul any type of hazmat load which is fine by me.

I don't want to jinx anything but the new truck has been great. It's nice to have a place that I know has always been my own. I've made all kinds of modifications to it that allow for me to be more at home while I'm on the road.

As the summer winds down, I find myself thinking more and more of the upcoming winter season. Not looking forward to the shift to inclement weather. This truck being outfitted with super singles is going to be a new experience for me. I really don't think that they're going to handle as well as the normal configuration of a truck. It should get interesting pretty soon.

What are "super singles?" Single wheels on the tractor or trailer all around?
Good to see an update. How did the install of the shelves go? The cab looks great and you did a good job of arranging everything so it is at your finger tips. A home away from home. Sort of.. :rolleyes:

Super singles are a larger tire in width. Rather than have eight tires on the rear of the truck, I have four. Overall, there's less rubber on the road. I'm not sure I like that. Some of our trailers are also running that configuration.

Shelves worked great. I'm able to organize everything. Everything's got its place to be stowed away and I don't have to look at it until I get it out.

Attachments

• 20220825_101907.jpg
    20220825_101907.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 52
WOW! While they look wider I, like you, am skeptical. Maybe not as much rubber on the road reducing friction but it also seems like it would reduce braking distance in an emergency.
Plus, how much of an issue is having one blow/flat with a load? Does that mean you would have to stop and wait for service truck to come rescue you? :idunno:
And lastly, please tell me they don't use recaps on the single wheels.

That's interesting you put up that picture, I was driving down the highway yesterday, and saw one of those along side the road that had been blown out, I've never seen those before. I thought maybe a dirt late model or sprint car had a flat on the highway haha..

WOW! While they look wider I, like you, am skeptical. Maybe not as much rubber on the road reducing friction but it also seems like it would reduce braking distance in an emergency.
Plus, how much of an issue is having one blow/flat with a load? Does that mean you would have to stop and wait for service truck to come rescue you? :idunno:
And lastly, please tell me they don't use recaps on the single wheels.
Yeah, the traction is my main concern. When I first started driving this combination, I could feel the difference in the ride. There seems to be more give to side movement when rolling through corners down the interstate. Kind of a weird feeling that is now my new normal.

Never had one blow but yeah, I'd be waiting roadside for repair. Not a lot of fun but at least I still get paid for the downtime.

We don't run recaps on our tractors. Trailers do though.

That's interesting you put up that picture, I was driving down the highway yesterday, and saw one of those along side the road that had been blown out, I've never seen those before. I thought maybe a dirt late model or sprint car had a flat on the highway haha..
I've not seen one of them laying in the road yet. One night recently I did hit someone's regular recap tread that let loose in front of me. It was the full piece. I had vehicles to both sides and was loaded. I couldn't have swerved to avoid it. I got it with the front, right steer tire followed by the rears. While I didn't actually see it hit, it hit my trailers ladder that is on that side. It bent that back like a pretzel. That's some heavy duty metal that got deformed. The only damage that it did to the truck was bending the frame for the steps when it came from under the front tire. Not too bad though.

I've not seen one of them laying in the road yet. One night recently I did hit someone's regular recap tread that let loose in front of me. It was the full piece. I had vehicles to both sides and was loaded. I couldn't have swerved to avoid it. I got it with the front, right steer tire followed by the rears. While I didn't actually see it hit, it hit my trailers ladder that is on that side. It bent that back like a pretzel. That's some heavy duty metal that got deformed. The only damage that it did to the truck was bending the frame for the steps when it came from under the front tire. Not too bad though.
Yep, people don't realize how dangerous it is to follow or drive beside a truck and trailer. Especially motorcycles.

Yeah, the traction is my main concern. When I first started driving this combination, I could feel the difference in the ride. There seems to be more give to side movement when rolling through corners down the interstate. Kind of a weird feeling that is now my new normal.

Never had one blow but yeah, I'd be waiting roadside for repair. Not a lot of fun but at least I still get paid for the downtime.

We don't run recaps on our tractors. Trailers do though.
I can see the sidewalls being softer for sure.

