I need a hat, a chain for my wallet & a can of snuff.

The older trucks use to have a grill cover with a zipper on it that attached to the grill and when you were parked in extreme cold weather you would zip them up so the water temp would stay hot enough to put heat out. You had to be careful not to forget to unzip it before driving because it would overheat your engine if you did. I don't know if they still use them on the newer trucks or not. I know I haven't used one since the 80's.

DAMN!! But that sucks!! Hopefully the highways will open up and you can resume your delivery. Thanks for the update.
Although I frequently drive through North Dakota, I’m not familiar with their DOT and snow removal. From what I’ve been following on their road conditions website, it seems to be nonexistent. It’s mainly the wind at this point but the whole state appears to be locked down.

26B13CD7-046F-48EE-B255-E330DBE00FDB.jpeg

The older trucks use to have a grill cover with a zipper on it that attached to the grill and when you were parked in extreme cold weather you would zip them up so the water temp would stay hot enough to put heat out. You had to be careful not to forget to unzip it before driving because it would overheat your engine if you did. I don't know if they still use them on the newer trucks or not. I know I haven't used one since the 80's.
I see them occasionally. Currently I can see the front of about 30 parked rigs. None have anything covering their grill. I’ll definitely idle through a significant amount of fuel before I get out of here. I filled up in Fargo early yesterday. Traveled about 60 miles west. Idled here since 0430 yesterday. I’ve probably went though about 30 gallons so far.

BF9FC913-E44A-4AE9-851F-AF818C9D8314.jpeg

And here I was getting all squirrelly because the temperature is 58 degrees, 12 points below my comfort level. Along with the cold weather is a slight breeze that adds to the chill factor. BRRrrrrrrr! Got my high socks, blue jeans, tee- undershirt and long sleeve shirt. Was thinking about putting on a sweater but instead have an ersatz fire in the fireplace. I'm sitting here listening to Anne Murray croon, with my coffee and looking out the window thinking I should go get the mail but figure I'll wait until it warms up a little.
Supposed to get up to 72 later this afternoon so maybe I'll chance walking to the mailbox. :cool:

I spent a little over an hour this morning digging out. Still had to use chains just to pull out of my parking spot. I put in just under 13 hours of driving through all kinds of conditions. You can drive up to 13 hours a day in Canada. I’ve finished my day in Medicine Hat, Alberta. Only a few more hours to drive in the morning and I’ll be right by the customer so I can offload early on Monday.

And here I was getting all squirrelly because the temperature is 58 degrees, 12 points below my comfort level. Along with the cold weather is a slight breeze that adds to the chill factor. BRRrrrrrrr! Got my high socks, blue jeans, tee- undershirt and long sleeve shirt. Was thinking about putting on a sweater but instead have an ersatz fire in the fireplace. I'm sitting here listening to Anne Murray croon, with my coffee and looking out the window thinking I should go get the mail but figure I'll wait until it warms up a little.
Supposed to get up to 72 later this afternoon so maybe I'll chance walking to the mailbox. :cool:
11 below zero this morning when I crossed the border. It’s currently 8 degrees where I’m parked now. Look at these crazy numbers for their upcoming forecast. I can’t understand why anyone would choose to live here.

D4EC5416-9F75-4155-B29B-0A1BDD934E51.png

Those temperatures make me shiver just thinking about them. Houses must be well insulated and pipes buried deep below frost level. Warming up here and this is what it is like for the next ten days in Englewood, Florida!!

Attachments

• IMG_F94E486B7913-1.jpeg
    IMG_F94E486B7913-1.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 50
-16 this morning at my delivery point. Tried to get fuel in my way here this morning but the pumps weren’t working due to the temps, or so I’m told. I’ve got plenty to make it to the next location.

When they opened the roads were they cleared or was there e still some drifting. I can only imagine how much snow must drift because of the flat land and open spaces. -16 is a bit on the cool side. Thinking it might get warmer on the return leg of your trip. Will you return empty? Or pick something up on the way back? Maybe something in a warmer climate? ;)

The roads were clear in Canada. Just snow blowing across the road. I’m back in North Dakota now. There’s ice patches and drifting snow here. It’s -18 here in northern ND.

