If Carl Edwards didn't retire...

jaqua19

Team Owner
What would his his win totals look like? He'd be Toyotas #2.

With Toyota's rise to power, would Carl have a title by now? Would he break 40 wins? He had 29 when he retired

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I think he would have won a championship by now with JGR. I’m still sad he retired he was at the top of his game

It's hard to predict championships given the nature of the playoff format, much as with the NCAA Basketball Tournament. I think he certainly would've won a good number of races though.

I was never a huge Carl supporter but it's hard not to miss him as he was one of the rare cases where he left on his own volition when he clearly had more in the tank. Not many, across sports of all kinds, leave you wanting more.

I didn’t feel that Carl fit in totally well at Gibbs. Just because a driver an organization are top notch it’s still no guarantee of success. So really who knows. Remember lagano had trouble there. I too wasn’t a huge Carl fan. But he is missed and was one of the sports characters. No one can know what he would have done other than he had more wins left in the tank

Accurate reflection of what could have been for Carl Edwards.

Doubt that. Martin has had 4 wins, 8 wins, 4 wins, 4 wins (still time left in 2019) since getting Gibbs equipment. Carl had 2 wins and 3 wins and really kinda lucked his way into Homestead in 2016.

Sorry I just don't buy the Carl JGR koolaid like everyone else. He probably deserved a title after some of his runs at Roush though.

There is a lot of people that don't give Martin the credit he deserves IMO.

I was always waiting to see if he was going to miss the back flip. Might be why he quit, he was worried also. :rolleyes: He sure left the preacher high and dry and babbling.

Doubt that. Martin has had 4 wins, 8 wins, 4 wins, 4 wins (still time left in 2019) since getting Gibbs equipment. Carl had 2 wins and 3 wins and really kinda lucked his way into Homestead in 2016.

Sorry I just don't buy the Carl JGR koolaid like everyone else. He probably deserved a title after some of his runs at Roush though.

There is a lot of people that don't give Martin the credit he deserves IMO.
Carl was a better driver than Martin. Results in this package in these Toyotas aren't as indicative as you'd think.

Carl was a better talent, 85% of this board would tell you so. Carl also almost won 2 titles against Tony Stewart and Jimmie Johnson as Roush's sole contender in a more driver impact package.

Objection sustained. The plaintiff will restrict his line of questioning to topics that don't ask the witnesses to make wild-ass guesses.

I WANT THE TRUTH!!!!!!!!

YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!!!!!

What would his his win totals look like? He'd be Toyotas #2.

With Toyota's rise to power, would Carl have a title by now? Would he break 40 wins? He had 29 when he retired

I do not believe that Carl would have renewed his contract with Toyota....but if he had, the sky would have been the limit. Great talent.

It’s easy to think there would simply be some more wins on his stats... always hard to speculate what if’s like that.

As for championships, with the way things go these days. There are so many variables to making the final 4 battle. It’s no guarantee he’d have one of those by now.

Would have liked for him to stay in the 99. Not really a JGR fan myself.

Carl was a better driver than Martin. Results in this package in these Toyotas aren't as indicative as you'd think.

Carl was a better talent, 85% of this board would tell you so. Carl also almost won 2 titles against Tony Stewart and Jimmie Johnson as Roush's sole contender in a more driver impact package.

Truex was fairly average until he found Cole Pearn. You put a talent like Edwards with Pearn and they'd dominate.

Truex was fairly average until he found Cole Pearn. You put a talent like Edwards with Pearn and they'd dominate.

You make a really good point. I think if you look at FRR from 2013-15, the results are quite telling......

The 78 team in 2013, with Kurt Busch and Todd Berrier.....
11 top 5, 16 top 10, 448 laps led, 10th in points

The 78 team in 2014, with Martin Truex and Todd Berrier.....
1 top 5, 5 top 10, 1 lap led, 24th in points

The 78 team in 2015, with Martin Truex and Cole Pearn.....
8 top 5, 22 top 10, 567 laps led, 4th in points

Then they went to the JGR alliance with Toyota in 2016, and really took off. I certainly think Truex has improved as a driver over the latter half of his career, but I think it's pretty clear that Pearn is the main factor in his success. Kurt performed WAYYYYYY better in the same car, same CC. I think a talent like Kurt or Carl would have dominated with a CC like Pearn.

Funny enough, I just came across this article from late 2015 which is kind of sad now.....

https://www.nascar.com/news-media/2015/11/19/three-cars-for-furniture-row-in-2020/

Furniture Row Racing general manager Joe Garone answered a fan question of where he saw his team in five years.

“I see three race teams, with a super strong relationship with Joe Gibbs Racing,” Garone replied.

Everyone says things like this. Yet Truex has 4, 8, 4 and 4 wins along with a championship the last 4 seasons. Is that not dominant?
Point is that Carl likely would have been just as good.

Truex is the most overrated champion of all time imo. Fast cars. Denny Hamlin level talent and has never impressed me in a car.

Point is that Carl likely would have been just as good.

Truex is the most overrated champion of all time imo. Fast cars. Denny Hamlin level talent and has never impressed me in a car.

Correct. His wins are usually snoozefests where he has a car that's 3 tenths better than the rest. He doesn't have those wow moments like the Busch brothers or Harvick or Logano do.

Correct. His wins are usually snoozefests where he has a car that's 3 tenths better than the rest. He doesn't have those wow moments like the Busch brothers or Harvick or Logano do.

Yet Truex didn't have the best car at Homestead in 2017 and still managed to give us a wow moment by beating Busch.

If Carl didn't retire...where would Truex be right now?

Everyone says things like this. Yet Truex has 4, 8, 4 and 4 wins along with a championship the last 4 seasons. Is that not dominant?
I'm not buying the "Truex is average" narrative either. So you mean to tell me an average driver is capable of fairly, consistently besting the likes of Kyle Busch, Joey Logano, Brad Keselowski, Kevin Harvick et al? So any old Average Joe paired up with a genius crew chief can whip everybody's asses? I'm not taking anything away from the significance of Cole Pearn and his stellar, Chad Knaus-level ability as a crew chief, but I'm not buying this story. It's funny because the main guy I see on here pushing this narrative forward is an ardent supporter of another very prolific driver, who has seven championships, but many people like to knock his accomplishments by mentioning who his crew chief was for the vast majority of his career.

Yet Truex didn't have the best car at Homestead in 2017 and still managed to give us a wow moment by beating Busch.
Wasn't really that wow. Kyle ran him down then couldn't get to his bumper. Was more so aero and tirewear.

Regardless, this thread is about Carl, not Truex.

Back
Top Bottom