IMSA 2017

Yeah, I forgot about them. That and I slept through part of the race. Been working too hard.

That's why I was surprised to see it up front. At Lemans the Orecas absolutely and savagely slayed them. Same thing at Silverstone and Spa. It makes you wonder what that team found to be able to turn up the wick like that.

Yeah, but it's not a Cadillac! That's what my dad always used to say!

With a sportscar pedigree like theirs, I sure didn't see than coming. It's hard to believe they won't eventually get it right.

If they all just ran the same size production motors BOP would be a thing of the past. Like you say, we've got four really good, fast chassis. If they all ran pretty much the same kind of motor the competition would be like a feeding frenzy.

I hope the Nissan update includes a more elegant nose. The thing looks like a whale shark!
The ORECA is a monster on the tracks where you don't need as much downforce, in my opinion. That and their Le Mans-specific kit was also far and away better than anyone else's. The Dallara had a higher top speed but wasn't efficient enough and didn't handle well. Silverstone is pretty twisty and the Ligier won the ELMS race there so that and Watkins Glen tell me a lot about their high-downforce capabilities.

Even the Riley LMP3 looks really strange and...outdated. I'm not sure the one "joker" evolution they get in the four-year homologation period is going to be enough for them catch up. At this point I'm not sure why any customers would want to buy a Riley, which is really unfortunate.

The ORECA is a monster on the tracks where you don't need as much downforce, in my opinion. That and their Le Mans-specific kit was also far and away better than anyone else's.

That certainly makes sense. The Orecas were killing the Ligiers on the straight.

Even the Riley LMP3 looks really strange and...outdated. I'm not sure the one "joker" evolution they get in the four-year homologation period is going to be enough for them catch up. At this point I'm not sure why any customers would want to buy a Riley, which is really unfortunate.

The Visit Florida Riley was on the lead lap until the last hour at Daytona, so it can't be complete trash. I think the other teams are finding the sweet spot in their set ups and Visit Florida isn't They ran well initially but they have either fallen back or everyone else has improved.. Since nothing else changed on the Riley, I can only guess the team is not getting very much out of the car. All the other makes seem to be right in the fight.

Got done watching the race in full. Phenomenal stuff. The #10 and the #85 were nearly inseparable almost two hours - no full-course yellows needed! JDC-Miller have been a revelation this year. The weather just didn't go their way.

Jordan really didn't need to force the issue there; I'm not sure what that was about. He had a substantial lead. Katherine Legge was also surprisingly erratic early on. The NSX does have some really high rear wheel arches and very little window area.

