If NASCAR is serious about intentionally wrecking other drivers...

Often NASCAR has its hands tied by perception - was it intentional or not? Usually the offending driver(s) deny that it was intentional, making NASCAR's call harder - but in this case Dillon admitted it, and then he and his car owner and team piled on to justify it.

NASCAR wants to grow, or at least stop its shrinkage, and it wants to be the leading car racing league. It gets a ton of pre-race, race, and post-race coverage and commentary. In the past it realized that while some banging and controversy helps ratings, letting it go overboard costs sponsors and market share. With all of its coverage NASCAR needs to remember that it is shaping the mindsets of young racers, some of whom will become its future stars.

When Earnhardt Sr. was rough-riding his competition, NASCAR and even he admitted that things needed to get toned down. To the nonracing public it appears to be bullying and unsportsmanlike. There are more dollars in the nonracing public than in the hardcore fanbase. I was doing a lot of kart racing when Earnhardt was busting other drivers, and I saw kids in the karts emulating him. Dads were encouraging their kids to copy him. It lead to kids getting hurt and a lot of equipment getting torn up - and several racing teams that quit and were probably lost to racing (as competitors and fans) for good. That does not grow the sport.

"Rubbin' is racin'" is fine, but not "wrecking is racing" or "it's all good if you get what you want". None of these drivers are saints, and both Logano and Hamlin have had their cringeworthy moments too, but still the ends do not justify the means. Poor sportsmanship is usually not what an organization wants to be known for. NASCAR needs the general public to respect it rather than equate it with professional wrestling.

As I've said on another comment thread, we will see if NASCAR decides to crack down on this behavior (and pacify the general public, as has been its marketing policy for at least the past twenty years) or if it decides to placate the bloodthirsty minority who wants to see carnage. Because unless it disciplines this case hard (including Logano endangering people on pit road at the end) it will essentially tell the racers that "do onto others" is okay and that there are no rules during the last laps of a race.

This is an amazing comment.

Intentional contact being fair game is what makes NASCAR unique on the racing spectrum.
This is true, but I was embarrassed when somebody in the media world (sorry no reference, and I can't remember who) suggested that SVG was as good as he was at Chicago because he comes from a series where contact would have dire consequences....and this has helped him to work on his driving technique instead of bulldozing the guy ahead of him. It sometimes makes me wonder if NASCAR drivers have stunted the development of their talent in favor of this kind of bull****. I also worry that true justifiable contact is something from the past practiced by drivers who had a different ethic.

This is true, but I was embarrassed when somebody in the media world (sorry no reference, and I can't remember who) suggested that SVG was as good as he was at Chicago because he comes from a series where contact would have dire consequences....and this has helped him to work on his driving technique instead of bulldozing the guy ahead of him. It sometimes makes me wonder if NASCAR drivers have stunted the development of their talent in favor of this kind of bull****. I also worry that true justifiable contact is something from the past practiced by drivers who had a different ethic.
The points system with the playoffs and the 4 car lottery for the Championship is so over balanced on winning a single race that it IS like winning the lottery. It shames the body of work many drivers have over the season, and rewards wrecking to win along with a questioning that the best car/team doesn't necessarily win the Cup Championship. It is always hanging above the "playoffs" for me as the gerbils blow fake drama smoke up our asses.

The points system with the playoffs and the 4 car lottery for the Championship is so over balanced on winning a single race that it IS like winning the lottery. It shames the body of work many drivers have over the season, and rewards wrecking to win along with a questioning that the best car/team doesn't necessarily win the Cup Championship. It is always hanging above the "playoffs" for me as the gerbils blow fake drama smoke up our asses.
I don't know man....I think if you are good enough, you get the sponsors and the money, and don't have to rely on the stupid stuff Austin did. The system doesn't make these guys do this ****. Martin Truex Jr. doesn't seemed to be swayed by the system....maybe that has cost him, but I don't think he regrets the reputation he has.

I don't know man....I think if you are good enough, you get the sponsors and the money, and don't have to rely on the stupid stuff Austin did. The system doesn't make these guys do this ****. Martin Truex Jr. doesn't seemed to be swayed by the system....maybe that has cost him, but I don't think he regrets the reputation he has.
I noticed you didn't use Hamlin as an example lol.

Back
Top Bottom