I’m empty coming back. Heading to Chicago. I’m not sure if I’m picking up another load to deliver or if I’ll be heading home for Christmas a little early. I wouldn’t mind heading home. This last week in the snow is more stress than I need besides I could go for some family time as well as an ice cold beer. I don’t drink away from home and I’ve been out for a month.

Hope you can get home safely and do not get caught up in the forecast storms heading toward Chicago with nasty predictions of all types of bad things and cruel tricks Mother Nature has in store.
Safe journey, hope you get an early home for the Holidays and and you get to enjoy the season with family.
Hopefully your daughter and son will be able to join you for the festivities.
Please keep us posted as I feel there are many who follow your adventures and read each post.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!!
Thinking of you and your family.

Thank you for posting your travels. I throughly enjoy reading them!

Hope you can get home safely and do not get caught up in the forecast storms heading toward Chicago with nasty predictions of all types of bad things and cruel tricks Mother Nature has in store.
Safe journey, hope you get an early home for the Holidays and and you get to enjoy the season with family.
Hopefully your daughter and son will be able to join you for the festivities.
Please keep us posted as I feel there are many who follow your adventures and read each post.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!!
Thinking of you and your family.

Thank you for posting your travels. I throughly enjoy reading them!
I’m actually in Chicago right now. Loading some automatic transmission fluid that I’m delivering at a GM plant tomorrow morning. From there I’m pretty sure I’ll be heading home to western PA….. just ahead of the storm I hope.

Good news is it’s currently 28 degrees here in Chicago. Feels great!

And yes Merry Christmas to all.

I don’t blame you for wanting to drink in that ND cold.
Yeah, that’s just all kinds of wrong up there!

My route between last Thursday early in the am and yesterday midday was by far the worst roads I’ve ever driven on. Lots of falling snow, blowing snow and icy travels. A loaded trailer is much more stable on those conditions than my drive back empty was.

78C4CFD5-117A-4EF0-8F2A-21F0199131CB.jpeg
ABD91307-1E3D-4473-9606-C69CE9DEE377.jpeg

Great pictures that tell it all. WOW!! Driving in that must have been tense! You'll need the holidays for a break to recover. Enjoy that cold beer! If I was there with you I'd buy you a couple of cold Yuenglings or whatever your beer of choice might be.

Great pictures that tell it all. WOW!! Driving in that must have been tense! You'll need the holidays for a break to recover. Enjoy that cold beer! If I was there with you I'd buy you a couple of cold Yuenglings or whatever your beer of choice might be.
My wife stocked our beer fridge up just last night. Some move cold ones waiting for me when I get home.

The pics don’t do it justice. That snow is constantly moving. Very disorienting. Especially when it moves in the same direction of travel. Your then unable to see the lines on the road. All of the sudden you have lines that are created by the moving snow. However, when you look in your side mirrors, you can see the lines behind you as the truck clears the blowing snow out of the way. I had to constantly look behind me just to tell if I’m still riding in my lane. The good thing is the roads are relatively straight for miles at a time.

Good ol' whiteout driving, I don't miss that part.
I still remember the last whiteout I was in. I had flown from California to our race shop in Illinois to drive the hauler back to California for the World Finals and I started hearing chatter on the CB that the roads were closed at Flagstaff. I decided to try and make it to Winslow AZ. For about the last 15 miles before Winslow I was the only vehicle on the road so there were no tire tracks to follow, and the snow was falling so hard I could hardly see anything. On top of that my wiper blades kept icing up and smearing the windshield to the point I would have to reach around and bang them on the windshield to knock the ice off. I made it into the Flying J at around 2.30 am and when I woke up around 8.00 am the sun was out and the roads were cleared and it was a nice drive the rest of the way to the racetrack.

I still remember the last whiteout I was in. I had flown from California to our race shop in Illinois to drive the hauler back to California for the World Finals and I started hearing chatter on the CB that the roads were closed at Flagstaff. I decided to try and make it to Winslow AZ. For about the last 15 miles before Winslow I was the only vehicle on the road so there were no tire tracks to follow, and the snow was falling so hard I could hardly see anything. On top of that my wiper blades kept icing up and smearing the windshield to the point I would have to reach around and bang them on the windshield to knock the ice off. I made it into the Flying J at around 2.30 am and when I woke up around 8.00 am the sun was out and the roads were cleared and it was a nice drive the rest of the way to the racetrack.
Yeah that brings back memories. I know that one about Flag. Snow blowing in sideways across the road from the north, wipers were useless.

