IMSA 2017

Really enjoyed Laguna and was thrilled for Team Florida. They have had a tough year, but I think they now have that Ligier dialed in. We already know that at lemans the entire P2 field could hardly kill one of those Gibsons, so VF goes into the Petite as one of the favorites. They probably didn't see that coming when they were running the Riley.

Speaking of which, I read the ACO is going to give Riley what amounts to a do over. They are getting both a bodywork and a chassis joker. Maybe not too fair to the other teams, but then again, recent race results shows IMSA knows what it's doing.

I've been telling everyone since 2004 to just stop fretting over things. Enjoy the racing because the split was friendly and wouldn't last. We knew the merger was going to give us a few tough years, but when IMSA rolled out it's finished product it was damm ready to roll. Grand American said from the beginning they would not push the marketing until the series had a good enough product, and now they do. All we need now is the nascar marketing machine to pitch it to the masses and we could very easily see a sportcar renaissance like we haven't seen since the GTP days.

P2
When you also look at the fierce P2 WEC races at Mexico and COTA, it's pretty clear these cars are absolutely the way forward. The ACO is in a bad position because if a P2 car wins Lemans the embarrassment would be unbearable. They are not going to be able to rely on Bykolles to save the day, and given the P2's reliability, a GT car isn't going to get it done either. At this point the only choices the ACO has is to either drop P2 from Lemans (think that won't cause a revolt?), or adopt DPI to run alongside the P2 cars in a dedicated prototype class.

What this would give us is a one world formula for prototype racing, something we have not had since, I guess, forever. This would play out big in keeping the P2 chassis builders healthy, give engine and body kit manufacturers a chance to make money instead of bleed it, and finally thrust the

What a finish in just about all the classes at Leguna Seca! Petit ticket in hand, CAN NOT WAIT !
I have been to race past couple years and we love it. Not sure we will be going this year. I hope you have a great time!

It was some great racing, was it not. My friend got tickets from his brother for the third level of the tower at the start \ finish line. Absolutely the best place to watch from. What you couldn't see of the track from there, they had monitors that you could watch what was going on, where you couldn't see the track. The Whelean no 31 LMP had one of his spotters up there. They had catered lunch and drinks up there for free. His brother hooked us up!

It was some great racing, was it not. My friend got tickets from his brother for the third level of the tower at the start \ finish line. Absolutely the best place to watch from. What you couldn't see of the track from there, they had monitors that you could watch what was going on, where you couldn't see the track. The Whelean no 31 LMP had one of his spotters up there. They had catered lunch and drinks up there for free. His brother hooked us up!
Wow, that was an awesome loop to be in.

So it looks like no NASCAR drivers so far in the Rolex 24, some Indy car drivers and Fernando. It's cool when drivers cross over to other series I am a big fan of that, but was hoping some more Cup guys would be racing. Not sure If I am going to the race yet or not, I had so much fun during this years Rolex

So it looks like no NASCAR drivers so far in the Rolex 24

That's a shame. The year the Earnhardts ran interest was off the charts. The next year there where a whole bunch of cup drivers and the sport got a hell of a lot of exposure. We are going to have plenty of cars so I was hoping we could get more Cup drivers.

, some Indy car drivers and Fernando

It won't generate the same kind of buzz as when he ran the 500, but Alonso is definitely going to stir up some interest. He's going to be in a good car too.

It's cool when drivers cross over to other series I am a big fan of that, but was hoping some more Cup guys would be racing.

It's also great for the series because the media picks up on it. The year after the Earnhardts there a lot of coverage all over the place, and that's when the Grand American took off.

So it looks like no NASCAR drivers so far in the Rolex 24, some Indy car drivers and Fernando. It's cool when drivers cross over to other series I am a big fan of that, but was hoping some more Cup guys would be racing. Not sure If I am going to the race yet or not, I had so much fun during this years Rolex
That's a shame. The year the Earnhardts ran interest was off the charts. The next year there where a whole bunch of cup drivers and the sport got a hell of a lot of exposure. We are going to have plenty of cars so I was hoping we could get more Cup drivers.
A big factor is that next year the grid is going to be competitive that you almost have to specialize in prototypes or other light, quick cars (IndyCar, for instance). The field next year is going to be the deepest and most talented in years, and that's in terms of both drivers and teams. Gordon was good for a fourth driver this year but still the slowest Cadillac driver and very unfamiliar with cold, wet conditions so he only got in the car twice.

Jr. said as much as well: http://motorsports.nbcsports.com/20...msa-growth-all-but-rules-out-rolex-24-return/

Not that it couldn't happen, because there are currently only about ten or eleven full confirmed Prototype lineups. Seats are still out there. But it's unlikely.

A big factor is that next year the grid is going to be competitive that you almost have to specialize in prototypes or other light, quick cars (IndyCar, for instance). The field next year is going to be the deepest and most talented in years, and that's in terms of both drivers and teams. Gordon was good for a fourth driver this year but still the slowest Cadillac driver and very unfamiliar with cold, wet conditions so he only got in the car twice.

Jr. said as much as well: http://motorsports.nbcsports.com/20...msa-growth-all-but-rules-out-rolex-24-return/

Not that it couldn't happen, because there are currently only about ten or eleven full confirmed Prototype lineups. Seats are still out there. But it's unlikely.
Are the lineups for both Ganassi cars released? Chip has to find four guys from somewhere, and he's used Kyle and Jamie successfully in the past. Was he able to fill the slots strictly with his open wheel drivers?

Same questions regarding Penske's extra seats, now that I think about it.

Are the lineups for both Ganassi cars released? Chip has to find four guys from somewhere, and he's used Kyle and Jamie successfully in the past. Was he able to fill the slots strictly with his open wheel drivers?

Chip has so many Ford GT drivers I lost track of them. I'm sure he can also use one of the drivers from the WEC program.

Same questions regarding Penske's extra seats, now that I think about it.[/QUOTE]

Not hard to imagine Pagenaud in one car, and power would probably jump at the chance. Maybe even Newgarden.

What I'm wondering about is who's going to fill the Joest seats.

Same questions regarding Penske's extra seats, now that I think about it.
I'd expect Bourdais and Dixon to be the endurance drivers for the Team USA entries again. Maybe if they bring the Team UK cars over again Kyle or Jamie could get a ride again, but I don't know how the dynamic there between manufacturers and drivers works. They haven't raced the full factory GTs before, just the old DPs.

Graham Rahal and Pagenaud got the Penske endurance seats; they're sticking to three-driver lineups for the endurance events.

Back
Top Bottom