DFBOA0pXUAANcEV.jpg

PROTOTYPE (P) (P) ENTRIES - 8
TEAM SPONSOR CAR TYPE TIRE ENGINE FUEL
E-20C
Scott Sharp USA 2 Ryan Dalziel GBR Continental
Tequila Patron
Nissan DPi
Tequila Patron ESM
E-20C
Joao Barbosa PRT 5 Christian Fittipaldi BRA Continental
Mustang Sampling
Cadillac DPi
Mustang Sampling Racing
E-20C
Ricky Taylor USA 10 Jordan Taylor USA Continental
Konica Minolta Business Solutions USA
Cadillac DPi
Konica Minolta Cadillac DPi-V.R
E-20C
Johannes van Overbeek USA 22 Luis Felipe Derani BRA Continental
Tequila Patron
Nissan DPi
Tequila Patron ESM
E-20C
Dane Cameron USA 31 Eric Curran USA Continental
Whelen Engineering
Cadillac DPi
Whelen Engineering Racing
E-20C
Jose Gutierrez MEX 52 Olivier Pla FRA Continental
Westward American Whiskey / Prisma
Ligier LMP2
PR1/Mathiasen Motorsports
E-20C
Misha Goikhberg RUS 85 Stephen Simpson ZAF Continental
Hi-Tide Boat Lifts / Red Line Oil / Justice Brothers
ORECA LMP2
JDC-Miller Motorsports
E-20C
Marc Goossens BEL 90 Renger Van Der Zande NLD Continental
Visit Florida
Ligier LMP2
VisitFlorida Racing
CAR NO. DRIVERS & NATIONALITY
PROTOTYPE CHALLENGE (PC) (PC) ENTRIES - 3
E-10
Don Yount USA 20 Buddy Rice USA Continental
Gas Monkey Energy Drink
ORECA FLM09
BAR1 Motorsports
ORECA
E-10
Mark Kvamme USA 26 Gustavo Yacaman COL Continental
Top1 Oil
ORECA FLM09
BAR1 Motorsports
ORECA
E-10
James French USA 38 Patricio O'Ward MEX Continental
Ric-Man Construction / Neurospine Institute / AIG
Technologies / Topo-Chico ORECA FLM09
Performance Tech Motorsports
ORECA
8/3/2017 4:35 pm Page 1 of 3
GT LE MANS (GTLM) (GTLM) ENTRIES - 8
E-20C
Jan Magnussen DNK 3 Antonio Garcia ESP Michelin
GM
Corvette C7.R
Corvette Racing
Chevrolet
E-20C
Oliver Gavin GBR 4 Tommy Milner USA Michelin
GM
Corvette C7.R
Corvette Racing
Chevrolet
E-20C
John Edwards USA 24 Martin Tomczyk DEU Michelin
BMW NA
BMW M6 GTLM
BMW Team RLL
BMW
E-20C
Bill Auberlen USA 25 Alexander Sims GBR Michelin
BMW NA
BMW M6 GTLM
BMW Team RLL
BMW
E-20C
Dirk Mueller DEU 66 Joey Hand USA Michelin
Ford
Ford GT
Ford Chip Ganassi Racing
Ford
E-20C
Ryan Briscoe USA 67 Richard Westbrook GBR Michelin
Ford
Ford GT
Ford Chip Ganassi Racing
Ford
E-20C
Patrick Pilet FRA 911 Dirk Werner DEU Porsche 911 RSR Michelin
Porsche GT Team
Porsche
E-20C
Laurens Vanthoor BGR 912 Gianmaria Bruni ITA Porsche 911 RSR Michelin
Porsche GT Team
Porsche
GT DAYTONA (GTD) (GTD) ENTRIES - 16
E-10
Sage Karam USA 14 Robert Alon USA Lexus RCF GT3 Continental
3GT Racing
Lexus
E-10
Jack Hawksworth GBR 15 Scott Pruett USA Continental
Mark Levinson Luxury Audio
Lexus RCF GT3
3GT Racing
Lexus
E-10
Jeroen Mul NLD 16 Corey Lewis USA Continental
XBOX / Monster Energy / Orion Lighting
Lamborghini
Huracan GT3
Change Racing
Lamborghini
E-10
Daniel Morad CAN 28 Michael de Quesada USA Continental
Insync
Porsche 911 GT3 R
Alegra Motorsports
Porsche
E-10
Ben Keating USA 33 Jeroen Bleekemolen NLD Mercedes-AMG Continental
GT3
Riley Motorsports - Team AMG
Mercedes-AMG
8/3/2017 4:40 pm Page 2 of 3
GT DAYTONA (GTD) (GTD) ENTRIES - 16
E-10
Bryan Sellers USA 48 Madison Snow USA Continental
TOTAL Lubricants / UIS / Paul Miller Auto Group
Lamborghini
Huracan GT3
Paul Miller Racing
Lamborghini
E-10
Cooper MacNeil USA 50 Gunnar Jeannette USA Continental
WeatherTech
Porsche 911 GT3 R
Riley Motorsports - WeatherTech
Racing Porsche
E-10
Jonathan Bennett USA 54 Colin Braun USA Continental
Composite Resources / Flexbox
Porsche 911 GT3 R
CORE autosport
Porsche
E-10
Lawson Aschenbach USA 57 Andrew Davis USA Continental
Stevenson Automotive Group
Audi R8 LMS GT3
Stevenson Motorsports
Audi
E-10
Christina Nielsen DNK 63 Alessandro Balzan ITA Ferrari 488 GT3 Continental
Scuderia Corsa
Ferrari
E-10
Patrick Lindsey USA 73 Joerg Bergmeister DEU Continental
Park Place Porsche
Porsche 911 GT3 R
Park Place Motorsports
Porsche
E-10
Tristan Vautier FRA 75 Kenny Habul USA Continental
SunEnergy1
Mercedes-AMG
GT3
SunEnergy1 Racing
Mercedes-AMG
E-10
Dan Knox USA 80 Mike Skeen USA Continental
ACS Manufacturing / Lone Star Racing
Mercedes-AMG
GT3
Lone Star Racing
Mercedes-AMG
E-10
Jeff Segal USA 86 Oswaldo Negri Jr. BRA Continental
Acura / Curb Records
Acura NSX GT3
Michael Shank Racing w/
Curb-Agajanian Acura
E-10
Andy Lally USA 93 Katherine Legge GBR Continental
Acura / Curb Records
Acura NSX GT3
Michael Shank Racing w/
Curb-Agajanian Acura
E-10
Jens Klingmann DEU 96 Jesse Krohn FIN Continental
Turner Motorsport
BMW M6 GT3
Turner Motorsport
BMW
TOTAL ENTRIES

Trying to keep an eye on IMSA today, its hard though. 48 mins to go , the 85 Gibson in the lead. Woot Woot. That's new!