A friend of mine recently moved from Southern California to northwest Montana. This is her first winter there.
-24 there tomorrow morning.
😐

A friend of mine recently moved from Southern California to northwest Montana. This is her first winter there.
-24 there tomorrow morning.
😐
The place I just delivered Monday morning, Okotoks, AB Canada, is down to -26 currently. Just to the north in Edmonton it’s -31. Those numbers are insane but they’re also common to that region this time of the year.

I’m delivering now in Toledo, OH where it’sa balmy 38 degrees. Just have to cross this state into PA this afternoon and I’m home until next week.

I’ve been getting reports that they are adding road restrictions to some of the roads in PA due to weather. Many times they start by restricting trucks with empty trailers. That would be me. I think it’s actually to get a little warmer during the mid day hours.

Do you take the tractor and trailer home or drop them at the terminal? Just good to know you have been having some decent driving weather if you can call freezing temps and blowing snow decent driving weather.

Do you take the tractor and trailer home or drop them at the terminal? Just good to know you have been having some decent driving weather if you can call freezing temps and blowing snow decent driving weather.
I usually drop the trailer and bobtail home. I didn’t this time though as we’re expecting some bad weather, like everyone else I suppose. I parked the truck/trailer at a local truck stop this afternoon and got a ride home. Home for the holiday now and about to crack open my first beer in a month.

I usually drop the trailer and bobtail home. I didn’t this time though as we’re expecting some bad weather, like everyone else I suppose. I parked the truck/trailer at a local truck stop this afternoon and got a ride home. Home for the holiday now and about to crack open my first beer in a month.
Good to know you are home for the holiday and will spend time with family. Have a great Christmas and special time with your family.

Was checking my GPS this morning before heading out for my first run of 2023. I started this new venture of driving in 2019. Since I started I’ve driven a little over 396,000 miles.

2019 50,335.33
2020 107,945.27
2021 116,428.43
2022 121,530.81

A lot of miles. Especially considering I take about 5-6 weeks of vacation each year.

Was checking my GPS this morning before heading out for my first run of 2023. I started this new venture of driving in 2019. Since I started I’ve driven a little over 396,000 miles.

2019 50,335.33
2020 107,945.27
2021 116,428.43
2022 121,530.81

A lot of miles. Especially considering I take about 5-6 weeks of vacation each year.
That's quite an accomplishment!! A few more years and the one million mile mark!! My New Year wish for you is that you have a healthy and accident free year on the road, while planning and executing quality time with your family and this five to six weeks of vacation time.

That's quite an accomplishment!! A few more years and the one million mile mark!! My New Year wish for you is that you have a healthy and accident free year on the road, while planning and executing quality time with your family and this five to six weeks of vacation time.
I echo that sentiment.

Thanks. I appreciate that.

North of the border today. Saint Thomas, QC. Just north of Montreal. I never like delivering in this region. I don’t speak French so there’s always challenging communication. I’ve been to this particular location before so I’ve got a good idea as to their routine. They’re running behind so it looks like I’m sitting for a while.

If the weather reports we see here are accurate you"ll travel in all kinds of bad conditions but probably some good as well. Hopefully when you reach your destination you will find the facility still standing. Seems as if California is trying to destroy itself either with rain, mud slides, forest fires, earthquakes or drought. Did I leave anything out that is a natural event?
Have a safe trip and keep checking in. ;)

If the weather reports we see here are accurate you"ll travel in all kinds of bad conditions but probably some good as well. Hopefully when you reach your destination you will find the facility still standing. Seems as if California is trying to destroy itself either with rain, mud slides, forest fires, earthquakes or drought. Did I leave anything out that is a natural event?
Have a safe trip and keep checking in. ;)
Note that doesn’t paint a great picture. I’m 1200 miles into my route. Outside of a little rain, all’s been good.

Currently in Saint Robert, MO. Hope to make it to San Jon, NM by the end of my day tomorrow. Weather looks good for my route to there.

..... Currently in Saint Robert, MO. Hope to make it to San Jon, NM by the end of my day tomorrow. Weather looks good for my route to there.

Does Walter White still ship from New Mexico?

Back
Top Bottom