As mentioned above, I saw a trailer the other day that had super singles on the front axle and duals on the back axle.

Seems to me that such configuration would make the trailer super prone to wandering. The scrub profile while turning would be interesting too.

I'm wary of them for that very reason mentioned - with duals, that corner still holds weight. Lose a SS and the other 3 corners just went way over weight limit. Not to mention what it would do the imbalance of the air ride/air balance when that corner dropped down.

Looks pretty nasty out there. Do you keep the rig running or plugged in at truck stop?
If you are stuck there until the roads are safe for travel it must suck. Do you get internet so you can watch movies but then again, how many movies can you watch.
Miss your adventure reports. Interesting to see what you encounter on a daily basis. Keep us posted!!

I’ve got the truck idling. Sometimes, because of the temperatures up in Canada and in this section of the states, I actually have to bump up my idle speed in order to keep good heat in the cab/sleeper. That’s not normally an issue until it gets below zero. It’s currently 23 degrees out there but the wind gusts are being reported to be 50mph making it feel much colder.

The interstates are currently closed in almost the entire state. I’m about 60 miles west of Fargo at a Love’s Travel Center. My route from here to the Calgary area takes me up US52 through Minot, ND and then into and west across Canada. I’ve got about 400+ miles of 2 lane road ahead of me before I get back to an interstate type road in Canada. There’s a lot of nothing up here. I don’t want to get stuck in the middle of nowhere.

Yes, I do have Internet in my truck. That along with about every streaming service can keep me entertained for a while but yeah, you can only watch so much. When I’m driving I stream all my music and sports talk radio. I switched from Verizon to AT&T a while back because of their truly unlimited package. Verizon only gives you .5GB of Internet once your not of the border. Then they want your to purchase more in small increments. AT&T is unlimited in both the US and Canada.

I had to reschedule tomorrow mornings delivery for next Monday. I hope to be able to leave this location by Saturday in the am. I still have 922 miles to go to my delivery point so I’ll have one more stop between here and there. There’s a Flying J in Medicine Hat, Alberta that I plan on stopping at for the night. It’s 750 miles ahead of me. I can make that distance across Canada in a day if the roads clear.

I hope to be back down in this general area by Tuesday afternoon/evening. By Tuesday the temps here are to be far below zero. Not uncommon for this region. I’ve seen it get anywhere right around -25 a number of times up here. Those are the nights that you have to bump up that idle speed to keep warm and make sure that you have diesel treatment additive added into the fuel tanks to keep the fuel from gelling. It’ll get to the point where the fuel cannot pass through the fuel filters. It’s a petty common problem this time of the year.

Thanks for the report. I find it interesting in what you do. The issues that confront you and working within the ranges of your time clock, the added good/bad weather, and being stuck in a place where it is little more than flat land and winds of 50 mph. What are you loaded with this trip? Just curious more with if the weather will affect it temperature wise for unloading as you have mentioned previously of some product that requires specific temperature ranges for transport and unloading.
Meantime, stay warm and safe travels across the coldest parts of Canada and desolate sections of the U.S. of A.
Hopefully there will be no issues to prevent you from returning to your home to be with family for the holidays.

Thanks for the report. I find it interesting in what you do. The issues that confront you and working within the ranges of your time clock, the added good/bad weather, and being stuck in a place where it is little more than flat land and winds of 50 mph. What are you loaded with this trip? Just curious more with if the weather will affect it temperature wise for unloading as you have mentioned previously of some product that requires specific temperature ranges for transport and unloading.
Meantime, stay warm and safe travels across the coldest parts of Canada and desolate sections of the U.S. of A.
Hopefully there will be no issues to prevent you from returning to your home to be with family for the holidays.
5,819 gallons of motor oil. It was loaded at 80 degrees. It’s at 76 degrees now. These tankers are insulated pretty well. The place where I’m delivering is concerned with the delivery temperature. Many places are. Had this have been one of those locations I’d probably have to stop to have the load steamed before delivering. And yes, the colder the product, the slower it offloads.

Still sitting. No change in the road conditions here. Everything locked down. I’m wanting to leave here by tomorrow but we’ll see.

Back
Top Bottom