Kind of prophetic, eh?

WT-Road-America-Social-Tile.jpg

Great win for Pipo Durani and the Nissan. They had the pace on the Caddilacs and Durani drove the wheels off it. Up and down the field the DPIs raced hard and close, so the BOP is about right and it's all coming together for the division. The next race ought to b great too. I'de like to see one of the P2s car get a win.

Special mention to VFR for getting back into the game with their Ligier. They didn't get the result they wanted but they ran really well and looked good. Might be the dark horse for Laguna.

Last edited:
Really, if IMSA is your series, it's time to get behind them and push like hell. Times are good and getting better. It's time to get on board.

Pretty much every race this year has been really good, but now we have seen the Cadillacs beaten outright in a fair race for the first time. The P2 cars were really in the fight too. All of this is good news because we are going to need really fast cars and good teams to hold off Penske and Joest next year.

Just about every prototype in the race was competitive and no one actually got blown out. This shows me the BOP is pretty close and they probably don't need to adjust it until the Roar, if even then. I'm sure they will be slapping the Joest and Penske cars around, but the rest of the field is really sweetly balanced.

Now all we need is for the FIA to wake up, compensate the privateers teams who are building LMP1 cars, and envoke Force Majeure to euthanize the last gasps of the LMP1 farce. Then, adopt a unified DPI/P2 class (essentially IMSA's rules to the letter), and then we could have a bright new era.

Really, if IMSA is your series, it's time to get behind them and push like hell. Times are good and getting better. It's time to get on board.

Pretty much every race this year has been really good, but now we have seen the Cadillacs beaten outright in a fair race for the first time. The P2 cars were really in the fight too. All of this is good news because we are going to need really fast cars and good teams to hold off Penske and Joest next year.

Just about every prototype in the race was competitive and no one actually got blown out. This shows me the BOP is pretty close and they probably don't need to adjust it until the Roar, if even then. I'm sure they will be slapping the Joest and Penske cars around, but the rest of the field is really sweetly balanced.

Now all we need is for the FIA to wake up, compensate the privateers teams who are building LMP1 cars, and envoke Force Majeure to euthanize the last gasps of the LMP1 farce. Then, adopt a unified DPI/P2 class (essentially IMSA's rules to the letter), and then we could have a bright new era.
From Watkins Glen onwards the field has been really, really close. It was just a matter of time before Cadillac lost, and honestly, it should've happened earlier. PR1 are a threat whenever Pla is in the car and now that VFR have a Ligier as well, damn, the competition is just so tight.

From Watkins Glen onwards the field has been really, really close. It was just a matter of time before Cadillac lost, and honestly, it should've happened earlier. PR1 are a threat whenever Pla is in the car and now that VFR have a Ligier as well, damn, the competition is just so tight.

Don't forget that Miller Motorsports will have a second next year too, and they have run exceptionally well this year. With Penske and Joest coming it's going to be really fierce. The Mazdas have been almost invisible this year, to the point I didn't even realize they were not running at road America until about half distance, but that won't happen with Joest running them next year. They are going to be in the fight from the first hour of the Rolex on. Should be a fascinating season.

Add to that, we still don't know one way or the other if Porsche or Toyota are putting something together. It's a little late for next year but it could be done, and definitely doable for 2019. Seeing as how an LMP1 budget was reportedly between $100-200 million dollars, Porsche and Audi could easily run their Formula E programs and have enough left over to comfortably put a customer IMSA program together. That, and Ford (or even better, Lincoln) really needs to be there to counter Cadillac,. There's unlimited possibility here as long as IMSA keeps a lid on costs and everyone competitive.

Don't forget that Miller Motorsports will have a second next year too, and they have run exceptionally well this year. With Penske and Joest coming it's going to be really fierce. The Mazdas have been almost invisible this year, to the point I didn't even realize they were not running at road America until about half distance, but that won't happen with Joest running them next year. They are going to be in the fight from the first hour of the Rolex on. Should be a fascinating season.

Add to that, we still don't know one way or the other if Porsche or Toyota are putting something together. It's a little late for next year but it could be done, and definitely doable for 2019. Seeing as how an LMP1 budget was reportedly between $100-200 million dollars, Porsche and Audi could easily run their Formula E programs and have enough left over to comfortably put a customer IMSA program together. That, and Ford (or even better, Lincoln) really needs to be there to counter Cadillac,. There's unlimited possibility here as long as IMSA keeps a lid on costs and everyone competitive.
I've seen that Ganassi is trying to convince Ford to do DPi after the GT contract ends after the 2019 season.

What a finish in just about all the classes at Leguna Seca! Petit ticket in hand, CAN NOT WAIT !

Back
Top Bottom