IMSA 2021

All of the testing this week was at Road America, so I’d guess Charlotte or setting stuff up at VIR?

Ganassi likely to run a second DPi in 2022 in the run-up to the new 2023 regulations, where they’ll probably still be a factory GM team along with AXR (who would quite possibly expand their relationship with HMS as well).

The return of the #02?

A certain Mazda team is closing. Don't be surprised if Ticknell/Bomarito/Jarvis being in the car.

Ganassi likely to run a second DPi in 2022 in the run-up to the new 2023 regulations, where they’ll probably still be a factory GM team along with AXR (who would quite possibly expand their relationship with HMS as well).

They were discussing AXR possibily being sold to Hendrick, Nelson denies it. We'll see, but I wonder if Chad Knaus has something to do with getting that sports car itch:

Pretty good field of 35 at Road America this Sunday. Same-day delayed broadcast is on NBCSN at 8 PM ET after the IndyCar race.

They usually do the state of the sport address here so the 2022 schedule probably comes out at some point.

Projected 2022 schedule:
IMSA-21-2022-Schedule-Full-Series-Web_IWSC.jpg

I hate Long Beach. It destroys cars for no good reason, I'de rather see the prototypes run somewhere cool, like say, VIR, or like last year, two races at Daytona, Sebring or Atlanta.

Sure, we're only there for the prestige, but how many of us can remember who won the last one without looking t up? I don't think the "prestige" helps us any. None of those Indycar fans will give a damm about us, so we're not going to make any new fans either. The only reason to go there is parade around and tear up cars, at exactly when the teams can afford it the least.

A little odd to see Laguna in April, but the schedule (excluding LB) looks pretty much like what we are used to.

Last edited:
I’m glad common sense prevailed and they opted for common rules for GTD Pro and GTD next season. Same BoP, same tires, same refueling system. Less expensive and the teams and drivers should make the difference between the two.

Not really a surprise but they confirmed that USA and Peacock will also pick up IMSA coverage next season. The opening hour and closing two hours of the Rolex will be on NBC again and Laguna Seca got moved to April because they had room for another NBC slot there.

I’m glad common sense prevailed and they opted for common rules for GTD Pro and GTD next season. Same BoP, same tires, same refueling system. Less expensive and the teams and drivers should make the difference between the two.
Yikes, does this mean GT Pro will race with ABS and traction control? No bueno.

Yikes, does this mean GT Pro will race with ABS and traction control? No bueno.
GTE already had TC built in but yes, they’ll be full GT3 compliant. They and DTM already found a while back they couldn’t just remove everything without it being timely and costly. The increased commonality was more trying to eliminate equipment differences between classes and needing to run to different performance tables.

I’d expect the Pro drivers to keep using settings that involve less intervention from the electronics though. The driver aids are adjustable within the car and intended for and used most by the Am drivers.

It appears Nasr will become an Audi factory driver, opening up the spot alongside Derani for 2022 and beyond. The 48 is expected to return for the endurance races, also with a driver change (I would guess Pagenaud is headed elsewhere).

Call me crazy, but if Bourdais does not have any funding or if the Kellett is not interested in paying more for him to be at Foyt Enterprises...

I can see Seb stepping into that full-time role.

Gabe Newell and Heart of Racing is expanding to two cars:

Alex Riberas will be in the second car.

Almost forgot about this one but IMSA is at Laguna Seca today, going to have to be a DVR day for me. WTR and MSR Acuras swept the front row.

Some questionable driving at times during this one. The WTR Acura survived a scare when two LMP2 cars wrecked ahead in the Corkscrew on the final lap. van der Zande on Nasr for 2nd was probably the pass of the race. MSR missed the strategy again, taking the lead a few times with a two-stop fuel save but ultimately having to slow down too much compared to the three-stoppers in the final stretch.

Oof at the LMP2 get together on the last lap.

Let me drive next time, I know the Laguna Seca like the back of my hand, over a thousand laps logged (forza).

Split program for Lexus next season with one car in GTD and one in GTD Pro.

Corvette, BMW, Porsche, Lamborghini all sounding likely for GTD Pro in 2022 as well right now.

Split program for Lexus next season with one car in GTD and one in GTD Pro.

Corvette, BMW, Porsche, Lamborghini all sounding likely for GTD Pro in 2022 as well right now.

Good move.

Another competitive car for Pro and another that keeps its spot in the solidified GTD class.

Not to mention with GT3s takeover, it probably means data sharing becomes that much easier.

Pivotal race tomorrow with the penultimate race for DPi, third-to-last race for GTD in their championship battles. Cadillac swept the top three spots in qualifying with their dominant street course form. GTD has 17 cars entered, the second-most of the season behind the Rolex 24.

LBTuneIn-1024x576.jpg

Magnussen’s been a bit of a wild child this season honestly. CGR have have had a lot of dust-ups this season.

The championship fight between the 10 and 31 should basically boil down to who finishes ahead of the other at Petit.

Helio might be replacing Pla, whose last outing at Long Beach ended in a goofy crash while passing GT traffic, at Petit next month. With Dane Cameron probably headed back to Penske it means MSR will probably have an all-new full time lineup next year.

Almost forgot about this one but GTLM and GTD are at VIR today, noon ET on big NBC before the Xfinity race. One to DVR until Monday for me.

Helio might be replacing Pla, whose last outing at Long Beach ended in a goofy crash while passing GT traffic, at Petit next month.
Helio has the possibility of winning the IMSA championship, The Rolex, the Indianapolis 500 and the Petite lemans, all in roughly a one year period. Simply remarkable and already as epic as Gurney and Foyt's 1967 achievements.,

Let's just hope Shank doesn't go wonky off strategy. Beat them heads up on pace and don't play any games.

Back
Top Bottom