IMSA 2020

The new Corvettes were the slowest in the first practice
I think the change in sound of the C8 will take some time to adjust to. It sounds good, but not that thunderous roar of the push rod V8:

They were the slowest in their class in the first ROAR practice.

This guy is pretty good, shows a lot of the cars sitting still in the garages, many in pieces and good shots of them coming back into the garage after being on the track. Ryan Hunter-Ray @ 13:05

@FLRacingFan did you go today or are you going this weekend? Curious how the Corvettes sound out there. I was thinking about going tomorrow but the weather looks pretty bad. May just hold out for the Rolex.

Sidenote, we should meet up for a bit if you go this year. I'll be there with the lady and I'm bringing my dad for his first time.
I wound up being lazy yesterday and didn't wanna deal with the rain on the way over today either so I haven't gone. Might be able to make it if I decide to head back out east (I live in Melbourne now) early tomorrow but that doesn't seem likely.

From the videos I've seen from Lanky Turtle, Buddy Bryan, etc. on YouTube the 'vettes definitely don't have the same rumble but they don't sound bad at least. They don't shake the earth like they used to but I don't hate that sound.

This will be fun to listen to when he posts it:

Sounds like the Penske cars are going to be pretty strong for the overall winners podium

Kyle Busch brings the Rowdy show to the Rolex 24 at Daytona

https://apnews.com/347711faf1e73171...lFlow&utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=AP_Sports
Going to be very interesting to see how quickly Kyle can adapt to the braking zones in these cars. Driving the hell out of it and mashing on the brakes sounds like something he'd love if he can just break out of the Cup mold for a month and get the confidence to do so. The AVS Lexuses are shaping up well so far and Hawksworth is a great teammate to have.

Pit stall/garage selection qualifying in GTD and LMP2 today.

Mazda and Porsche look like the strongest in DPi and GTLM through all of the practices so far.

Sidenote, we should meet up for a bit if you go this year. I'll be there with the lady and I'm bringing my dad for his first time.
I haven't sorted out my plans yet but I think I'll be there for at least the weekend as usual. If I can I want to try to hit Friday too because the four-hour race is always fun and they added the Ferrari Challenge doubleheader back too.

Should be another fun Mazda durability watch for the full 24 hours

I remember when they set the lap record in qualifying last year and then neither car made it through hour seven unscathed...no doubt about it being a quick piece, a good team, or a good driver lineup but that durability is always a concern for them at Daytona/Sebring/Petit. All part of the fun and challenge but I'd like to see them grab one of the big ones for sure.

I remember when they set the lap record in qualifying last year and then neither car made it through hour seven unscathed...no doubt about it being a quick piece, a good team, or a good driver lineup but that durability is always a concern for them at Daytona/Sebring/Petit. All part of the fun and challenge but I'd like to see them grab one of the big ones for sure.
They definitely held together better in the last half of the season. But they're still the team to watch for those people who complain Cup cars are too reliable and don't break down enough these days.

Time to check my NBC app and make sure the credentials are still good.

They definitely held together better in the last half of the season. But they're still the team to watch for those people who complain Cup cars are too reliable and don't break down enough these days.

Time to check my NBC app and make sure the credentials are still good.

Nothing like good ol' mechanical failure

I usually miss the prototype challenge races, but more out of not knowing when they are on than lack of interest. I have watched a few and this is a jolly good class. I wish they would run these cars with the DPIs and give the GT cars their own race. The racing between these cars is really good, and usually very clean. The cars look pretty good too./

Hey, somebody please start the Rolex thread so we can all work ourselves into a frenzy before the weekend.

"It’s believed the new infraction was a simple oversight, with the brand assuming the need for specific gearing to be requirement only for the race, and not the Roar."

Is it common to have a different set of specs for Q than the race itself? Why would anyone make that assumption?
These are the relevant paragraphs under 9.11.5:

c. Declared Daytona Gear Set must be used for Daytona Events.
d. FIA Homologated Gear Set must be used for Sebring Events.
e. Either the FIA Homologated or Short/Street Circuit Gear Set must be used for remaining Events.

There shouldn't be any reason for them not to use the race weekend gearing at the Roar. Another outlet reported they were using the same gearing used for the regular season events...probably better on acceleration and lower on top end and why they performed so poorly in qualifying despite dominating in practices.

Two GTD Sprint Cup entries announced this past week and another may be announced this coming week. There may be about as many entries in the sprint races where all classes are present as there are at Daytona and Sebring, which probably says more about the strength of the series as a whole right now.

Two more for the Sprint Cup as Rick Ware’s quest for world domination thunders on. An “ex-factory talent” is supposed to join Cody Ware in the car.

With the WEC finally a bit more competitive, it's a shame we're going to lose the race this weekend. It doesn't look like they are going to reschedule it either or they would have said "postponed."

Thankfully Sebring will be run in November, which is smack in the middle of the best Florida weather of the year. It will be a little less crazy because they won't be as many drunks on spring break.. The championship will probably be on the line in that race too, so it will definitely be worth going.

More races keep getting cancelled/postponed. It's going to be a very long spring with no racing to watch. I don't think I can watch another moment of the Rolex. I've gone to sleep watching that every night for about a month! We need a damm race!

The upside is that now every race we do get will be critically important. You will simply not be able to afford to give up a single point because of the limited opportunity to make them up.

If we do get a Petite, I wonder if it will still be double points. If so, as the finale, does Sebring get double points too? If so, you can have a crap season and the last two races count as four races, those will be even more important. With all those points on tap, no one will be out of contention until the last checkered flag, and that's kind of what we want.

First we have to live through this. Once the racing resumes, all the teams will have had time to get their ducks lined up, so I expect this could be the best sportscar racing we have ever seen.

Hindy and crew calling the I race at Sebring. Heck, its just
great hearing Hindy again !

Back
Top Bottom